2Gether Insurance 01945 585322

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

mud driving advice?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Green Laning Tips and Techniques
View previous topic :: View next topic  
banditbiker

Zodiac: Libra

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:36    Post subject: mud driving advice? Reply with quote

Was doin a bit of off roading today, I'm moving loads of tree branches from the back garden to a skip out the front and will be at it tomorrow too. Thing is back garden is about 2m lower than front and I've stripped all the top soil off the back garden so very muddy in this weather. I struggled to get the paj and trailer up th short incline in the mud, I managed it by putting her in 4wd with centre diff lock on (second position up on the selector stick) and by getting a bit of a run at it and keeping the pedal to the floor and a good bit of wheel spin. ( She's an automatic aswell,) Person watching said the front 2 wheels were spinning and back were not (was a bit sandy where front wheel were at one stage) Does this mean the centre diff was not locked properly or not working???  Any advice of a better way to get up there, like slowly and steady in the low ratio with centr diff locked??
Any advice appreciated!!! Dont fancy gettin dtuck tomorrow as need the paj for work on Mon!!!
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:36    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

noiseboy72

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the front wheel(s) were spinning and the rear were not, then yes the centre diff was open. It is likely 1 rear wheel was spinning as well but was out of sight of the observer.

Technique: Slow and steady will stop you getting stuck as you won't bog down, but you may need the momentum of a run up.

I would use high box and try to get the car moving at a good rate before you get to the incline, but don't spin the wheels if you can help it. If the wheels start to spin, back off the throttle and see if you can regain traction. I know it sounds odd, but when you think about it, effectively, you are skidding when the wheels are spinning. Slowing them down increases the chance that they will bite into the ground and regain traction.

If you grind to a halt, stop straight away. This will stop you bogging down. If you have dug a rut, trying rocking the car fowrad and backward until it climbs out.

Old carpet in 6'-10' lengths can work well under the wheels, or some of the wood you are carting might work as well.
adam1181

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

drive it like you stole it and you'll be o.k

not really, thats sound advice from noiseboy
elv

Zodiac: Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 16:48    Post subject: Re: mud driving advice? Reply with quote

banditbiker wrote:
Was doin a bit of off roading today, I'm moving loads of tree branches from the back garden to a skip out the front and will be at it tomorrow too. Thing is back garden is about 2m lower than front and I've stripped all the top soil off the back garden so very muddy in this weather. I struggled to get the paj and trailer up th short incline in the mud, I managed it by putting her in 4wd with centre diff lock on (second position up on the selector stick) and by getting a bit of a run at it and keeping the pedal to the floor and a good bit of wheel spin. ( She's an automatic aswell,) Person watching said the front 2 wheels were spinning and back were not (was a bit sandy where front wheel were at one stage) Does this mean the centre diff was not locked properly or not working???  Any advice of a better way to get up there, like slowly and steady in the low ratio with centr diff locked??
Any advice appreciated!!! Dont fancy gettin dtuck tomorrow as need the paj for work on Mon!!!

Are Pajero's not rear wheel drive when in 2wd? surely this would mean that the rear wheels should turn at all times regardless of it being in 4WD or having the centre diff locked?  Confused
arumdevil

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 19:28    Post subject: Re: mud driving advice? Reply with quote

[/quote]

elv wrote:

Are Pajero's not rear wheel drive when in 2wd?

yes

elv wrote:

surely this would mean that the rear wheels should turn at all times regardless of it being in 4WD or having the centre diff locked?  Confused

no
ajonty

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 21:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need a Shogun with center difflock AND a rear difflock  no problem Laughing  Laughing
JONTY
Broreart

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 15:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

After you have finished mixing the mud, you should now apply it to the garden bed. To do this, simply scoop up some mud and sprinkle it onto the garden bed. Be careful not to let the mud run off the edges of the bed. Also, try to avoid getting the mud on your clothes. Rooster Horoscope 2023
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Green Laning Tips and Techniques All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: