Automotive handbooks / manuals

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Who Gives Way To Who?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Green Laning Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leebeelee123
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 19:26    Post subject: Who Gives Way To Who? Reply with quote

Out laning in Shropshire yesterday and when going up a hill I came across 2 4x4s coming downhill towards me.
We were on a single track lane with no passing places whatsoever, so we all stopped and I reversed rather tentatively down the hill.
My question is, should I have given way to them or should they have reversed up hill which would have been much easier?
I didn't mind reversing though, I just wondered what etiquette should be shown...
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 19:26    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

wiggletiger
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 19:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

was he bigger than you     plus what were you doing out on your own Shocked

#

i would have thought if it was just you then they should have watch you safely backwards     its easier to park 1 motor out of the way to let 2 pass     if that makes sense
mark dale
Site Admin
Site Admin

Zodiac: Cancer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 20:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had this a few times whilst out, and generally it should to be whoever has the easiest job to  let the others by ....  

but, we had quite a few cross words with a certain commercial operation in the Lakes a few years back, who wouldn't yield at all, until we practically told him he had to, because we were in a potentially precarious situation.   It turns out that he was guiding some paying people, and had claimed that they had sole use of the route ( Walna Scar, when it was open) - None of them were pleased when we informed them it was a route open to the public - for free!

so, let sense prevail generally, unless they are being ass's, then stand your ground !!

but, normally, I'd say yield to the vehicle coming up the hill

mark " will share lanes" dale
leebeelee123
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 20:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

I regularly do those lanes on my own and my Deli is considerably bigger that his Disco was.
They offered no help whatsoever, and to be honest they had trouble driving down the hill... Smile
rich r

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 20:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Highway Code says that vehicles going up hill have right of way. Though obviously the Highway Code is aimed at tarmac roads, and is only a guide. If I could find my copy, I'd see whether that statement is based on anything in the Road Traffic Act - which would be definitive.

However - on non-standard roads, common sense has to take precedence. So an HGV wouldn't ordinarily need to give way to a Corsa coming up a hill with a corner, as it'd be far more  difficult for the HGV to reverse up a hill and round a corner.

I'll see if I can find anything the the RTA though...
cal646
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Libra

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

are these byways? as where i go the post that shows the start of the lanes have a red arrow denoting the direction to go down the lane i have not met anyone one coming the other way apart from a motox rider which was ok and in a spacious area but some of the lanes are tight and awkward i would certainly not be reversing  if i met some one coming the other way without pointing that fact out!! do you not have marker posts?? with the rights of way rules etc??
rich r

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it Smile

Road Traffic Regulation Act 1981, chapter VIII, paragraph 61, part 2:

Code:
On mountain roads and steep roads, where passing of oncoming traffic is impossible or difficult, the driver travelling downhill shall pull to the side of the road in order to give way to motor vehicles proceeding uphill except where the arrangement of laybys is such that the vehicle proceeding uphill has a lay-by ahead of it and the need for one of the vehicles to reverse can be avoided if the vehicle proceeding uphill pulls into that lay-by.

So there you have it - the legal situation is very clear. Vehicles travelling downhill must give way to vehicles going uphill (unless there's a place for the uphill one to pull in ahead of it). It's worded such that no vehicle going uphill should ever have to reverse down the hill.
venn105
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 13:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had it yesterday although no real issue,some bikes coming down and no room,tried backing up but started to slide so they had to turn back,plus we are bigger than them but all happy and no issue  Laughing 4 mins in

Link
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Green Laning Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: