Automotive handbooks / manuals

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Anyone tried steering idler poly-bushes?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Wheels, tyres, suspension, brakes and steering
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rob546454

Zodiac: Libra

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 23:30    Post subject: Anyone tried steering idler poly-bushes? Reply with quote

Whilst trying to find an internal steering box bush I came across this, but I don't know of anyone that has tried them.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shogun-Pajero-Mk2-91-00-Steering-Idler-Bush-Kit-SuperPro-Poly-/231290562346?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item35d9fde72a
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 23:30    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used SuperPro poly bushes on my shock absorbers.

TDC Automotive is the eBay name of PRI Racing who are a good company and the SuperPro bushes have a good reputation.
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a word of warning though.

Poly bushes can squeak if not lubricated properly.
trekker

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience, more wear often takes place on the steel shaft than on a plastic or even a white metal bush. So replacing bushes may not entirely overcome slack in the idler. This was the case in my idler.

When I fitted my new idler some few years back, I drilled, tapped and fitted a grease nipple to the arm, drilled  in between the two bushes. Greasing this idler along with the other steering points keeps water and gunge out, and I still have no perceptible wear after around 50 00 km.
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

My idler has a grease nipple and I think it is the original one from when the truck was new.

150,000 km later and it is still good because it has been regularly greased my me and the previous owner. Up until I got the truck it had been serviced by the same garage that originally imported it and they have obviously done a good job.
Rob546454

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 16:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes some replacements do have nipples too. I was just thinking maybe the poly bushes will make the steering more accurate and less tractor like.
trekker

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 16:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure these poly bushes will have less friction than the original plastic bushes, but, greasing mine made a noticeable improvement in steering ease.
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 16:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately I think the technology used for the whole steering system is not much better than a tractor!

Mine is reasonably accurate but I changed the Pitman arm and all four of the track rod ends.

It also may be worth looking to see if the steering box needs adjusting
Rob546454

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 23:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats what I mean, Its like that so its tough, but it means there are more moving parts etc. I just thought poly bushing everything would firm things up a bit. I'm looking at getting another shogun/paj and rebuilding it so I have a lot of ideas.
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rebuilt my front suspension and used OEM rubber bushes everywhere (except my shock bushes) because quite a few people on here were having problems with poly bushes squeaking.

Apparently the squeaking is very loud and pedestrians turn round to look at you!

Also - the OEM rubber ones last much longer than the poly ones - and tbh my front suspension and steering feels fine.
CDJ

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 20:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reference the noise off the poly bushes. The lower wishbone and upper wishbone...you can't use the factory torque settings, the bushes are a lot bigger than the rubber OEM ones and therefore the factory torque setting causes the poly bushes to bind.

That makes a ridiculous noise.  I've been experimenting with mine, loosening the bolts just a tad so the wishbones move freely without that bloody noise.  They are awesome now...to be honest I feel like a fool for not doing it sooner. They are all nylocks too so they shouldn't be going anywhere.  It all held up great at the play and play site.  Cool
Rob546454

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 23:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair comments. Its difficult to ask if the poly bushes made a difference as no doubt the ones being replaced were knackered anyway.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Wheels, tyres, suspension, brakes and steering All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: