QuoteSeek comparison service

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

injector seals

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Main technical forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grahamandzena

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 19:23    Post subject: injector seals Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

its a sad day really, after 29years (87) 300k our 7 seater 2.5 non intercooler is finally crying enough engine wise lol
I have another half engine that was rebuilt couple years ago,but i got it without injectors,or manifolds,
so plan is to use mine after having them tested and reset,
However here in Spain for the life of me I cannot find the injector seals,well actually the small ones, got the larger ones but the tiny copper ones that go inside the bigger ones are proving impossible to track down here,
Anyone ever done thiers? if so where did you get them?
any help tracking down these elusive little *beep* would be great
tried mitsubishi dealers here but its one of thise nice shiny new places which dont carry *beep* all and didnt even list our old beast!

ttfn
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 19:23    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

trekker

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 19:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are these tiny copper seals undamaged ? If so you can easily heat them up with a blow torch or a gas stove flame, and drop them into cold water. This process returns the seals to their original malleable condition.
grahamandzena

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 19:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

trekker wrote:
Are these tiny copper seals undamaged ? If so you can easily heat them up with a blow torch or a gas stove flame, and drop them into cold water. This process returns the seals to their original malleable condition.

That was my original plan till i found out there is only one of them left in the head! Embarassed
trekker

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 19:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

And purchasing copper washers from an auto shop or hydraulic shop ?
grahamandzena

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 20:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

trekker wrote:
And purchasing copper washers from an auto shop or hydraulic shop ?

been there!
these are the tiny ones that go round the tip of the injector,can find the id of them but every one with the correct id has a to big od,so far still searching but its been 10 days now and not found them!
Simon_W

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 23:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

grahamandzena wrote:

these are the tiny ones that go round the tip of the injector,can find the id of them but every one with the correct id has a to big od,so far still searching but its been 10 days now and not found them!

10 days! Did you try Ebay? Here's a link to some: http://tinyurl.com/n5pcgre
grahamandzena

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon_W wrote:
grahamandzena wrote:

10 days! Did you try Ebay? Here's a link to some: http://tinyurl.com/n5pcgre

How did you find that? I punched in injector seals /copper seals/mitsubishi injectors etc etc and never got anything like that!

you sir are a star! now just have to get them and we can go for it,only little problem i have is the engine year is actually unknown as i bout it  blind,as it was already out of the car,although the chassis was still there,so going to have to guess but they appear to be generic so will take a chance,
once agin my thanks wil email them now and see how we get on,have all the gaskets etc,only one thing to sort now,
mine is non intercooler and so has the pipes for the pump mounted in the turbo housing, intercooler models have then in the i.c pipework,prety sure i csn make somehting,up thouh
cheers guys
Simon_W

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

grahamandzena wrote:

How did you find that? I punched in injector seals /copper seals/mitsubishi injectors etc etc and never got anything like that!
you sir are a star! now just have to get them and we can go for it,only little problem i have is the engine year is actually unknown as i bout it  blind,as it was already out of the car,although the chassis was still there,so going to have to guess but they appear to be generic so will take a chance

The small seals are commonly refered to as 'heatshield washers'. I entered that + Mitsubishi into the Ebay search. I think you'll find they are common for all the 2.8 and 2.5 engines.
The difficult bit can be getting the old ones out. Whoever had maintained my Challenger before I got it had simply added new ones on top of the originals. So I had a sandwich of very highly compressed washers to remove, and ended up breaking a tool and having to remove the cylinder head to extract it.  Embarassed
grahamandzena

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 17:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon_W wrote:
grahamandzena wrote:

you sir are a star! now just have to get them and we can go for it,only little problem i have is the engine year is actually unknown as i bout it  blind,as it was already out of the car,although the chassis was still there,so going to have to guess but they appear to be generic so will take a chance

The small seals are commonly refered to as 'heatshield washers'. I entered that + Mitsubishi into the Ebay search. I think you'll find they are common for all the 2.8 and 2.5 engines.
The difficult bit can be getting the old ones out. Whoever had maintained my Challenger before I got it had simply added new ones on top of the originals. So I had a sandwich of very highly compressed washers to remove, and ended up breaking a tool and having to remove the cylinder head to extract it.  Embarassed

aha that explains it,heatshield washers never heard them reffered to that way before,just shows you live and learn Very Happy  Very Happy
to get the one i had left out i simply used a locksmiths pick,went in a treat and pinged it out no problem,sounds like someone did a quick bodge job on yours then sold it!could well have damaged the injectors doing what they did! how did you find that problem? did it cause rough running or something?
Simon_W

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 17:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

grahamandzena wrote:

to get the one i had left out i simply used a locksmiths pick,went in a treat and pinged it out no problem,sounds like someone did a quick bodge job on yours then sold it!could well have damaged the injectors doing what they did! how did you find that problem? did it cause rough running or something?

I was also using a pick, that I had bought from a reputable local tool shop. The end snapped off and fell in the injector socket. Infuriating!

I found the problem when I was removing the injectors to have them ultrasonically cleaned and then tested, which I was hoping might have improved the fuel consumption. I didn't, and I ended up buying refurbed injectors when I had the fuel pump overhauled. Those two things gave me about a 3mpg improvement and much quieter running.  Smile

My Challenger wasn't 'prepared for sale' as it was given to me by a mate who had got fed up with paying repair bills. So I got the benefit!  Wink
grahamandzena

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 18:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon_W wrote:
grahamandzena wrote:

I was also using a pick, that I had bought from a reputable local tool shop. The end snapped off and fell in the injector socket. Infuriating!

I found the problem when I was removing the injectors to have them ultrasonically cleaned and then tested, which I was hoping might have improved the fuel consumption. I didn't, and I ended up buying refurbed injectors when I had the fuel pump overhauled. Those two things gave me about a 3mpg improvement and much quieter running.  Smile

My Challenger wasn't 'prepared for sale' as it was given to me by a mate who had got fed up with paying repair bills. So I got the benefit!  Wink

nice!! yeh dirty injectors will make it noisy,actually our old bus is still running but blowing oil out of the wastegate diaphram, Embarassed and the fuel consumption is dire Embarassed  along with the oil pressure,which drops to about 7psi on tickover when hot,and never gets above 30psi even at 4000rpm!  Embarassed lol still with its age and miles i cant complain really,when changing gear can feel the crank "walking" through the clutch pedal, Laughing but the clutch is original,so agin cant complain,especially when you learn it has towed articulated trucks when broken down, pulled mobile homes out of mud,also puled mobile home connected to a shogun swb which got stuck when the mobile home  sank in the mud the the old girl pulled them both out,albeit with a lot of smoke and noise,so its done us proud and the best part is inspite of its age(30years old next may ) there is no rust on body or chassis,even though we get lots of rain here in the wintertime and we have a half mile mud track to get to and from our house,everything still works except the gloplug module which is a bit nutty,I reckon its worth the hassle to replace the lump and clutch that came with it is nearly new!! Shocked
grahamandzena

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 22:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh dear, it died before i finished the new engine!

here is why

http://imgur.com/TKwgt2x
grahamandzena

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 22:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is why

http://imgur.com/TKwgt2x
Simon_W

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 0:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

grahamandzena wrote:

Shame  Sad

But at least you have another engine on the way.   Smile
grahamandzena

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 14:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon_W wrote:
grahamandzena wrote:

Shame  Sad

But at least you have another engine on the way.   Smile

Um kind of, as mentioned the engine i got was rebuilt couple years ago,or so i thought!
However curious to know I stripped it down, and everything is new oilpump crank bearings pistons rings etc etc,and a brand new cylinder head and valves!
great i thought! except,

it came without a full compliment of cam caps , as you know they are linebored in situ, so i couldnt use the head or the cam,
so undeterred i carefully cleaned and rebuilt my head using all the new parts from the other head, valves etc however once all assembled and bolted down suddenly realised that I didnt have the lashcaps! whoever had removed the parts missing, had taken them with him/her,and of course the valves had been shortened when the engine was rebuilt,
so now the new motor is in its almost all built up except for inlet,turbo manifold,and injections side,because at the moment I havent been able to source any lashcaps with an 8mm 5/16th bore for the valves, except in america,who want a fortune to ship and they wont get here for at least 3 weeks and even then madrid customs may decide they are to dangerous to allow them to be delivered! dont laugh it happens often, so the poor old beast is sat there waiting
for me to find some last chance will be to go to an engineering shop, and see if they can make them,however the spansih idea of chrome moly steel,is not the same as the rest of the world so they could only make them out of probably mild steel which would mean,redoing them every service! Embarassed
oh well back to the search!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Main technical forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: