2Gether Insurance 01945 585322

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

MK2 just died, help.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Petrol model specific Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ANXIETY

Zodiac: Leo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so I ground the piston crown as best as I could with a dremell disc on the cordless drill. It didnt have enough revs do do a decent job but I managed to get rid of some of the high spots. The head I took it home and worked on it with the dremell and did a pretty decent job, still has a couple of marks but I didnt want to take off too much material.
Valves are fine and also changed the seal plug which was pretty deteriorated. I suppose that will solve my smoking engine issue.
So Its going back together now so I'll keep my fingers crossed. I guess I'll get some detonation or pinking, I'll hope I dont create any more damage.
Any thoughts or advice?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:27    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

nick-dudley
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 19:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is this seal plug? To solve smoking its the valve stem seals you need to change Smile as long as the piston has no high spots and the valve recess is still similar in shape to allow for smooth running of the valve there is no issue.
trekker

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you found the object which caused this damage ? To have left the engine it's either passed into the exhaust, or it's still inside one of the ports.

Have a good look around there, I'd hate to hear of a recurrence.
ANXIETY

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes whatever it was ,or part of it went out the exhaust port leaving a nasty gouge in the head on its way out. There was a loose bit in the plenum but that came out. I'm going to spray some WD40 in the plenum incase there is something stuck in the grime in there.
trekker

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the piece which passed into the exhaust has entered the hot gas side of the turbo.

Given the very tight clearances there, I would expect damage to the impeller at least.

I would suggest you take off the turbo and inspect that end whilst the truck is down.
ANXIETY

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

No turbo, thanks god.
That would make me cry lol.
Got most of it back together now, only rocker cover, ancilaries and belts, plenum and coil module etc... and we are good to roll I hope.
I recon if I dont finish today it will be ready to run tomorrow.
nick-dudley
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fingers crossed you get a good result , I hope you can at least get back to using and enjoying it Wink
ANXIETY

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

nick-dudley wrote:
What is this seal plug? To solve smoking its the valve stem seals you need to change Smile as long as the piston has no high spots and the valve recess is still similar in shape to allow for smooth running of the valve there is no issue.

Sorry I didn't see your post earlier.
There is a seal plug at the camshaft free end. On later models there is an O-ring held by a plate.
This was spilt and when the car was standing for a while the accumulated oil would seep out of the crack and drip round the back of the engine and on to the exhaust manifold. When starting the engine after being stopped for a few days it looked like they had dropped a smoke grenade in my engine compartment.
nick-dudley
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing I understand now, you had external oil smoking problems, not exhaust related oil burning  Embarassed
Yes had a few oil leaks related to those plugs on both mine and customers v6's. Some gasket sets don't contain them.
At least you're close to getting sorted Wink
My low mileage v6 is due to have head gaskets and valve seals, not needing them yet but wanting to do it for peace of mind Wink
ANXIETY

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, little by little its getting sorted now. Still hasn't cost me a grand yet so my budjet project is doing well despite this hiccup. Razz
ANXIETY

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

IT LIVES!!!!!!!!!

At last, it fired on the second push of the button (I've got a pust start button).
It runs ok but I've got that nagging image of the damaged pistion in the back of my mind.
The only problem is that after a while of starting the engine the amber oil light comes on.
The oil level is ok, I suppose the oil level sensor is a bit gunked up from having the oil sump empty for some time.
nick-dudley
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great news Wink
You need to try and enjoy it now rather than just see it broken down  Confused And push the thoughts of a damaged piston to the back of your mind, else you'll always worry about it. I had the same problem with the oil level sensor and it is a common problem, it bugged me a lot so I took the bulb out and manually  checked oil level every day until I had used it for a few weeks and trusted it.
Concentrate on using, and planning mods Wink
ANXIETY

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

For sure its time to enjoy it more... Basicly I bought it to take the family out to the countryside so my planned mods will go towards a outing vehicle so mods will be DIY awning, fixings for tables, chairs bicicles, etc....and maybe a lift and snork to get across rivers to get to the good spots lol.
Fitted a cool Skunk2 gear knob yesterday, had enough of the old manky cigarette stained one. Laughing
BTW some how while fiddling underneath I've fixed by accident the 4X4 flashing lights in my dash  Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Petrol model specific Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: