Automotive handbooks / manuals

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

2w or 4w for towing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Towing & technical
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rac060804

Zodiac: Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 17:28    Post subject: 2w or 4w for towing Reply with quote

Hi Guys
     I have a Pajero with the super select drive and was wondering if there would be anything gained by towing in 4w drive instead of two on general motorway driving.

Cheers
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 17:28    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

venn105
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 17:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

,mk2 or mk3

mk2 either but if over a ton its not a bad idea to use 4h as spreads load over the transmission instead of on the rear diff.Also benefits handling wise too

mk3 it is advised in the manual to use 4h over 750kg iirc (could be 1ton)
Junc

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 20:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it helps,
I just towed our caravan around the Peak District, and we talking single track roads, steep up
( because I was lost and followed the sat nav lol )
And I used 4wd. ( 1991 pajero 2,5td exceed lWB )
Stable and nice to tow, motor brake slowed down hill easy.

No pushing, not wiggling, no wobble, just run niceley behind.
Before I forgett it's 1650kg plus load, and all the awning and stuff on the roof of the truck.
rac060804

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 13:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the replies........

Would being in 4w help when going up hills???  would it help with all 4 wheels have traction....

Guess Im trying to ask, would it pull with more power?
Junc

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 17:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion yes, it would have traction on all 4 wheels up or down hill, even in corners.
Engine brake would do a better job on 4 wd as on 2wd.

The whole mass of truck and van is spread on 4 legs instead 2 therefore it's better for the truck and whatever road surface you have.

More power ? Not really.
You only have the power of the engine ( bhp ) regardless what you use 2wd/4wd.
I found out of experience, you go single track roads around corners, whatever comes in you're way, you better in Controll,
Gravel, cows hit, people, tractors, you're truck react faster to you're handling.
And the trailer / caravan is more stable behind the truck as it can't push only the rear axle out the track.

Maybe others have different experience.
venn105
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 17:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some use theirs in 4h all the time,or at least most of it......if you had a disco or rangy Shocked  Shocked you would have no choice as permanent  4wd.

No power difference as it does not alter as said,just better traction/control especially in poor conditions or towing heavy loads.Spreading the load takes the strain off the rear diff/axle and transfers some to the front.

I have towed around 1500kg twin axle in 2h issue free,if it had been winter i would have used 4h ,my van is around 1t give/take so i tend to use 2h most of the time.

Bets way is try both,tow 2h there,4h back or visa/versa and see for your self,in general it is better to be in 4h for heavier loads.

MPG will slightly dip but nothing significant ,road noise a little louder due to fronts being driven.

More benefits to 4h than 2h,might as well use it when you can Wink also gives it a little exercise Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Towing & technical All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: