Help the Club - Click to Buy!

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Alternator exciter wire

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Electrical issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chris_944

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 23:57    Post subject: Alternator exciter wire Reply with quote

Alternator stopped working on the way home from the MOT last week.... Typical. After changing the alternator and it still not working I traced the issue to the exciter wire. It's not giving 12 volts. As soon as I bypass the wire and run 12 volts to the alternator from the batt it works. I traced the white exciter wire to behind the dash tonight but it only ever seems to get around 3 volts...

Can't understand how its suppose to work? Only thing I can think is that the binnacle is fubarred

It's a mk1 2.5 td btw
Cheers Chris
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 23:57    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

trekker

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 13:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris

From my wiring diagram; the thin white wire on the plugin connector at the alternator is fed from the Glow Control Unit, also feeding the dash charge indicator light. As the GCU isn't powered when the engine isn't running, you may not have power to this wire at the alternator.

On the same plugin connector at the alternator is a second thin wire which is fed from number 7 fuse in the dash fuse box, it's a 10 amp fuse. So remove and test this fuse, and all the fuses if need be.

Let's know how you manage.
Chris_944

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 15:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Trekker, I will check all of the fuses again tonight although I'm thinking maybe it's a loose wire or bad connection maybe. If you rev the car hard then the light will flicker.

Everything I have read though says the white exciter wire needs a constant 12v feed to tell the alternator to work. Interesting about the Glow control unit though. Any idea where that sits?

Cheers
Chris
trekker

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 17:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

The GCU sits on the passenger side, right below the glove box. It's a rectangular metal box, very roughly 150 x 170 x 20 mm thick, with a plug in 8 ? way connector. Packed with electronics, but often the prob is popped capacitors, not expensive to repair.

The alternator drives the rev counter on the Gen 1. Is the rev counter reading about right ?

I think you're back feeding the white wire, hence the 12 volt. I think the constant 12 volts you refer to is only when the engine is running.

If you can't trace the fault, I suggest a quick trip to an auto elect shop, they'll identify the prob in a flash. And don't rule out a faulty new generator.

Keep in touch.
dave
Chris_944

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 20:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Dave, been hammering down here for the last few days. Hopefully it'll have a rest over the weekend so I can get out there and take another look Smile
bertiebrassett

Zodiac: Leo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 16:27    Post subject: Alternator, help, and where is the alternator relay?? Reply with quote

Hi all, thanks in advance,

I replaced my alternator on the 9th October 2013, admittedly recon, but looks like a new one so professionally done?? last weekend Saturday morning batteries flat, when checked new alternator had packed up, they replaced it under warranty no problem, fitted it on Tuesday 5th. checked voltage charge 15. something volts, as batteries were low so thought ok (is it) but thought it should be around 14V.

This morning on the way to work, noticed while driving the ignition lights were dimly lit, when I arrived at work turned off and turned back on no ignition lights, checked alternator down again.

When the first replacement was put on everything was checked apart from relay, as we could not find it (any body know where it is or which one it is) so I know all is well with wiring, fuses etc.

I don't want to fit a third if there could be a fault other than a faulty alternator recon!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Electrical issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: