2Gether Insurance 01945 585322

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

1987 2 door

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Newbies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dawidio

Zodiac: Leo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:48    Post subject: 1987 2 door Reply with quote

I am looking to buy an 87 two door model that looks nice on the outside and has great tires. The engine looked clean and there was very little rust throughout. Lots of aesthetic issues = no right side mirror, dirty, dusty interior, etc... Started right up and drove straight and true down the road. The shifting was great and nothing alarmed me working through the gears. However, the brakes were kind of spongy and I wonder if that's normal considering the weight of the vehicle? Also, it's a rebuilt title = carfax showing an accident in 2010, but I can't see any damage anywhere on the body or frame. Mind you, I'm no expert, but it seemed/felt really solid. The guy wants 1k for it (it has a little over 200k miles). Is it worth it to own this little badass machine? I love the look and feel of the first gen two doors, but wonder if my lust for one is clouding my judgment... Any suggestions from the professionals or hobbyists?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:48    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

trekker

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi texan.

The Mk1 are tough, capable and well designed and built. The absence of electronics is a great plus in these old trucks. Spares are around, and much advice available on this Club.

I'm guessing it's petrol  powered ?

Is that price of 1000 in USD ?

dave
dawidio

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 15:17    Post subject: Hello Reply with quote

Yes, 1k (USD). Not a bad price, but as a new owner I'm trepidatious about buying one that has a rebuilt title with so many miles. Again, I have bought cars before and know kind of what to look for and everything seemed in order, but I wanted some advice. Thanks for the reply!
dawidio

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 15:17    Post subject: Re: Hello Reply with quote

dawidio wrote:
Yes, 1k (USD). Not a bad price, but as a new owner I'm trepidatious about buying one that has a rebuilt title with so many miles. Again, I have bought cars before and know kind of what to look for and everything seemed in order, but I wanted some advice. Thanks for the reply!
Oh, and sorry, it is petrol.
trekker

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 16:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the chassis and body are free of rust, then just about anything else can be fixed, or replaced from uk or e-bay.

My wife and I have camped in the southern Africa region for 15 years with our '88 lwb 2.5 tdi. A great truck.

Lot's of sound advice on problems on here, if you have any.
dawidio

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 19:28    Post subject: Should I buy it? Reply with quote

Should I buy it for 1k USD? I'm up in the air. I've tried to post a pic but it says I can't, sooooo... no pic for you to look at.
dawidio

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:12    Post subject: Bought it Reply with quote

Went ahead and pulled the trigger. Wish I could upload pics...
trekker

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

You went ahead and bought it ! Oh nooooo, I was going to warn you, not the 87 swb, it's..........  Embarassed

Just joking.   Laughing  Laughing  Laughing

Enjoy your drive, and post a pic when you can, you need 10 posts. Looking forward to that.
dawidio

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 17:28    Post subject: HA HA Reply with quote

You had me for a second there. I'm actually REALLY happy with the purchase now that I've had it on the freeway and tested out some of the 4x4 action in the desert yesterday. Solid and secure is how I would describe it. I'll post pics when I get up to my 10 posts. Thanks for the vote of confidence! I wish I could take it down your way and visit Victoria Falls. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Newbies All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: