QuoteSeek comparison service

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

That Wheel Bearing Didn't Last Long!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> 4M41 / 3.2 (DiD) models
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GCMS2012

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 20:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

N/S/F?

Roundabouts?

Or, 'Right Turn Clyde!'  Laughing
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 20:45    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

GCMS2012

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 20:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE BEARING'S START TO GO AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Evil or Very Mad  Evil or Very Mad  Evil or Very Mad

Well pi$$ed off now...

But I'm asking WHY this time? I've read it could be the whole carrier that's damaged or twisted?

Yet again, help please.  Crying or Very sad
geodrome

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 20:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

GCMS2012 wrote:
THE BEARING'S START TO GO AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Evil or Very Mad  Evil or Very Mad  Evil or Very Mad

Well pi$$ed off now...

But I'm asking WHY this time? I've read it could be the whole carrier that's damaged or twisted?

I know the feeling!  Crying or Very sad
What tyres are you running?
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 20:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geodrome wrote:

Quote:
Ball0cks shogun ball joints are bolted on with castle nut and split pin on the taper

I always thought that until I bought a pair from Euro car parts.

Left one had castle nut and split pin - right one had a nyloc nut with no hole in the threads for a split pin - I took it back and asked for one with a split pin.
Dmcmylor

Zodiac: Gemini

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 21:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got uppers and lowers from First Line, all castle nut and split pins  Very Happy
GCMS2012

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 21:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

geodrome wrote:
GCMS2012 wrote:

Well pi$$ed off now...

I know the feeling!  Crying or Very sad
What tyres are you running?

Bridgestone Dualer H/T's.  Can they make a difference?

As I've got a horrible feeling, the hub carrier is damaged in some way that you can't quite see.....?
geodrome

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 21:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running General Grabber AT new style and boy are they noisy. HT tyres should be much kinder as not as chunky, and made for road use. I'm just fed up spending on my vehicle, I'm sure I'll soon have spent nearly the purchase price on parts just keeping it running, over the past three years.
I know it's an old car but has really put me off buying another Mitsubishi, my long term plan was a new L200/Triton when we eventually emigrate. I even joined the forum for them in Australia, that's put me off even more, with faults like the suspension failing after a year, seats that give you a bad back, EGR faults and blocked manifolds, CV joints going and airbag electrical faults needing looms replaced. Thought about a Pajero but will I have the same basic issues in ten years time that I have now? And it would then be a twenty four year old design,
I'm now thinking VW Amarok, as it is the only one that comes with full time 4x4 in an auto. Thankfully that has a lot less issues but cost more to purchase.
GCMS2012

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 9:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another one emigrating? Lucky you, I wanted to do it nearly 20 years ago now. Just too late for me now...

Anyway, back on track...

I found these people to get a whole knuckle assembly this time....

http://www.japanese4x4parts.co.uk/mitsubishi-shogun-32did-4m41-v68v78---front-steering-knuckle--carrier-with-hub-bearing--abs-sensor-rh-1-10188-p.asp

Anyone used these people, or do you know of another place to get that part?

As after 'sleeping on it', all I can think of is the garage has knocked / twisted the knuckle assembly when they fitted their bearing the first time...?
tom fenton
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Leo

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 9:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

GCMS2012 wrote:

After getting the whole knuckle off the car, when it was on the bench and undoing the 4 bolts holding the bearing in.....

The bearing basically fell out, no hammering - pressing, even swearing!  Shocked

This is your problem. Even though the bearing flange bolts on, the bearing outer diameter should be a light interference fit into the hub carrier/upright.
As yours just fell out the bearing is not supported properly and this is why you had a problem.
I changed one of my fronts recently and the bearing was a good fit into the carrier.
geodrome

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 10:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

tom fenton wrote:
GCMS2012 wrote:

After getting the whole knuckle off the car, when it was on the bench and undoing the 4 bolts holding the bearing in.....

The bearing basically fell out, no hammering - pressing, even swearing!  Shocked

This is your problem. Even though the bearing flange bolts on, the bearing outer diameter should be a light interference fit into the hub carrier/upright.
As yours just fell out the bearing is not supported properly and this is why you had a problem.
I changed one of my fronts recently and the bearing was a good fit into the carrier.

I've found some go in easier than others and some then come out easier, I always put some anti seize on the faces but this sometimes does not stop corrosion.
When I've taken a damaged unit apart it is always the face of the outer hardened guide that has a mark where the bearing has picked up!
This was the worst I have seen.
GCMS2012

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 16:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

So by the sounds of it Tom, whoever fitted the first bearing before I bought the truck, has damaged the carrier.

And I thought it was brilliant that when I removed that bearing back then (it 'fell out') and the new one went in so easily.

Whole new carrier and bearing this time I guess...  Sad  

This was that first bearing I removed before I put in my bearing....

GCMS2012

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 19:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

New carrier and bearing has arrived.

And you's were right (Tom)...

This bearing is going to have to be pressed into the carrier....  (NOT by me though - garage job).
GCMS2012

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 21:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Er, Press in...?

Maybe not.

Just had a 'proper' look at it tonight and it just slots into the carrier without any force...?

What do you recon, still go ahead and fit the whole thing...?  Crying or Very sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> 4M41 / 3.2 (DiD) models All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: