Help the Club - Click to Buy!

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Shogun sport Animal v6 rebuild.

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Challenger / Sport useful links
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neilwaterton

Zodiac: Libra

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all. Hope someone can help with a couple of issues concerning the forthcoming rebuild. Many different views on the 'net about reusing mls head gaskets with a copper spray on both sides, or going back to a composite head gasket, which is more forgiving with uneven head/block surfaces. Also are the head bolts reusable? Ive been looking for some references to this issue, and cannot find much. There is a U.S. forum that states head bolts are reusable if a certain length or under, i.e. not stretched, but cannot find any spec to that end. Seems rebuilds of this engine are not all that common, and hence information for the keen amatuer rebuilder suffers a similar fate. Would appreciate contact with any member who has good/lots of experience with these motors, and willing to impart a few tips. Thanks to all readers taking an interest.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:42    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

neilwaterton

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi to all. This week we have the short motor back from Cramers, Watford. New mains +20thou, new ends,new rings, bore hone,
and rebuilt back up ready to be installed. Monday evening in the failing light I managed to get the block in position married up to the torque convertor and sitting on the mounts, and Tuesday morning got it all bolted up. Started to piece together some ancilliary bits and bolt them  on. Starter,(What an absolute pain, must be almost impossible with heads, manifolds and down pipe in position), crankshaft position sensor, bottom pulley, A/c unit on its massive cast bracket, oil filter housing and filter.. Now hunting for some head gaskets or a full top end gasket set. Found a full head set at £135 with composite hg's in Germany but still looking for a pair of multi layer steels that dont cost more than the car's worth!!All suggestions noted please.  Stopped the rebuild for a couple of weeks now cos am away for birthday weekend, and bathroom refit for friends next week in Buckingham.. Will update soon.
Simon_W

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you've made good progress! I hope that Cramers did a good job at a reasonable price.

Victor Reinz (now part of Dana) produce Multi-layer Steel head gaskets. Their gasket range is here for Mitsubsishi: Victor Reinz Mitsubishi gaskets

I've purchased Victor Reinz products from Ivor Searle, who were helpful and efficient. http://www.ivorsearle.co.uk/
neilwaterton

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the links in your posting. I will look into that source along with a couple of other options, but as i said all ops are suspended for a while,
to allow normal life to catch up.  Btw are you in the trade or a keen amateur ? Cheers for now.
Simon_W

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

neilwaterton wrote:
Btw are you in the trade or a keen amateur ?

Keen and very amateur! Laughing
neilwaterton

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 18:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have looked in vain for a step by step guide to re-installing the engine into my Shogun Sport project, There is nothing published that I can find for the keen amateur, so i'm writing it up as I go. Written in plain English, pointing out a few pitfalls, and noting a few bits of useful info as I go. Such as the crankshaft and camshaft sensors are the same at the business end (J5T), but crank has an orange 3 pin rectangular plug, and the cam a blue triangular plug.. We'll see how it goes, but the bottom end is together and bolted in  with starter,A/c unit and bracket, lower pulley and sensor , and oil filter housing and filter in place. Next looks like the heads need to go on, along with manifolds pre-fitted. Dont know yet, and still looking to see if I can use the old head bolts.  Loads of stuff to find out as we assemble the 'lump', but although the Haynes is pretty u/s when it comes to order of re-assembly, it does give useful torque setttings. Lots more to come, but ops are now pending, due to some other activities pressing for attention.
neilwaterton

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 22:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pleasantly surprised by the gasket set that arrived from Germany today, with a host of top end gaskets in metal with silicon coating, and best of all 2 mls head gaskets, identical to the 2 that came off (only new of course) So again in the failing light I couldn't resist giving the block a final wipe over, placing these two beauties on there and dropping the previously refurbed heads onto their position. set the head bolts into their threads and just hand tightened overnight, will pull them down in the morning, 30 then 60 then 80 lbs ft. all in sequence. That should keep the innards from any harm through standing for a couple of weeks from now. More another day. thanks. Neil
neilwaterton

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 21:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all.
Things have moved on a bit. Have the timing belt with all its necessary idlers and gears now fitted, and all timed up. Learnt an awful lot just by offering things up then going to the pc to read up a few questions/details of said part in hand. Only baddie I made was to put the inlet manifold on and nip it down, then had to remove to put a silly little water pipe on front to back, that sits in the block 'valley'. Sprayed the new gasket with copper spray and re-used it. Should have numbered the bits as they came off in order, but hey ho. Once the rocker shafts are installed, I will spin the thing over a few times by hand, see if anything comes together that shouldn't. Having turned it over numerous times without the valves going up and down, the timing marks are coming back to their original markers so we are on the right path. Still loads to do, seems like I have more parts to put on than i took off..Still nice to progress and understand it as you go. Wouldn't hesitate to have a bash at another one now, so will be looking for a knackered V6 Sport/Challenger soon. The V6 is such a nice lump to work on when you get to know and understand it. I bet the DOHC is a different tale though. Still, never know till you've tried. More next time. Ta.
neilwaterton

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 21:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all.
Things have moved on a bit. Have the timing belt with all its necessary idlers and gears now fitted, and all timed up. Learnt an awful lot just by offering things up then going to the pc to read up a few questions/details of said part in hand. Only baddie I made was to put the inlet manifold on and nip it down, then had to remove to put a silly little water pipe on front to back, that sits in the block 'valley'. Sprayed the new gasket with copper spray and re-used it. Should have numbered the bits as they came off in order, but hey ho. Once the rocker shafts are installed, I will spin the thing over a few times by hand, see if anything comes together that shouldn't. Having turned it over numerous times without the valves going up and down, the timing marks are coming back to their original markers so we are on the right path. Still loads to do, seems like I have more parts to put on than i took off..Still nice to progress and understand it as you go. Wouldn't hesitate to have a bash at another one now, so will be looking for a knackered V6 Sport/Challenger soon. The V6 is such a nice lump to work on when you get to know and understand it. I bet the DOHC is a different tale though. Still, never know till you've tried. More next time. Ta.
neilwaterton

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 21:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont know why last post came up 4 times ??!! now deleting by editing 3 of them.

Last edited by neilwaterton on Tue Oct 14, 2014 21:21; edited 1 time in total
neilwaterton

more editing

Last edited by neilwaterton on Tue Oct 14, 2014 21:26; edited 1 time in total
neilwaterton

last time edit. cheers an goodnight.
Simon_W

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 22:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done. Glad you're making progress and enjoying doing it.  Smile

Looking forward to a few more pics in due course.  Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Challenger / Sport useful links All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: