Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

how does the vacuum pipes around actuator work?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission & 2WD / 4WD Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hedne

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 16:21    Post subject: how does the vacuum pipes around actuator work? Reply with quote

Hi, i have problem disengaging my car from 4WD to 2WD. Today I checked the vacuum pipes but i am not sure how to understand the result...Any help would be welcomed.

When in 2WD and I take lose any of the blue or yellow pipe from the actuator I can hear a distinct sucking noise, like they are working well and doing their job.

When in 4WD I can hear a distinct sucking noise when removing the blue pipe, but nothing when removing the yellow. It seems like this is in order, that this is how the actuator should work?

THEN there is another third vacuum pipe that goes all the way to the axle. When pulling this there is no distinct sound either in 4WD or in 2WD. Could this be the culprit? What does this 3rd pipe do without any vacuum in it?

Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 16:21    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

hutchy

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 17:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

pull back the rubber boot on the actuator and see if it will move by hand it may just need a good lube up Wink
Mark3
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

There should be vacuum at one or the other but not both at same time!

Your problem is most likely down the twin VSV' s on the drivers side inner wing behind air filter.

There job is to supply vacuum to one side or the other of the diaphragm housing to engage or disengage front diff, the non vac side should be open to atmosphere and when they fail you get vacuum at both sides at same time so it either won't disengage.

There cheap cheap cheap from a breakers and easy to fit  Laughing
hedne

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 13:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

folks, I think I have come close to the solution. When I switched the blue and yellow pipe the actuator went alive, though not fully. When I compared the vacuum strength between the yellow and blue solenoid I noticed that the yellow pipe was much weaker than the blue. Tracking the pipes I found the yellow pipe goes down to a sort of metallic can. This can doesn’t seem to produce vacuum any more, as I would suspect it should do? The blue pipe goes away to the motor somewhere and produces a lot of vacuum. The pipes are actually intersected but it distributes more to the blue because it is straighter I think. The yellow pipe actually drain vacuum then because the can isn’t working.

Could this be the problem, is the can supposed to produce vacuum?
Very thankful for any ideas before I buy a new one...

hedne

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 13:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I think maybe I was a little bit hasty, the can is probably for storing vacuum and not creating. After thinking it through, it does seem like the blue solenoid is the problem. It doesnt shut when in 2H, then it probably takes vacuum from the yellow pipe too and it gets too weak.
i will order new solenoids and see if it works.
trekker

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 13:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I'd say you're on the right track there.

In time, that tank also need a clean and paint to avoid pin holes developing.
hedne

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 17:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

For update, I think the problem is almost solved. I switched the source vacuum pipes between yellow and blue to get the stronger vacuum current into yellow, then blocked the blue solenoid with a plug. Now it goes into 2WD without any complains, and the green light stops flashing too. So the problem must be the blue solenoid or the cable leading to it. This is good enough for me anyway, I will keep it like this until I get hold of new solenoids.

Thanks alot for every help I have received here!
hutchy

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 18:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

deffo sounds like you got it...i always keep a spare set in the shed just in case...as they are expensive from the dealer Wink
KEVINBUK

Zodiac: Leo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 0:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the "third pipe" you mention in your first post the diff breather ? How/where does it end at the opposite end to the axle ?

K   Wink
hedne

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

KEVINBUK wrote:
Is the "third pipe" you mention in your first post the diff breather ? How/where does it end at the opposite end to the axle ?

K   Wink

Yes sir, that was the diff breather and it didnt have any vacuum in it. It ends at the same place as the solenoid pipes, if you look in the picture it is the pipe with a small black knob on the top.
RogC

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look here
I did some fault finding on the solenoids this explains how they work

Super select Solenoid fault finding
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission & 2WD / 4WD Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: