Automotive handbooks / manuals

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Ratchet straps 5 ton +

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Green Laning Tips and Techniques
View previous topic :: View next topic  
markymoan

Zodiac: Leo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 0:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow this is a can of worms  Laughing
Most not all are missing one point, he doesnt want a winch to climb walls or to get out of being bogged to the axles on the moors, its just for that lil extra help if needed.
The type of help that 4 blokes pushing could give  Wink
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 0:04    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

Pete Chambers

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 0:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

markymoan wrote:
Most not all are missing one point, he doesnt want a winch to climb walls or to get out of being bogged to the axles on the moors, its just for that lil extra help if needed.

Thank you Smile Smile  Smile
gegs750k4

Zodiac: Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 0:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

markymoan wrote:

this is more fun though Very Happy
subzero

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 0:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never been stuck were 4men could push it out  Laughing

I got an easy answer put another Paj on a trailer never have to work about getting stuck them  Laughing
markymoan

Zodiac: Leo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 0:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

subzero wrote:
I've never been stuck were 4men could push it out  Laughing

They frown on digging holes with tyres on some campsites, sometimes its best to drive then winch the caravan to you  Wink
Also as said its usefull to pull back a few feet back to grip then have a think.
I dont have a winch and the only place I got proper stuck was on a council park and couldnt risk damage (I was towing a 3.5 tonne trailer at the time)  Wink
venn105
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

markymoan wrote:

Laughing  Laughing
A very interesting can of worms though as have learnt a lot from you all Wink I did not know what snatch blocks are Embarassed so had a look on you tube at a few tutorials and how they work etc,so learnt something there.I do have a locker so in that respect i am ok(has come in handy on several occasions)but do like the idea of a small portable winch as would come in handy for other uses(pulling the misses out of bed)...............might need a 12,000lb for that though Laughing as said it would pull the truck back enough to take other path required.Ideally  would get a front winch bumper(not ruled out yet)but have other priorities to spend £300 on bumper and same again on winch.In all honesty it would get used as i would be attempting more than what i would without one fitted(if that makes sense Confused  Laughing )but for now something a little cheaper would be ideal.Also be useful for pulling caravan on drive(not enough room to tow on and speed bump right on end of drive Twisted Evil )this was put there before we got van and can be a barsteward to push van on as usually its me pushing then pulling to get on.The van obviously takes a fair bit of positioning then run up to get over then weight runs away from you so then you have to try stopping it before it takes post out.This is just one use it would be handy for as Rachel could push button(remote) and i could guide van.This can be done for as Pete said around £80- £100 ish which is ideal.
I know some would not give a 3500lb winch the light of day and in real terms i would love a warn 16,000 lb winch(overkill) but its just more for a handy tool for a little help,not full recovery.A mate has 3 winches for extreme(front/rear and side),his front starts at £1500 then you modify it and will be closer to 4k when done(as speed is important on trials for recovery)so are all others carp Question  No its for a purpose,and mine just for a little help if/when required.I have a 7t strop and 2 green shackles if out with others.
Firkhamhall
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 13:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aren't we all missing the point here? Getting stuck on a lane while out on your own should be like, number 8 in a list of stupid things that could happen.

The reason you shouldn't go out on your own is simply the remoteness of it all. If you have no phone signal and;

1) You go for a pee and a bee stings your little man and you have septic shock.
2) While climbing a fence to go have a pee, you fall and break an arm / leg
3) On the way back from having a pee, you slip and cut two fingers off
4).......

Everyone who works out in the field on their own, always has a radio, a phone and a plan as well as someone who knows exactly where they are going, when they will be back and how often they should be contacted an hour / day. Anything else is plain stupid.

I used to do line-of-sight for Orange and, it simply didn't happen that you went on your own for any reason even with all the kit.
buzr6mille

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 13:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point about Off Roading on your own..
I always carry a HiLift jack, it can be used as a winch or even "lift and Slew" method, that's where you lift the rear out of the rut's and push the vehicle off the jack, but extreme care must be taken when doing this..
venn105
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 16:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firkhamhall wrote:
Aren't we all missing the point here? Getting stuck on a lane while out on your own should be like, number 8 in a list of stupid things that could happen.

The reason you shouldn't go out on your own is simply the remoteness of it all. If you have no phone signal and;

1) You go for a pee and a bee stings your little man and you have septic shock.
2) While climbing a fence to go have a pee, you fall and break an arm / leg
3) On the way back from having a pee, you slip and cut two fingers off
4).......

Everyone who works out in the field on their own, always has a radio, a phone and a plan as well as someone who knows exactly where they are going, when they will be back and how often they should be contacted an hour / day. Anything else is plain stupid.

I used to do line-of-sight for Orange and, it simply didn't happen that you went on your own for any reason even with all the kit.

Hi George,completely agree but it has been took a little out of context.1st of all i will re-search lanes(got 3 easy ones for Matlock)so would never put myself/family in any danger Wink also the link Mr Dale sent for a portable winch would be very useful for other things too(getting that dam van on drive Laughing )It is a just in case precaution i wanted as well as something useful to carry in boot.I can not justify a proper winch set up(or have time etc to fit it anyway).Its for emergency help that i never want to be in,but if for some reason i am(you never know)i have something to pull me back a couple of feet etc.Under no circumstances what so ever would i do anything risky on my tod FULL STOP Wink At some point i will do some moderate(tops as limited with truck)lanes but as said not alone Exclamation

Oh and i am clumsy so you could have carried on with No 4 as all them apply to me Laughing and do have a 1st aid kit with me(in truck all the time) and am a 1st aider too,soif i break both arms i am bu****d Laughing  Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Green Laning Tips and Techniques All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: