QuoteSeek comparison service

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

DIY metal removal from your engine oil.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Top tips
View previous topic :: View next topic  
REVOGEL
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Citroens and their stable mates Pergeot [I can never spell it  Confused  Rolling Eyes ] that I have owned have had them.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:25    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

El Ricko

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

my concern would be risking a restriction in oil flow when something gets trapped in the magnet filter.

I have always prefered a magnetic sump plug
assassin

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 19:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oil filters are actually 3-5 microns these days as all the paper is made in two or three countries, then shipped out to OE and aftermarket manufacturers.

The purpose of oil is to suspend small particles as well as lubricate, the oil pump is large enough to cope with them and they are filtered out in the oil filter. Particles which  enter through the return hoses, or internal engine drain channels are the only ones which should be in the sump unless there is a problem with the engine.

I; from experience, prefer the in sump types as these remove many before they are pumped through the engine, this preserves the oil filter and prolongs its life, it also helps the oil pump by reducing any larger particles.
dragn

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 21:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

mag drain plugs in sump gearbox & diff are common still in most heavy trucks today
change the oil & filter often use decent oil is the best thing you can do foryour engine replacing diff & gear oils every year also aint no bad policy ! mg on filter wont do any harm although as has been said you wont know whats in the re unless you disect the filter (messy)!
GB1978

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 16:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

just get a big powerful magnet and stick it to the sump near the drain plug.  

any debris in the oil will stay at the bottom of the sump out of harms way
NYRA
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Leo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 16:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

geordie_boy1978 wrote:
just get a big powerful magnet and stick it to the sump near the drain plug.  

any debris in the oil will stay at the bottom of the sump out of harms way
i like that one  Wink good one that  (magnet )
Hugh Michael

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 18:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Mimauk remembers more than he thinks! The old Minis used to have them, an inch long cylinder magnet in the drain plug. I remember draining the oil from one once and stuck to it was a semicircular crankshaft thrust bearing. The chap who owned the car was prone to a lot of bad luck and complained that the clutch had a clunk to it when depressed....that was the reason. He loved his mini though and thought it was one of the quietest cars he had ever owned. He changed his mind after driving back from the doctors having had his ears syringed.
eeper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 17:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

minesapasty wrote:
Helicopters have magnetic plugs strategically positioned in their gearboxes for the same reason........ they pick up any particles, and will warn the pilot, giving several valuable minutes to get the helicopter onto the ground before a possible gearbox failure.

The engines tend to be made of aluminium and other non ferrous metals, so magnets aren't a lot of use on them.

Part of the regular servicing carried out on helicopter gearboxes is/was to remove the plugs and check for debris collected on the tips, giving a sign of wear related issues and imminent problems. Sea Kings are still flying, so I wouldn't think that the process has changed in the 20+ years since I was last climbing around helping the grubbers (mechanical engineers) when they were in need of an extra pair of hands.

I also remember having a car with a magnetic "drain plug", but can't remember which car it was now Rolling Eyes

Not wrong. Scaryest thing in the world is getting a chip warning light in a single engine helicopter, at night, over open water. Think bringing a Bell 206 back from Ireland to Scotland...it all ended well though. If expensively for the new owner Smile

With the magnets, I have a small nylon strap wit hmagnets impregnated into it that I bought for about £5 some years ago, that I fit around all my spin on/off oil filters. When you cut the filter open after a change, you always find filings caught onto the tin by it.
idratherbesurfing
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Location: France/Belgium/Holland/Switzerland and sometimes Italy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 13:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

paj's have magnetic drain plugs anyway... well mine did  Shocked
REVOGEL
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 19:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most Austin/Moris and for a shot time BMC upto app 65 had them my 65 mini [only car ever from new] had one I think.
Alan Newton

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 0:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stuck a magnet on the fuel tank drain plug.. or close to, just to catch any rusty bits from a damaged fuel filler pipe (fixed now) but left the magnet there !!   Very Happy
hutchy

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

a lot of the kia,s and hyundai,s have magnetic plugs now....years ago you could buy a gizmo that went on the oil filter that had magnets in it...i just thought it was a blag to make money from people daft enough to fit them,but they sell them for fuel lines now apparantley saves fuel god now,s how i could do with the whole line being full of magnets Confused
Rob546454

Zodiac: Libra

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite a good idea to be fair. Always liked to use magnetic drain plugs but they are only small. Its easier to remove them too as you don't find yourself dropping them into the oil tray. Laughing
shogun-4fun

Zodiac: Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 13:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have magnetic sump plugs on my type r..one on box one on engine .
Rob546454

Zodiac: Libra

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 14:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread has reminded me of am engineering shortfall that I am trying to resolve so attention if I may.

I rebuilding a 2.8 4m40. The reason for the rebuild is that while offroading the vehicle entered a steep decline, causing oil starvation. Resulting in some rather worn big end shells.

Look at the design; how the sump overhangs the crankcase into the timing case. The timing case is quite a void, at a guess I would say you could loose at least 2 litres of oil in there.

So when the engine was on the incline, the oil drained from the sump and flooded the timing case. Not so bad for the timing gear but bad for the rest of the engine when the pickup pipe no longer contacts the oil.

I am looking for a solution, as is someone else. The mention of helicopters prompted this, as no doubt the aviation industry has a simple solution for this, as opposed to something like a dry sump which is a bit unnecessary.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Top tips All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: