eBid - Buy and Sell online

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Caravan tyre pressure/Caravan instability

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Caravanning discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
legalexec

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 13:51    Post subject: Caravan tyre pressure/Caravan instability Reply with quote

I have an Ace jubilee statesman, with 175r14c tyres which I have replaced prior to my holiday we spent the month of September in the south of France. I tow with Shogun 3.2 did Elegance,  I noticed straight away that the caravan felt very uneasy on the back of the car, and I was feeling every blast of air as traffic overtook, especially high sided vehs, we pulled over and adjusted the load in the caravan which made things a little better. When I had the new tyres put on the recommended pressure was 65psi which was what I put in, prior to this I always towed with 55psi has anybody experienced this before and can anyone offer advice, I have been caravanning for over 30 years so I am not a novice. Any suggestions gratefully received.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 13:51    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

venn105
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 13:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never had that much pressure in mine,usually 35 - 40psi and no issue as its only a single axle and light van.Does it have a stabilizer or alko hitch,maybe worth checking them out too Smile
legalexec

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 13:58    Post subject: Caravan tyre pressure/Caravan instability Reply with quote

It does have an Alko hitch and stabilizer and were serviced earlier this year, so I know they are alright.
ade

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 15:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you replace with 8ply van tyres or cheaper car tyres? (hopefully not budget car tyres)
the 8ply van tyre has a stronger/stiffer sidewall and does make a stability difference on a big twin axle van. (did on my 26ft Superstorm)
also if your van tyre`s a bit over infalted then it will `bounce`more.
legalexec

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 17:10    Post subject: Caravan tyre pressure/Caravan instability Reply with quote

They are Hankook 175r14c proper caravan approved tyres.
anyoldiron

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 17:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you have wheels balanced after fitting tyres? Tyre company's don't usually balance caravan wheels unles you ask them to, then they don't like it.
legalexec

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 18:32    Post subject: Caravan tyre pressure/Caravan instability Reply with quote

No the wheels were not balanced, will consider that as a possible cause.
MARKS600K1
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 13:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

We have similar size tyres on our Bailey and the plate by the door says 55 PSI it has a max load of around 1300Kg.  I found fitting some alco shock's helped a lot with ours but your van may have them as standard.

Regards Mark
legalexec

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 15:33    Post subject: Caravan tyre pressure/Caravan instability Reply with quote

Thanks Mark,

My plate just has the two weights, I got the 65psi of the actual tyres, I guess the only choice is to go back to 55psi and see what difference there is, unless somebody else has any ideas.
ROY H
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 18:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go back to 55psi. 65psi is way too high
Make sure wheel nuts are tight  Laughing  
Worn pads in the alko hitch will cause the van to swing
gegs750k4

Zodiac: Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 20:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 65psi is max load per tyre e.g. 65psi at 1340kg.
It is not a recommended inflation pressure.
If your van was 1340kg on a single axle (2 tyres) the pressure per tyre would be 32.5 psi, from what i remember you treat each axle independantly so twin axle each tyre would be 32.5psi.
If you run at 65psi you will end up just getting a bald patch in the centre and serious overheating on the tyre, as an added bonus when the tyre pops they will hear the noise 5 miles away Wink

Been a long time since i did any of this but it's worth reading up about.
gegs750k4

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 20:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Point 3  Wink
http://www.michelin.co.uk/tyres/learn-share/care-guide/ten-tyre-care-tips

The one i use on trailers Wink
http://www.caravanrepair.com/tyrepressures.shtml
legalexec

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:20    Post subject: Caravan tyre pressure/Caravan instability Reply with quote

Thanks Gegs your posting makes good sense, the charts are especially helpful, I will adjust the tyre pressures down to the charts recommendation next time I go out, which now will probably next year. I wonder why the tyre manufacturers allow so much confusion when it comes to caravans, there's enough of them on the road.
gegs750k4

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 17:46    Post subject: Re: Caravan tyre pressure/Caravan instability Reply with quote

legalexec wrote:
Thanks Gegs your posting makes good sense, the charts are especially helpful, I will adjust the tyre pressures down to the charts recommendation next time I go out, which now will probably next year. I wonder why the tyre manufacturers allow so much confusion when it comes to caravans, there's enough of them on the road.

No fun if it's too easy Wink  Laughing  Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Caravanning discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: