2Gether Insurance 01945 585322

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

edc pumps?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Bio-diesel / SVO / alternative fuels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kalmac
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 0:47    Post subject: edc pumps? Reply with quote

does any one know if a shogy / paj with a  edc pump will run on wvo?

looking at getting another so might as well try for a 2.8

(if i can find a cheap 1)
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 0:47    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

Rob546454

Zodiac: Libra

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know, however I do know that the Shoguns always stuck with the mechanical pumps. Where as the Pajero's only had the on the earlier ones.
rich r

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the research I did a month or two back, it would seem the EDC pump seems to be upset by the fuel being too viscous, but is perfectly happy with SVO/WVO and diesel mix as long as it's suitably heated to ensure it's thin and runny. Hence it's probably much better to run a twin tank setup on an EDC pump 2.8, in order to get the engine up to temperature so a FPHE can thin the veg oil sufficiently.

The problems appear most obviously at idle if the pump is struggling with fuel that's too thick, so at least it should be fairly easy to just chuck in a load of diesel if it seem unhappy.

There certainly seemed to be plenty of people not scared off by the uncertainty running SVO (or at the least a 50/50 diesel/SVO mix) on EDC pump 2.8s, but information is very hard to come by as I think a lot of people just regard it as a 'don't do it' thing rather than trying it. I think 100% SVO/WVO will almost certainly require twin tank and FPHE, but I couldn't find much in the way of reports of people running that.
donpulsar

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 16:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all I second everything Rich has just said ; its all down to the viscosity of the oil but there's not a lot of info on the EDC equipped models ; but hopefully that'll change!

I've got an EDC pump equipped 2.8 SWB and it quite happily starts, drives and runs on a 70% diesel / 30 % svo mix with no mods  Cool The only thing I need to do is raise the idle as it can be a little lumpy on tickover.

I've just got all the equipment together to rig up a twin tank system (FPHE, 2 x 3way valves etc, metres of hose etc!) - hoping to do that in the next couple of weeks (weather dependent!) and then I'll be upping my mix to 50/50 and then beyond. Will report back with pics and more info.

But for the moment, you should be good to run upto 70/30 fine ; best test is run your tank as empty as you can then mix a 7 litres of diesel with 3 litres of svo and pour in. Start it up and go out for a couple of miles drive to get it through the engine, filter etc ; if it works then awesome - if it struggled like crazy then add some more diesel and save up for the bits for a twin tank setup  Smile
GCMS2012

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 19:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you run Shogun DiD engines on a SVO / diesel mix?
bobblake

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 22:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="donpulsar"]First of all I second everything Rich has just said ; its all down to the viscosity of the oil but there's not a lot of info on the EDC equipped models ; but hopefully that'll change!

I've got an EDC pump equipped 2.8 SWB and it quite happily starts, drives and runs on a 70% diesel / 30 % svo mix with no mods  Cool The only thing I need to do is raise the idle as it can be a little lumpy on tickover.
quote]

Advancing the pump 4 degree's can cure this it also helps when using blends up to 100 % oil.

I am also looking for a new to me pajero.
2.8 automatic long or short body for the wife.
Still keeping the old one for my work horse.
Would swap my rover 75 auto estate or cash,
bob
rich r

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

GCMS2012 wrote:
Can you run Shogun DiD engines on a SVO / diesel mix?

Not to be recommended - the direct injection system runs at a significantly higher pressure and it very sensitive to the viscosity and chemical composition of the fuel.
GCMS2012

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 20:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ta rich...

Thought I'd ask just in case a DiD is worth a look at etc...
muffin1232

Zodiac: Virgo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 22:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

What pajeros have the EDC pumps?

do any mk2 shoguns have EDC pumps???
Rob546454

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think the switch-over for Pajero's was 96 but someone best confirm. The MK2 Shoguns are all mechanical.
rich r

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pajero 2.8s from round about mid-1996 and the 2.5 in the L200 and Sport from around 1999 onwards have the electronically controlled pumps. When they're working properly they are a good thing, getting a noticeable amount more power and slightly better economy. But if they fail, they're a lot more expensive to repair than the old fashioned all mechanical ones.
donpulsar

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 16:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Advancing the pump 4 degree's can cure this it also helps when using blends up to 100 % oil. "

Thanks for the info - does anyone know how easy this is to do on an EDC pump and whats involved?

Cheers!
Jowter
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 22:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would expect the body of the pump to be similar anf fit the same as a mechanical pump. There are bracket bolts underneath at teh rear to secure it to the blcok and a nut either side at the front to lock it to the front casing. The pump body front holes are slotted to allow it to be twisted in the front casing so advancing / retarding the point (in relation to the crank/cam timing) that it squirts. Twisting it in the opposite direction to what the injection pump sprocket turns will advance the pump timing.
I bought a LazerTools diesel injection pump timing tool off ebay for £70. Takes a bit of sussing out to understand the destructioins though.
Fit securely in rear hole  Shocked
Set dial, turn crank 30 degrees so needle stops moving, re-set dial, turn crank till dial reaches specification figure, check where the crank tdc pointer is at to get atdc pump timing figure in degrees.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Bio-diesel / SVO / alternative fuels All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: