2Gether Insurance 01945 585322

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

what else should I do

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> 4M41 / 3.2 (DiD) models
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davidfw

Zodiac: Virgo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 21:29    Post subject: what else should I do Reply with quote

Can anyone suggest what else I should to my 3.2 field.  Recently purchased in august to pull my caravan (after having to sell my tremendous sorento which I had for 8 trouble free yrs due to possibly different treaded tyres winding my diff and transfer box etc etc) on a 53 plate with111k at present.  Changed oil to full syn 5 w30,  renewed coolant all at kwik fit and renewed all discs myself with a slight hick up with over adjusting Os inner brake shoes for the handbrake ( I over adjusted it to the point of over heating the wheel thinking it was the caliper........ lesson learnt but It was my first ever attempt with brake shoes.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.   We love this car even more than our sorento except the slightly higher mpg.....
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 21:29    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

geodrome

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 21:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who told you to use 5w30 fully synthetic?
They don't like it! It should be 10w40 semi synthetic.
davidfw

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 22:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was Quikfit.   They said it cost them quite a bit of money or special order, so I allegedly scored. I thought the  engine did sound a bit louder when I got it back.
geodrome

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 22:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go back and get them to change it to the correct oil.

Assassin can explain why better than me.
davidfw

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 22:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read the manual afterwards and thought it should be 10 w 40
 Can I top up with it??
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need the fully synthetic removing - not suitable- it has a much thinner film thickness that your engine isn't designed for (I learned that from one of Assassin's posts)

Kwak Fit are not the best people to let loose on your truck.
venn105
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont use sh** fit,that is my advice!!!

I once(long time back) took advantage of their oil and filter change as was a good offer,i always check oil no matter what when changed but this one time i did not.........

Next day i drove to work and once it got warmer the oil light flickered(telling me oil level)

Long story short the young lad put (probably what the sh&& fit manual said) amount of oil in,2L more and it was correct Shocked

Last edited by venn105 on Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:04; edited 1 time in total
davidfw

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only reason why I never went back was  they said they had properly checked with the dealers and i was thinking with winter coming the thinner oil would be more beneficial to lube the engine more effectively.   What about my other questions have you any other recommendations for my car.  Cheers David.
davidfw

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

The oil was changed back in August.   Ive towed my twin axle van all over without any engine issues however if that's the case I will buy some oil tomorrow and change it myself to 10 w 40.........  Can I actually mix what's in the engine as I already have some o10w 40 as it needs a top up now??
VIKI

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

what I will recommend is to change fuel,air,pollon/cabin and oil filters(with new oil 10W40 Castrol GTD design for turbo diesels) as well,check glow plugs,battery,coolant freezing point {winter is coming Wink } ATF level colour should be cherry red, brake fluid as its a hydroscopic so it suck in moisture from air ,power steering fluid,check/change aux belts as its better to be confident so it will not snap when you be away from home, check suspension geometry,condition of filing fuel pipe in back wheel arch , check for corrosion in back wheel arches, after that you may check springs and shock absorbers if they are factory 1they  never was change from new then find some good gas/oil ones it will much improve truck handling on tarmac
davidfw

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for that.  Have already copper greased all arches 96% rust free.  Fuel and htr pipes under rear arch was rusting.   I treated them now covered in copper grease.  All coolant renewed etc .    

On the oil note because I'm running 5w 30 full syn dealers have just said its ok especially with winter approaching but I will burn more so keep checking.   I will top up with a slightly thicker fully syn oil and they have said you can mix oil but get your money's worth out of the full syn before you change it.... Idea  Question   Mitsubishi recommend morrison synth oil ( not the supermarket) so I've just been told...
geodrome

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

They'll be recommending an oil for modern engines with DPF etc. they will be buying that one in bulk at a good price, from their local wholesaler. All dealers do the same, have done for years. Call another dealer and they will tell you a different make.
So far I've used Total oil and now Vauxhall trade club oil in mine both 10w40 semi synthetic. Both bought in 20l drums as it was cheapest and matched the specs in the manual.
VIKI

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

check yours car manual but I am almost 100% sure so it should be 10W40, timing chain top guide check/change appx 10 quid for parts from dealer oh my advice don't trust mitsu dealers my local main garage told me 2 years back so ATF could be black ish not to worry !!! God bless local and foreign owners clubs for proper advice!!!
davidfw

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive got some shell helix 10w 40 semi so I'll ltop up with that when she starts needing more oil .....which might be next week after our caravan trip to rudding park Harrogate.  Struggling to find how to load a picture of my car from my phone Evil or Very Mad
geodrome

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good oil,will be fine.
You need to use photobucket or similar to load pictures.
One other thing which hasn't been mentioned is to check the condition of the fuel filler pipes from the wing down to the tank, under the cover in the wheel arch.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> 4M41 / 3.2 (DiD) models All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: