Automotive handbooks / manuals

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

V6 weird problem " ( haunted i think )

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Petrol model specific Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wingchun1956

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 21:49    Post subject: V6 weird problem " ( haunted i think ) Reply with quote

HI Iv got a V6 12 valve that is doing something strange now and again ,, an hour the other day  ,,  rapid clicking randomly from around the ECU , but iv had that out and its fine no burns on the board "  ticking over it keeps trying to cut out at the same time it clicks ??  whatever is causing it,, it switches of ignition and rapidly back on again ?? as the rev counter drops and comes back up , and the engine check light comes on , now its stopped doing it again today and its fine , but will soon return ," and check engine light is off ???  very odd,  now the other day when it was doing this i could also hear a slight ticking --like a spark in time with say one cylinder" and wondered if the leads are breaking down and a spark leak could cause  the engine managmeant to switch off ignition and put the engine check light on , iv looked in the dark when its running fine and cant hear the spark sounding noise,, only when its about to start the relay click "  has no one any idea what this could be ,, cant trust it to go out now " help!!!
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 21:49    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

jimmybond

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Id be looking at your fuel pump relay.
some of these had issues.
They stopped power to fuel pump in tank.
stick a multi meter on wires to pump or a light bulb so you can see whats going on when clicking etc.
Let me know how you get on.
also have you put a piece of wire across diagnostic plug to count the flashes to see what the fault code is.
nick-dudley
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Leo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 0:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most likely it isn't the relay for the fuel pump. Take off the passenger kick panel, unbolt the ecu and pull forward, follow wires back to pump relay. Pull relay down and identify the black wire with red tracer. With the engine running, run  a test light from a live source, and earth directly to this black wire with a red tracer. Tape the test light or place where visible when driving, or have an assistant observe when driving. If it flashes or fails to illuminate, then it is indicating an ecu fault.  You may not see a problem on the ecu board but it will be there. Common symptoms of Ecu problems are non starting, misfiring, erratic idle, and fuel pump triggering problems. Amongst others.  Have had a few that indicate a relay problem but turn out to be ecu, usually giving an intermittent problem, one even used to jerk and jolt like buckaroo. If the black / red wire isn't providing the earth permanently with ignition on for the pump relay, and that is the only problem, it is perfectly acceptable to isolate this wire from the ecu, and run an earth straight to this wire into the relay.
nick-dudley
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Leo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 0:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to add, if the check engine light is not working on ignition on before starting, it is most definitely an ecu fault,  most start out as intermittent or erratic idle faults, it's the capacitors starting to leak, or just fail.
wingchun1956

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:41    Post subject: wierd " Reply with quote

Hi and thanx for the very informative replies, iv been away on holiday ,, for 2 weeks ,,  Right ,, i will set up this test light when given a chance ,, but its not faulted since ????   it did it once on a thirty mile trip ,, for a few seconds,  clicking relay ,, engine managmeant light on ,, and cutting out in time with the rev counter dropping off,  but never actualy stopped then it ran fine ,, but the mrs going to town , it did it and was almost undrivable, i went out to her , and it would tick over but kept trying to stop as though someone was turning ignition on and off, (( its not te barrel )) iv cecked tat out " weird,,and now its fine <<???  will let you know ""  will ang garlic on engine "
jimmybond

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im sure its this model that suffers the fuel pump relay but also as mentioned, I did read on here about a guy with faulty ecu and he bought a used one to find he had new parts soldered in so it does make sense about the capicitators but I never had this problem so cant help there.
wingchun1956

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 17:22    Post subject: wierd Reply with quote

Hi done hundreds of miles without a blip now ??????  very odd"   wish it would conk out and stay conked out at least the fault could be found lol  ,,
jimmybond

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 19:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you fitted a light bulb or multimeter to rear fuel pump.
wingchun1956

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 0:38    Post subject: wierd Reply with quote

neither yet ""  but just wondering it cant be fuel pump as when the relay clicks , on and off the engine cuts instantly " and at exactly the same time the rev counter and speedo drop off,, but as it only off for a split second , they are back up again ,, ??? very odd ,, its as if i was turning the ignition key on and off "  BUT iv checked it over and its not that ?
jimmybond

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I would put light bulb to power on ecu, theres a switched power plus permanent power, put bulbs on these.
andyshirley
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 18:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds a bit like what mine was doing a long time ago. Cleaning the contacts in the electrical plug to the distributor cured mine.
wingchun1956

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 20:17    Post subject: wierd Reply with quote

Thanks again " I cant fix a fault thats not there lol  ,, but when it starts again I will be waiting "  I will be back ""!!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Petrol model specific Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: