Help the Club - Click to Buy!

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

4WD problem that I cannot get fixed! Someone please help?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission & 2WD / 4WD Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Silver Digger

Zodiac: Leo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 22:04    Post subject: 4WD problem that I cannot get fixed! Someone please help? Reply with quote

This is a bit of a story so apologies for all the reading lol

I have a lovely SWB 1993 Auto Pajero which I had a 2" body lift and £600 worth of 33" tyres added to for doing some off-roading.
Problem is the lights just flash when I put it in 4WD. It does drive ok like this but it's just in 2WD.

1st cause we noticed is that the vacuum solenoid on the inner wing was not wired up. So, when I add a 12v feed to it you hear the solenoid and the vacuum switching.
If I then keep this 12v feed on and put it into 4WD, the truck does move forward slowly (as if it was a manual and the clutch was slipping) but there's also sometimes a whirring noise from front diff.
We've been underneath and greased the actuator rod, and the rod does move back and forth when we work the solenoid - although I'm not sure how far it's supposed to travel?

I've had it into different garages locally and they all seem reluctant to get involved. I even took it to the Mitsubishi dealer here in Dundee and paid for them to do a 30 minute inspection/report on the problem, but (after paying for it) they tell me they'll need a 3 hour inspection (just to diagnose it). I'm even willing to do this but they won't get back to me to arrange a day to bring it in!
So I'm at a loss... After doing the body lift and shelling out for big tyres I'm kinda committed to getting the 4WD working but don't know what to do next.

The garages I've given it to I also supplied a print-out of the sticky thread from here on the guide to diagnosing the 4WD system, but as I say, they just seem reluctant to help - and my own technical abilities are limited.

Any ideas folks?  Crying or Very sad
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 22:04    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

Jutwit

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 22:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was it working ok before you modded it?
Silver Digger

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 22:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jutwit wrote:
Was it working ok before you modded it?

Yeah well that's a grey area to be honest. I looked at about 4 or 5 different pajeros before I bought this one. I'm pretty sure I tested 4WD in them all before picking this one, but then I did just use it in 2WD (for 2 or 3 months) until the mods were done so I'm not 100% sure.. I have the memory of a goldfish  Confused
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you seen THIS SITE?

It sounds like the actuator rod is not moving far enough - try helping it while someone engages and releases 4WD.

My experience of main dealers is that they rarely have anyone who knows much about the older trucks - and they do seem to like to charge for "inspections"
Silver Digger

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Pete, yeah that's the print-out I've left with each garage mate, but each time it's came back without any oily fingermarks so they're obviously not looking at it.
The mechanics (or should I say technicians) from the main dealers were about the same age as my truck lol.

Would you say from what I've described, that the MOST likely cause would be the free-wheeling clutch not fully engaging then? i.e. the rod not moving far enough?
Another thought that springs to mind is that I don't know if any of them have checked the oil level in the front diff.. Rolling Eyes

I think I'm just going to have to try yet another garage.. it would just be good to give them it, and say with a level of certainty that it needs a specific item done, rather than ask them to diagnose what the problem is.
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have given up with most garages - these days they just plug it into a computer and it says "blah blah sensor faulty" so they change the sensor.

You need to find a garage that is expert on these trucks - and has a proper old-style mechanic that can mend things rather than just change things.

I would change the oil in the diff just to make sure it's OK - I change mine regularly every year which is a bit OTT.

I think that working the actuator rod is worth a go - they do tend to seize up if not used regularly - so yours might just not be moving far enough. I have a field nearby that I go on once a month just to exercise the 4WD and the low gear ranges.
Silver Digger

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 14:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I took a drive around some garages this morning. Found a wee garage ran by an older guy, seemed like a proper old-school mechanic. He admitted that he didn't know much about the 4WD system in these but he came out with a phrase that won me over lol "I like a challenge".
So it's booked in for Thursday now. Finger's crossed he gets to the bottom of it Smile
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 14:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give him the print out from that link earlier.

Most proper mechanics will be OK once they have a bit of information to start them off.

The 4WD system isn't that complex on these trucks anyway.

Good luck.
Silver Digger

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 14:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Pete. I'll update the thread Thursday evening  thumbright
Mark3
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 15:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck and incidentally where in the UK are you?
Silver Digger

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 15:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mark. I'm north of the border, in Dundee.
Silver Digger

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 0:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wee update, not that there's much to report.
Mechanic confirmed that the actuator rod is moving in and out ok and that my problem must lie within the casing it goes into. Not really what I wanted to hear.
He's too busy at the moment to get too involved in it but will give me a shout when he's a bit quieter (I hope he does).
Has anyone else taken that part of the casing off before?
linchil

Zodiac: Libra

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 23:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you get anywhere with this problem, Silver?

My L200 actuator rod seems seized... Not just sticking, but locked solid, mechanically.
Silver Digger

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 0:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately not...  Still have the same problem. The garage I mentioned is always "too busy" so it's obvious they're giving the job a swerve as well.
Pretty sure my problem lies within the front axle, not sure if it's cheaper to get someone to overhaul it, or fit another axle from a scrap pajero - either way though, I can't find anyone willing to take my money to do the job.
linchil

Zodiac: Libra

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update, Silver.

I've taken the front off the diff, but can't really see into the left side (looking to the rear of the vehicle) where the free-wheel clutch is located. I'm going to try lots of WD40 and / or silicon spray into the diff today, and a few more experiments.

I would be happy to get the free-wheel engaged, then simply always drive with the front diff connected in future - fuel mileage and wear are not big factors, as I don't do a big mileage, but I do use the 4x4 frequently, or at least I did when it worked!

The whole system seems needlessly complicated to me...

And the local dealer won't look at it for 6 weeks. You'd think they'd give some priority to repair work (i.e. getting people back on (or off) the road) but I suppose they prefer nice easy service work, rather than actually doing the difficult work of fixing things...

I'll update you if I find anything useful while I'm digging around inside the diff.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission & 2WD / 4WD Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: