Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

4h on superselect

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission & 2WD / 4WD Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wolf9247

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 19:55    Post subject: 4h on superselect Reply with quote

got a problem with my shogun 3.5 v6 lwb 1996 model, it has super select i guess ive been reading and searching this forum for hours for simaler answers. i have 2h , 4h 4llc and 4hlc and also a rear diff lock switch , now when i drive 2h all is fine when i try and drive in 4h it pulls me all over the place i can then stop put it in 2h and reverse and then caryy on and its fine , i have tested off road the 4hlv and 4lc and it appears to engage and work . well the lights light up lol

i really dont understand why when in 4h it pulls me all over the place really fighting the sterring wheel left and right,

I was under the impression the super selects you could drive in 4h all day long and it was only the the ones without centre diff that got wound up and had the symptoms i am describing .

all help greatly appreciated.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 19:55    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

SteveW-DID

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 18:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like your center diff is locking ie when you think you are selecting 4H your actually getting 4 high locked.
trekker

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 19:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Engage 4hlc and feel if the truck drives the same as 4h. You'll know if worm is on to some thing there.
tom fenton
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Leo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 20:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds to me like the centre diff is locked when it should not be.

In 2H operation the centre diff is actually locked to send drive to the rear axle and the front diff coupling open so no actual drive to the front axle. Even though the centre diff is locked in 2h mode the light on the display does not come on.

When you change to 4H the front diff coupling closes, and the centre diff opens, you then have 4 wheel drive and open centre diff.

In your case for whatever reason, the centre diff is not opening when you move from 2h to 4h.

Do the front wheel lights go solid green in 4h or flash green?
wolf9247

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 20:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

lights go solid green and can defiantly feel the front engage when on off road but as soon as im on tarmac its pulling me left and right continually like somethings locking on then off will try in the other modes to see if there is any difference
trekker

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this pulling left and right happening after you engage on a straight length of road ?

If yes, then it's not just because the centre diff is locked up, the transmission doesn't wind up that fast on a straight tar road.

Locked 4WD can cover a km of straight tar without winding up, if all your tyres are the same size and worn equally ?

I'm thinking a front wheel drive shaft slipping out, or stripped spline. Something that only engages / disengages on one front wheel?
wolf9247

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea straight road is its a shaft are there any differences between models i have a mk2 3.5 v6 lwb manual, will any manual lwb shafts be ok to use ?
trekker

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 14:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to find the problem before thinking of buying.

Jack up the front end and see / feel if you can find something amiss for a start.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission & 2WD / 4WD Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: