eBid - Buy and Sell online

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Easy fix for compass !! EASY EASY!!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Top tips
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pajero-russ

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 22:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got 2 of these babies and neither of them work, they must of been designed to just last the 3 years warrenty from brand new or something atleast I can afford to give the repair a go and if the first one fails then I know to get someone else more professional to repair the other for me...
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 22:05    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

pontyboy

Zodiac: Leo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 21:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will give this a try many thanks,  Very Happy
Mitsibob
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Virgo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 22:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wink Got 3 duff compasses here so may as well have a go at sorting them
penarthmark

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 18:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

sharpy1980 wrote:
My compass has been blank since buying my paj in July and after seeing this thread I decided to have a crack at fixing it... I took mine apart and it needed 10 changing between 2 of the boards, as I couldn't find a local supplier for the parts and as I work at a recycling centre I smashed open a couple of tellys and the circuit boards had everything I needed and it now works which is surprising considering the hash I made of the soldering Very Happy  Just got to get a bulb now.

If it helps I've listed the ones I needed which was most of them so peeps can try and source them before they start 6x 50v-1mf, 1x 10v-47mf, 1x 50v- 4.7mf 1x 10v-100mf, 1x 50v-10mf

cheers guys

just to let people know they are not mf as above eg. 50v ----1mf .. but are uf.

as i just found out when i went to maplins and asked for the list above so i had them ready the nice lady gave me a bag of thumb size ones. i new something was wrong so stripped it down and found out they are uf. she then gave me a bag of the correct size.

these are the things you are looking for

bit of a pain fitting them but i now have a fully working compuss thanks guys for the info...
macoy144

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigh...having a hard time opening it up...

Do I just have to pry thru these 2 clips at the bottom of the compass?? I'm afraid that I might break em..they seem to be solid down there.
pontyboy

Zodiac: Leo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

good photos
penarthmark

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 17:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

macoy144 wrote:
Sigh...having a hard time opening it up...

Do I just have to pry thru these 2 clips at the bottom of the compass?? I'm afraid that I might break em..they seem to be solid down there.

yes once you have it out of the holder with the other 2 items.

then just hold the clips open and slide the cover off as you do just watch the side plastics and how they go as they can be a bit tricky working out how they go back together.
shadowbroker

Zodiac: Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 20:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

sharpy1980 wrote:
Just a quick update, yesterday I went to Mitzi armed with the part no. for a new bulb for the compass @ £3.00, it had to be ordered in but arrived today and was identical in everyway to the old one... it even didn't work like the old one Sad I was thinking there must be a prob with the circuit so I took it back apart and got the multimeter in there... all ok so I decided to solder in a blue led with a resistor and it works a treat, looks wicked and the led should last alot longer than a bulb. I only ask myself why I didn't think of it while I had it apart doing the capacitors and saved myself £3.

can you replace all 3 of the pod lights with leds? also what power of resistor did you use? i have a few different strength from 100ohm to 1k
maxim007

Zodiac: Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 14:07    Post subject: Re: Easy fix for compass !! EASY EASY!! Reply with quote

jumpinjimmy wrote:
First thing, I have a 1991 2.5 turbo with a compass that gives a band of horizontal LCD compass readings with a LCD pointer underneath. There is also the temperature readout.  

I read a post on this site about changing the capacitors on the compass.  This seemed logical to me and as my compass was showing absolutely no signs of life, I had nothing to lose.  

I opened up the compass (the capacitors are black upright cylinders and have their values marked on the sides, such as 10volts and 4.5 microfarads, you might need a magnifying glass for this).  

I only replaced 5 capacitors, wanting to do as little as possible to make this thing work and reduce the risk of messing it up as I'm not an electrician.  

I looked for the ones that appeared to have been leaking, ie. brown goo coming from them.  

When removing the capacitors, it helps to put pressure on the cap so that when you heat the solder, it is easy to pull out.  I heated the back side of the board and pulled a little on the cap with my fingers.  It's important to note that capacitors have a positive and negative side and need to be re-installed in exactly the same polarity. The negative side has a grey stripe and is marked with the negative symbol. Also note worthy is that you can use a cap with a higher voltage than what is marked on the original just in case the supplier doesn't have exactly the same value.  However, the microfarad value is important and must be exact but these things are plentiful and you shouldn't have any problems.  

I needed to replace capacitors on two of the circuit boards, contrary to the post I read which emphasized that only the middle circuit board needed caps changing.  

It took me about half an hour and I purchased the parts from ESR electric components in Tyne & Wear ( 0191 251 4363) costing only £1.59.  The circuit boards are pretty sturdy and even with my lousy soldering, it started up right away.....I drove around in circles twice to reset the readings and voila!!  

Feel free to contact me if you have questions about repairing yours.  It's easy!  

PS.  I love this site....It is so useful.  Very Happy

HELLO JIMMY,
I also have buyed a 1992 Paj 2.5 LWB 2 weeks ago...and I found that my CoMPASS is dead! (only COMPAS)
Mine looks somethink like that one whish have in the left/bottom side of Compass the "Grade" Button and on the right/bottom side has the "S" button (for reseting it).
The difference of that one and mine is that this one is a working order...mine is just a screen with nothing on it...even the light doesen't light inside compass...
The first 2 clocks are working OK...with light on it...but compass is completley dead...
so first thing is that mine dash light form compas is dead too...
Now my questions is if i will put a NEW bulb inside the compass, will it show something?
Does it show something even with a faulty bulb? (only compas bulb).
Or I need to exchange all the capacitors from booth boards? (total of 13 capacitors? right?)
Thanks in advice for the replyes...
I really don't need the compass, but i NEED the OUTSIDE + INSIDE thermometer...Very Happy...and those info are inside the compass.
So please advice me what should I do?
Will it sort only with a new BULB or I still ened to exchange all of the capacitors + something else??? Rolling Eyes
Steve_PAJERO_DB7

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 0:12    Post subject: Source for Capacitors Reply with quote

Hi,
After reading these excellent posts I am about to start repairing my compass. - lets hope it goes as smoothly as everyone says it will!!!

Thought I would let you know where to get the capacitors

go to RS Components

and place the following orders codes for the capacitors

RS Stock No.

519-4239 - Electrolytic cap,PS,50V,1uF
                 Each (In a Pack of 5)      
414-9036 - Electrolytic cap,47uF 16V
                 Each (In a Pack of 25)      
315-0805 - Elec cap,10uF 50V
                 Each (In a Pack of 5)      
572-019  - Elec cap 100uF 10V
                 Each (In a Pack of 5)      
571-808  - Elec cap 4.7uF 50V
                 Each (In a Pack of 5)
Stutheitguy

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 13:19    Post subject: Re: Easy fix for compass !! EASY EASY!! Reply with quote

maxim007 wrote:
jumpinjimmy wrote:
First thing, I have a 1991 2.5 turbo with a compass that gives a band of horizontal LCD compass readings with a LCD pointer underneath. There is also the temperature readout.  

I read a post on this site about changing the capacitors on the compass.  This seemed logical to me and as my compass was showing absolutely no signs of life, I had nothing to lose.  

I opened up the compass (the capacitors are black upright cylinders and have their values marked on the sides, such as 10volts and 4.5 microfarads, you might need a magnifying glass for this).  

I only replaced 5 capacitors, wanting to do as little as possible to make this thing work and reduce the risk of messing it up as I'm not an electrician.  

I looked for the ones that appeared to have been leaking, ie. brown goo coming from them.  

When removing the capacitors, it helps to put pressure on the cap so that when you heat the solder, it is easy to pull out.  I heated the back side of the board and pulled a little on the cap with my fingers.  It's important to note that capacitors have a positive and negative side and need to be re-installed in exactly the same polarity. The negative side has a grey stripe and is marked with the negative symbol. Also note worthy is that you can use a cap with a higher voltage than what is marked on the original just in case the supplier doesn't have exactly the same value.  However, the microfarad value is important and must be exact but these things are plentiful and you shouldn't have any problems.  

I needed to replace capacitors on two of the circuit boards, contrary to the post I read which emphasized that only the middle circuit board needed caps changing.  

It took me about half an hour and I purchased the parts from ESR electric components in Tyne & Wear ( 0191 251 4363) costing only £1.59.  The circuit boards are pretty sturdy and even with my lousy soldering, it started up right away.....I drove around in circles twice to reset the readings and voila!!  

Feel free to contact me if you have questions about repairing yours.  It's easy!  

PS.  I love this site....It is so useful.  Very Happy

HELLO JIMMY,
I also have buyed a 1992 Paj 2.5 LWB 2 weeks ago...and I found that my CoMPASS is dead! (only COMPAS)
Mine looks somethink like that one whish have in the left/bottom side of Compass the "Grade" Button and on the right/bottom side has the "S" button (for reseting it).
The difference of that one and mine is that this one is a working order...mine is just a screen with nothing on it...even the light doesen't light inside compass...
The first 2 clocks are working OK...with light on it...but compass is completley dead...
so first thing is that mine dash light form compas is dead too...
Now my questions is if i will put a NEW bulb inside the compass, will it show something?
Does it show something even with a faulty bulb? (only compas bulb).
Or I need to exchange all the capacitors from booth boards? (total of 13 capacitors? right?)
Thanks in advice for the replyes...
I really don't need the compass, but i NEED the OUTSIDE + INSIDE thermometer...Very Happy...and those info are inside the compass.
So please advice me what should I do?
Will it sort only with a new BULB or I still ened to exchange all of the capacitors + something else??? Rolling Eyes

I see what you mean and I'd have to say no.

The bulb in the pod illuminates the altimeter and clinometer but the compass is backlit itself and the bulb in the pod is not related to this.
coulchie1234

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 19:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys i am trying to fit a set of clocks to my 97 pajero 2.8 swb as there are none fitted,iv bought a set (very cheap) and have been told they work,my main problem is i just do not have a clue as to what to do with all the wires,anyone got any idea as to where to put my +'s  and -'s  , im just afraid of totally blowing the thing ?
lukea890

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

The compass in my '92 2.5 LWB was intermittent, now dead. Can't decide whether to see if this repair works or just replace the compass with a volt meter i got for my last Paj ('90 2.5 SWB) but didn't get round to fitting. Can't be mant things worse than driving along the A30 at night as your lights get dimmer and dimmer.....
Roadrunner2110

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 0:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a great fix and write up jumpinjimmy. I'll get the wife onto it first thing tomorrow ...................................... stop her from watching bl@@dy Coronation Street  Wink  Wink  Laughing
Jutwit

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 20:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to have a crack at this, and if no joy an aftermarket temp gauge in there instead.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Top tips All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: