2Gether Insurance 01945 585322

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Wiring Loom Disaster

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Electrical issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Helston John

Zodiac: Libra

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:15    Post subject: Wiring Loom Disaster Reply with quote

Morning All
I wonder if anyone out there has a wiring loom for a 2.8 Shogun 96 vintage? A short last week has left me facing a write off unless I can source a second hand loom - engine side of bullhead. Scrapping would be a shame for this reliable truck with 10 months MOT. Any help or advice gratefully received or offers if the vehicle is of use to you. I've checked all the local breakers and on internet part suppliers list but nothing yet. Crying or Very sad
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:15    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

trekker

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 15:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you contacted Mitzy bitz, the largest Mitsu breaker I understand. ?
Simon_W

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 16:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

FSARoyster (Rog) is currently breaking a 2.8 and maybe he has the loom to sell. It's worth a PM to him:

http://www.pocuk.com/forums/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=53080

I hope you manage to source what you need. It would indeed be a shame to scrap it.
Mark3
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 16:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

As its a 1996 you need to find out if its EDC or mechanical pump as the looms are very different, prolly is EDC but best be sure  Very Happy
FSARoyster

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morning guys,

Unfortunately the truck I was breaking has now been scraped. Sad

Sadly what I know of looms isn't really worth knowing...

That said, are we talking the whole of the wiring within the engine bay?  Reason I ask, Mark3 has mentioned the fuel pump, if you're after the wiring for just the pump you might be in luck, as I've been working on the pump on my truck for the last 3 months, and as part of breaking the truck I figured the wiring itself could be of use.  That said, I didn't manage to get it out in one complete piece, I simply unplugged it from the pump and various surrounding sensors, then cut it out as close to the fuse box as I could.  I was thinking more of having the various connectors more easily available as a few on mine are the worse for wear, and I could more easily identify them and just solder them in.

If its this part of the loom you require let me know, I suspect this is just the tip of the iceberg.

Other wise, this might seem a bit excessive, but if your truck is really worth saving, and not something you want to let go to someone for peanuts, find a local one being sold as spares or repairs, and get your loom, and all the other spares you could need.  Yes it'll be an initial outlay, but I believe it'll workout in your favour, you can then sell off all the bits you don't want, and probably end up making some money.

Sorry about the picture quality, was more for illustration than anything.

Thanks again

Rog
Helston John

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morning All
Thanks for the quick responses everyone.  It surprised me after having no reply from any of the online breakers 24/7 etc. I'll have a look at Mitzy Bits too but I'll obviously need to be clear about which loom is mine. I looked at several supposed shoguns in  breakers yards down here but they were all Pajeros with an auxiliary battery behind the main battery and a loom that looked very different with what looked to be a fold in it. These also entered the bulkhead far lower down than on mine. I was also very anxious about attempting removal as there seemed to be a vast number of wires going all over the place. I'm sure you know the scenario though - raining, cold and standing in mud under a bent bonnet trying to unclip the connectors, scraping your knuckles, only to find some of the wires were already cut off- this after thinking all along this doesn't look right. Then after all the pointless fiddling about trying to look as though I knew what I was doing leaving empty handed. Desperation had obviously been setting in.
Shogun is in a garage 10 miles away and I'm not sure what has been cut away if anything before they told me the damage was quite extensive. This was caused by a wire that leads to a diagnostic plug? near the block tapping away on the block over the last 18 years and finally wearing through the insulation causing a short. Engine stopped at 50mph in traffic. Interesting. It's raining and foggy. I couldn't get the vehicle completely off the carriageway with a blind bend behind me. Even more interesting. RAC chap came and he found it difficult to diagnose. Eventually got there and swapped a fuse. On starting - smoke! Stop stop stop! He then spotted the sparking wire and looked at the loom to see several other wires melted. Thinking back it might well have been better if he hadn't started it up perhaps the loom damage would not have been so bad. Anyway duct tape applied I was able to drive home on hazards only with RAC behind me. I took it to my friends garage next day and after inspection he was amazed I got it there without bursting into flames. Apparently new looms are a mint and would make this repair non viable and as I understand it I wouldn't be able to claim anything on the insurance as it would have needed the thing to catch fire and then burn to the ground?!
Anyway Rog - ill study the picture and confer with garage friend to see if the one you have is the right one!
Thanks again!
John
FSARoyster

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 13:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,

If it helps, I'll take some better pictures tonight, including each of the individual connectors, so you can see number of pins, etc...

Think I've probably already stated, but just in case, these were taken from a Shogun, LWB, 1997, 2.8TD, facelift.

Thanks again

Rog
Helston John

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 14:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Rog
Have already sent your pic to the garage owner and am awaiting a reply. Any extra photos gratefully received.
Thanks again.
John
FSARoyster

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 20:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evening John,

Hopefully these will help a bit, sadly a photographer I'm not...

Thanks again

Rog
Helston John

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 21:30    Post subject: Loom Pictures Reply with quote

Hi Rog
Thanks so much for taking the time to take and send the pics. I've sent them on to the garage over in Falmouth and wait with anticipation! If yours is the piece I need how much are you willing to sell for? That sounds a bit blunt but still! Obviously I'll cover all postage too.
Thanks again
John
FSARoyster

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morning John,

I don't know what it's worth to be totally honest.  All I've been doing with the other bits I've sold off the truck, is look them up on Ebay and go from there, but as there's not any on there makes it hard for me to put a price on it.  There's other wiring looms, from brake lights to automatic gearboxes which range from £5-100.

I'm happy to let you offer me an amount that you're not going to look back on feeling you've been robbed.

If anyone else on here has any input, feel free to speak Very Happy

In the mean time John, if it turns out that's not the part, or there are others required, let me know as I cut out every electrical connection I could see within the engine bay, mainly as I thought they'd possibly get me out of a hole down the line, likewise, if they're of use to some else, better that than just becoming scrap.

Thanks again

Rog
Helston John

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 20:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again
Latest info on the loom is that the engine has an electronic control unit and a single multiplug connector going to it. Does this narrow it down for anyone? Looks as though yours might not be the right one Rog. If so thanks anyway for taking the time trying to help.
KR
John
FSARoyster

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 20:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries John, good luck Smile

Thanks again

Rog
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Electrical issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: