QuoteSeek comparison service

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

blue smoke

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Starting / running issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
handytool

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 21:29    Post subject: blue smoke Reply with quote

hi my 91 2.5 deisel has started throwing out some blue smoke any ideas? i have taken off the intercooler and all the large connecting pipes to the turbo , checked the fan in the turbo and its nice and snug fit no pay on it but the intercooler has oil in it as do the pipe work and theres oil in the inlet manifold , any ideas what could be the prob
cheers steve
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 21:29    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

trekker

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can expect an oil coating in the intercooler and all air intake piping and the inlet manifold, as oil in mist form is blown by crankcase pressure from the rocker cover into the air pipe leading to the turbo. You'll clearly see this 1/2 inch rubber pipe.

If this is a sudden development, I'd start by removing the rocker cover and really soak the inner with engine cleaner, swishing it to and fro many times, and finally washing it out.

You'll see a cover plate along one side, under this is an oil separator / baffles designed to impinge the oil mist droplets and cause them to drop out, leaving very little oil in the gas exhausted from the rocker cover.

Excess oil can arise from worn rings and from a faulty turbo too, but try the above first.

Many folk, including myself, fit an oil catch pot into the above rubber pipe, to trap a fair portion of this oil before it enters the air system. But reduce it at source where you can, as above, as high crankcase pressure will cause oil leaks around the engine, and higher oil consumption.
handytool

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:20    Post subject: blue smoke Reply with quote

yes it has just started happening and about a month ago i had the rocker cover off cause had a small oil leak so i cleaned it real well and replaced gasket , maybe i missed something under there but that small breather pipe blows alot of air out if u disconect it fromthe larger pipe
trekker

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 14:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, is the gas from that breather pipe blowing a lot even with the engine on idle ?

Is the breather gas carrying oil with it, enough to spray out of the breather over a couple of minutes ?

When you say "oil in the manifold", is that a fairly dry surface coating, or puddling ?
handytool

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 21:38    Post subject: blue smoke Reply with quote

yes its blows out strong enough so u can def feel it
the oil on the inlet manifold is wet if u run your finger around the inside
tonite i disconnected the small breather pipe that goes into the large pipe from the air filter stuck it into a small bottle and taped it up so any oil would collect in bottom but left a space for the air to escape , after about 5 or6 miles of running around tonite there was some oil residue in the but probs only 3 0r 4 droplets in total.
the most notable time when i see a big cloud of smoke is after i reverse at the bottom of my street then drive away again
trekker

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 16:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest you leave the catch pot in place, and see if there's any reduction in blue smoke, though so far it doesn't look of any significance, it's worth monitoring.

Oil burning is usually a result of worn rings or worn valve seals, but not usually a sudden occurrence.
Also from seal failure on the turbo. If the home made catch pot is working, there should be very little oil in the turbo or the system to the manifold.

Give the engine a good prolonged blast for a while, my 2.5 builds up soot in the exhaust system, yet seems to burn clean, so at least monthly it is foot flat in 3rd gear up a long incline if possible, say around 3500 - 4000 rpm. Pour a good dose of injector cleaner in the tank before hand.

What is your oil consumption ?

Let's know how things develop.
handytool

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 21:50    Post subject: blue smoke Reply with quote

havent had time to try that yet but i managed to take exhuast off the back of the turbo and its just carbon build up inside i let it tick over for 10 mins giving it the odd good rev up now and then and no signs of any wet oil , could the timing be out
trekker

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the timing was out, you'd have difficulty starting or a very clattery engine. As you've said it performs well, I doubt that, but it's easy to check on the 2.5.

Some where above I've just advised someone how to do this, but the Haynes is ok on this check / setting.
handytool

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:41    Post subject: Blue smoke Reply with quote

Yes I have took off the top top belt cover and marks line up but there is a lower timing belt? Does this one need checked and strange thing it is taking a few turns to start it now and after u leave it running Dow a few mins then tap the accelerator the revs die off and it stalls
trekker

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

The belt you see engaged in the IP and cam sprockets runs directly around a crank sprocket.

There is a second belt, for the two silent shafts or balance shafts, which runs around a second pulley on the crank, and around two balance shaft sprockets. They are two separate systems.

Have you set the idle speed to around 750 rpm, that's the correct speed.
handytool

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 13:16    Post subject: Blue smoke Reply with quote

Will check that out tonite
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Starting / running issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: