eBid - Buy and Sell online

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Electronics !

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Garages / Mechanics / Servicing Agents
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Bunney man

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 23:29    Post subject: Electronics ! Reply with quote

Is there anyone on here that deal with the ubiquitous Dry solder joint on rev counters, well beyond most of our ability levels I would say, would really love a working rev counter !
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 23:29    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

Dmcmylor

Zodiac: Gemini

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 0:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of us just learn to live it not working But I know what you mean, i'd like mine working , it's on the to do list, only right near the bottom  Laughing
REVOGEL
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 13:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soldering is not difficult You just need a reasonably good Iron, a reel of thin fluxed core solder. Practice on some bits of copper wire. Clean till bright apply solder to each piece [tin] hold together NOT with hands apply solder till it  flows do not move joint till it sets. When doing printed cct boards. a HOT iron for a short time is the way, else you may lift the copper.
Hope some of you take the time to learn.
vmaxsnoopy
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 21:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a supplier I use in Sheffield that repairs commercial vehicle dash displays, ECU.s and the like. Last time I was in there I enquired about repairing and testing electronic rev counters. They reckon that it will not be a problem as they have the equipment both to test, calibrate, and rebuild to OE spec with a 12 month warranty. I am going to drop in my spare non-working rev counter next week, for them to look at. Ball park repair cost estimate around £40.00. Will post the result if successful along with contact details, and hopefully negotiate a bit of club discount too.
The Bunney man

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 22:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds promising mate, will watch with interest !
The Bunney man

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 22:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

REVOGEL wrote:
Soldering is not difficult You just need a reasonably good Iron, a reel of thin fluxed core solder. Practice on some bits of copper wire. Clean till bright apply solder to each piece [tin] hold together NOT with hands apply solder till it  flows do not move joint till it sets. When doing printed cct boards. a HOT iron for a short time is the way, else you may lift the copper.
Hope some of you take the time to learn.

It`s not so much the soldering as knowing where to solder, think you need a sucker too to remove the old dry solder, way beyond my abilities Smile
jimmyw
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 0:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

On mine I think the problem was there is some coiled enamel wire,the width of a hair,it crosses over,and rubs off itself,and after about 15 years of it the enamel coating wears off,bend them gently out of the way and it should do the trick.

I reflowed all the joints in mine too,you don't need a solder sucker to do it,but if you have one,you may as well do the whole lot again yourself get some of the older solder with the lead in it,it is far easier to work with,especially to learn on. To do it the easy way,just apply heat with the iron to all the joints one at a time,until it melts,let it flow into a cone shape and take the iron away and let it set. I'd guess you'd get away with maybe a 15 or 18 watt iron for it,especially with leaded solder,so it would be a cheap enough thing to buy if you were going to buy the gear. For learning it is the easiest to start with a tip that is cross cut rather than pointed,the cross cut one looks like a baguette cut diagonally,with a flat bit on the end.
REVOGEL
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

agree with jimmyw 100%. Practice is the thing, why not raid the skips find some old toys with printed circuits in , and practice on them. If the solder is bright that is right, Smile  dull is a null  Crying or Very sad http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=imiges+of+good+and+bad+soldered+joints&id=55F33C8447ED54C9E0CC2AF5
Take a gander at the above link to get a better idea of what we are on about.
You will be AMAZED at your capabilities. and the sense of achievement when you first get it right Rolling Eyes  Shocked  Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Garages / Mechanics / Servicing Agents All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: