Help the Club - Click to Buy!

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

P R N 2 L

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission & 2WD / 4WD Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cc101

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 19:30    Post subject: P R N 2 L Reply with quote

Hi all, I was just wondering when you would actually use 2 and what would you use L for on the auto gearbox selector.

Cheers.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 19:30    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

eddyx11
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 19:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Descending a steep hill. Like using engine braking. Smile
Walt

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 19:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

eddyx11 wrote:
Descending a steep hill. Like using engine braking. Smile

thumbup  thumbup

also use L when you use 4LLC going through rocky and rough surfaces  Smile
cc101

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 19:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers, I spoke to someone the other day and they said only use L if you want to do a burnout  Shocked
rich r

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 20:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Descending hills is the main use of the lower gears- you want the engine to be doing the braking, as if you're having to rely on the brakes, you risk locking one or more wheels - and a wheel that's not turning is no use to you in terms of controlling which way you're going and at what speed.

If you're not used to automatic gearboxes, it works like this:

D with OD on  - will use 1st, 2nd, 3rd or overdrive as required. (think of overdrive as 4th gear)
D with OD off - will use 1st, 2nd or 3rd. Use when on road doing 50mph+ and needing more revs to go up or down a steep hill.
2 - will use 1st or 2nd gear. Use on or off road to descend or ascend steep hills that aren't too rough (so you can go about 15mph or so)
L - will only use 1st gear. Use generally off road to descend or ascend steep with as much control as possible. Eg when there are big rocks, ruts, etc.

And on the transfer box:

2H - use on road or off road on surfaces with plenty of grip.
4H - use on road or off road on surfaces with less grip, but not much chance of wheelspin.
4Hlc - use off road only, on surfaces where you may lose traction easily (slippery, or uneven so you might have a wheel in the air)
4Llc - use off road only, on surfaces where you may lose traction easily and need to go slowly and with as much control as possible - eg going up or down steep hills which you need to pick your route carefully. It'll roll along nicely at walking pace down a hill in this setting, leaving you to concentrate on steering the best route.
cc101

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 20:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, that's m Smile ade it very easy to understand.
mark dale
Site Admin
Site Admin

Zodiac: Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 0:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great reply Rich ...  because of this I've stickied this post so it can easily be referred back to

cheers

Mark " use the gears not the brakes " Dale
rich r

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mark.
Marse

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 21:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are sure is not 4th gear? It is AT JM600? On service manual is presented like 4th gear, not 3. Or maybe I'm wrong? Thanks!
View user's profile Send personal message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Richy85

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

can you switch from D to 2 whilst in motion or do you have to stop?
rich r

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, you don't need to stop. All the selector does is prevent it from selecting a gear higher than 2nd (eg 3rd or OD). So as long as you're going slow enough to engage 2nd (about 40mph), you can just select it. You do need to press the button on the selector though to go into 2nd, which is a safety feature to stop you doing it at 70mph by accident.

So say you're starting to come down a big hill. You take your foot off the accelerator, but still find that you're gaining speed and having to use the brakes a lot. First thing is to turn OD off (press the little switch on the selector). That will stop it from changing up from 3rd, the revs will increase and you'll get more engine braking. But you find you're still going too fast - so now press the big button on the selector and drop it into 2nd. You'll see the revs go up again, and you'll get more engine braking. If the hill's really steep, you might need to drop to 1st.

Standard technique for descending steep hills off road is to stop and engage 4Llc at the top (so you're in low ratio and the centre diff is locked, helping spread the load and increase engine braking) then put the gearbox in 1st and take you feet off the pedals. It'll roll down the hill very slowly and you can pay attention to steering to ensure you're taking the best route to avoid loose patches of gravel or big rocks. Brake only if you have to - stopping the wheels is inviting the vehicle to slide, and if it's sliding you've got very little control over where it's going! Then when you get to the bottom, stop and switch back to 4H and D.
Richy85

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Smile

Yeah I'm not really used to autos that much and the lack of engine breaking is pretty annoying.
Just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to make the box explode or anything  Laughing
cal646
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Libra

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 13:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

when i was first playing out in mine using 4hlc 4llc all super til i was going home back into 4wd then 2wd but being a noooooob to the paj and putting me fags in the dash where super select lights are Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes  i didnt see that the front wheels were still engaged lights flashing drove it home slowly on motorway as thought box had broke or more likely i had broken it Embarassed  Embarassed made it home strong smell of oil i feared the worst but when parking reversing it unlocked 4wd and lights went out and into 2wd  tho i poo a brick as i thought ive broken it already then i joined pocuk a learnt that you might need to reverse a bit an forward a bit to disengage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission & 2WD / 4WD Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: