Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

gearbox problem need a good mechanic bromley kent area

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission & 2WD / 4WD Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marmike1

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 13:41    Post subject: gearbox problem need a good mechanic bromley kent area Reply with quote

my Pajero seems to have a problem, do not know what, but has trouble shifting up auto gears. Can anyone help by suggesting a good mechanic in the Bromley, Kent area.
Regards,
marmike1
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 13:41    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

trekker

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 15:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you describe the problem in more detail, there's a lot of experienced guys here who will likely give advice on how to solve the problem yourself, and at no cost.

try it.  Smile
marmike1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 17:08    Post subject: The issue Reply with quote

I took the car in as there is  a water leak. The mechanic removed the thermostat as he thought this was building up pressure which was causing a leak. The car was fine when i was driving around, but i asked him to replace the thermostat.  After he done this there appeared to be an issue with the gears.

When driving, i have to depress the accelerator very very slowly. Building up to 30 miles per hour does take a while. When you reach around 30Mph, the gear seems to slip back down to first/second gear and the revs increase. I then have to take my foot off the accelerator. The car is fine for driving around roads, but of course i can't drive on motor ways as the car cannot pick up enough speed.

before this, you could put your foot down and the gears would be sloshed together with no issue at all.

Any advice?

TIA
marmike1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 17:12    Post subject: The problem in more detail Reply with quote

I took the car in as there is  a water leak. The mechanic removed the thermostat as he thought this was building up pressure which was causing a leak. The car was fine when i was driving around, but i asked him to replace the thermostat.  After he done this there appeared to be an issue with the gears.

When driving, i have to depress the accelerator very very slowly. Building up to 30 miles per hour does take a while. When you reach around 30Mph, the gear seems to slip back down to first/second gear and the revs increase. I then have to take my foot off the accelerator. The car is fine for driving built up areas, but of course i can't drive on motor ways as the car cannot pick up enough speed.

Before this, you could put your foot down and the gears would be sloshed together with no issue at all.

Any advice?

TIA
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 17:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like the mechanic who did your thermostat has somehow managed to disturb the kickdown cable and it is kicking down too early.

What model truck have you got?
marmike1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 18:03    Post subject: kickdown cable Reply with quote

peteinchad wrote:
It sounds like the mechanic who did your thermostat has somehow managed to disturb the kickdown cable and it is kicking down too early.

What model truck have you got?

how do you fix it, model swb 1991
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 18:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't say if it is a 2.8 or 2.5.

I am only familiar with the 2.8 and the kickdown cable is at the other side of the engine to the thermostat so how he messed it up is a bit of a mystery.

If the kickdown cable is too tight then the auto box will change down gear with only a slight touch of the accelerator pedal - which is the symptom you have.

For a 2.8 THIS POST explains how to adjust it - a 2.5 woudn't be much different I think.
Mark3
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 18:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kick down cable or maybe cold running auto box sensor lead is off?
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 18:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
auto box sensor lead is off?

That seems more likely to have been pulled off accidentally when having the thermostat changed.

I'm not sure where that is though - one of the two sensors near where the top hose connects to the head I assume.
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 19:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would check if any of the cables on these sensors have been pulled off.

These are for the 2.8

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission & 2WD / 4WD Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: