QuoteSeek comparison service

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

genny V solar V wind

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Caravanning discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NYRA
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Leo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

never mind the solar panel that one in the picture is a c,rap 30 watt one and i dont rate them to be honest  you never going to keep a big battery fully charged with a solar panel unless its a masssive one  ,, get one of these baby   250 watts of power   and chucks out 20 amps of charge out  on full belt  but it turns over nicey and keeps battery top up to full belt  and chargers threw the night two unlike a solar panel once it dark it useless  just my thoughts on them

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:35    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

big j
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

all free energy has it's good side and bad side. Yes solar panel's don't work at night but they only need daylight to work, how well does your wind genny work when there's no wind? We do get day's without so much as a breath of wind where as it's light most days. You pay's your money you make your choice. I looked into this for several months before i decided on solar, i listened to lot's of advice from users of both solar and wind before making MY choice
NYRA
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Leo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

all free energy has it's good side and bad side. Yes solar panel's don't work at night but they only need daylight to work, how well does your wind genny work when there's no wind  Smile

hi there  ,,i also did take months and months looking into to my needs for free power  not so free when you av to  buy the gear  Confused  Laughing   for my carvan battery/s  and this is  the reason behind me spending the £300   Shocked  yes not cheap but  some solar panels can cost that  ,,but  the wind  genny its a  gooden as it got it own motor with in  so once the battery get to  around 10 volts the in build motor kicks in and fires the  motor away ,, and chucks more charge back in to the batterys  than it takes out as its a low powered motor ,,  so even on  a no windy day it still works ,, i do still have a solar panel on  the top of my c/van  for the likes of chargeing fones and d,ss bairns game ,etc etc  but the beaty about this wind turbine  it will charge a 100 amp battery in less than 2 hours  were the solar panel even the biggest  one solar wise  would take days ,, but diffrent people need diffrent needs hence my choice on the wind genny ,, only thing i found with solar is ,, next time its sunny  try yours with the same wattage buld as your solar panel says   it gives out  on the back   ,hence 50 watts   try a car headlight on the panel    think you may/ will find it will not light it up  unless the panel is sitting next to the sun,   Wink
parksy

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 23:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are advantages and disadvantages to solar panels and to wind turbines.
My 80 watt panel keeps my 110 amp/ hour battery charged during the brighter summer months but it's not adequate for sole use in the winter which is why we ensure that between October and April we use sites with ehu whenever possible.
Large solar panels above 10 watts need a charge controller to prevent overcharging of the battery and a maximum power point tracking controller (MPPT) is more efficient than the most commonly used on caravans PWM controllers with around 30% more power being delivered to the battery by the MPPT.
Solar panels are silent, they can be fitted to caravan roofs and left alone except for the occasional clean and they don't weigh much so there is little penalty on the overall payload of the caravan even for a high wattage panel.
New technology has developed thin flexible lightweight panels which can be bonded to caravan, motorhome or boat roofs and an average panel should be good for 25 years.

Wind power is also 'free' provided that there is enough wind but to be honest I've yet to see a caravanner using a turbine like the one in the photograph to power up a touring caravan on site. The reason that I chose the solar route was that most of the guys on the weekly C&CC rallies that I go on which have no ehu use solar panels and they work well for all of us.
The obvious downsides to wind turbines are -
Where would it be mounted?
Is it noisy and likely to annoy other caravan users on the site?
Would the site let you erect it?  
Would it endanger children, birds, bats etc?
Good luck to you if it works for you but I couldn't be ar$ed to cart that thing around with me every time I used the caravan   Rolling Eyes  It's cumbersome and awkward.
I'll stick with my solar panel thanks  Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Caravanning discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: