eBid - Buy and Sell online

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

stabalizer or no stabalizer??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Towing & technical
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TRayner

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 8:33    Post subject: stabalizer or no stabalizer?? Reply with quote

We have changed from a single axle caravan to a twin, my brother in law made a statment the other day saying "you dont need a stabalizer on a twin axle caravan" we towed ours the other week and it did not seem that stable at 50 - 60 miles an hour, seemed to snake a bit on me, I can deal with this but wondered what the group feeling is on this issue
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 8:33    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

gaz8460

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 9:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

take no notice a twin axle tows better and smoother but they still wobble when trucks overtake u. DEF USE STABILISER.
TRayner

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 9:26    Post subject: stabalizer or no stabalizer?? Reply with quote

Many thanks, you have just confirmed what I was thinking, I will go and get one today.
Ian 146

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 9:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tow a large twin and would recommend the Alko AKS 2700 stabilser never get any twitching or snaking, i would nt recommend the leaf spring style arm type stabilsers myself but people do use them and they are cheaper! but i always think with something like that if you 18 grands worth of van on back why not spend an extra £70 quid or so for the dogs wotsits. Laughing just in case Confused
ade

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 14:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tow a 26ft crusader superstorm, loaded correctly, forget the stabiliser.... loaded incorrectly and two stabilisers wont stop it snaking. the most important thing with these vans is loading.
Wink

have you considered an alko or witerhoff hitch??
TRayner

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 17:02    Post subject: stabalizer or no stabalizer?? Reply with quote

thanks Ade, I will check and see how we are loading it before the next trip, and thank you to all who replied Mr. Green
Uncle Foxy

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 21:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have towed mine with and without the stabiliser and didn't notice any difference at all. As Ade said, if you load it correctly it will feel nice and steady Very Happy I always load mine slightly heavier on the nose, not overloaded, but the weight slightly forward and I have never had a problem. As for trucks and coaches passing you, what you have to do is concentrate a whole lot more than if you didn't have the van on and watch your mirrors. If you know something is there then you have no excuse for it sneaking up on you Wink As the bigger vehicle approaches the rear of your van just ease more to the left of your lane, without going over the white line, and even lift off the gas a little, not slow down, just ease off a touch and this will reduce the effect of the tubulence caused by the bigger vehicle passing you Very Happy
Vanner

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 22:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Alko Tow Hitch Stabiliser and they are the dogs whats-is. Even when
car transporters come past, it doesn't flinch.

Was never really keen on the leaf spring type but it did it's job Ok......

Personally, I wouldn't tow without one, especially on the motorway..

acano

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 13:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think its safer to use one, after all you wouldn't want to find out when its to late!
nobby
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 21:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having had a very bad snake some years ago now, I would'nt tow without one Exclamation
Vanner

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 22:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

After this, i'll never tow without an Alko !!

HAD

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 16:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just been to southport this weekend with an Alko 2400 on our caraven and I agree with Vanner they are the Tigers Testicals. Towing at 60mph in middle lane with us passing waggons to our left and coaches passing us to our right there was not a twich for our Paj / caravan combo !!!
I would strongly recommend
Allthe best
HAD
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Towing & technical All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: