2Gether Insurance 01945 585322

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Veg oil !!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Bio-diesel / SVO / alternative fuels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maximillian

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:15    Post subject: Veg oil !!! Reply with quote

Hi,
Right my swede is well and truly kettled !!!
I've been reading through the postings on this section ....
I don't know if I'm coming or going ....
I own a 2002 Mk3 3.2 DID,
My question is, is it ok to run it on a mix of diesel/veg oil ???
If so, what ratio should I use, are there any mechanical risks,
are there any performance increases/decreases etc. ?
What oil should I use ?
Any other information I should know ?
Thanks in advance for any help.
Max.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:15    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

clay*pigeon
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 17:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't run a Did on veg, you will kill it.......
clay*pigeon
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 17:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

have a read through this lot,
Vegoil
AntonBgood

Zodiac: Leo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 16:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

So u dont recommend it at all? even if u have an older model like mk1? Neutral
rich r

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 17:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fine on a Mark 1 or Mark 2 with 4D56 (2.5) or 4M40 (2.8) engines. But not on the direct injection engines (DID) as the injectors will not handle the viscosity of the veg oil well and will wear out or clog.

You can run 50/50 mix of veg oil and diesel without a fuel heater all year round in the UK, but once you get above 70% veg to 30% diesel you can have starting issues without a heater. Or switch to a twin tank setup so it starts and warms up on diesel then switches over to veg. EDC 2.8s are fine too, but make sure you keep the viscosity down by adding petrol (up to 5%) or diesel to the veg oil. The thing that the EDC pump really doesn't like is thick fuel that's not as runny as diesel - so twin tank is really a must.

Best oil to use is rapeseed (ie normally labelled as 'vegetable oil'). Sunflower isn't as good, and stay well away from palm oil or coconut oil. Those are fine in places like Malaysia where the air temperature is never below 25°C even at night, but in the UK they'll turn solid in the tank. Don't worry about anti-foaming agents such as E900, they put exactly the same in pump diesel.
Don't pay more than £1 a litre for it either - for example, Farmfoods do 10 litre bottles of rapeseed oil for £9.99, and with discount vouchers you can get this down lower. Cash and carry and Asian supermarkets are often cheaper still.

Mix with diesel before pouring into the tank, or it'll sit as separate layers. I tend to buy 10 litres of diesel in a metal jerry can, then when I get home pour it into a 20 litre jerry can, add 10 litres of veg oil, shake and then pour into the Pajero's tank.

There's loads of information on this site about running on veg oil, and it's definitely recommended on a pre-1998 non-direct injection model.
AntonBgood

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 17:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great info. I appreciate that.. good to know to mix it with diesel before pouring into the tank. I must try it. Just the thing is that in Croatia veg oil is more expensive than it's in UK. so the cost effectiveness is not the same. But, nevertheless.. its a cheaper solution Smile
rich r

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, this has been noticed before by people in other countries. In the UK we grow a lot of oilseed rape (also known as canola), which produces a good quality oil, as well as the pods making cattle feed and the rest of the plant being used in power stations to generate electricity. It's very well suited to the British climate and soil - hence the vast amount of fields full of bright yellow flowers you see right across the UK, Holland, northern France etc. Chances are you're already using it a bit, as a fair amount is made into biodiesel and blended with mineral diesel to produce the fuel you get from a filling station.

Elsewhere in Europe cooking oil tends to be from sunflowers or olives (which are more expensive to harvest and process), animal fat or it's imported, which often makes it more expensive than diesel. In tropical places, palm and coconut oils are often plentiful and cheap and work OK in diesel engines after a bit of processing.

There's always the option of taking waste vegetable oil  (WVO) from kitchens and then de-watering it and filtering it. That can work out very cheap if you don't mind putting in the effort of processing it at home to make it suitable for use in an engine. Again, there's a lot of information on what you need to do online. If the oil's only lightly used then you don't need to do much more than heat it up to boil the water off then filter it through cloth to remove the tiny bits of food left in it.
maximillian

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baaarstud ....
I knew I should've stuck to plan A and got another MK2 2.8 TD !!!
They are so much easier to play around with.
Aaah well, never mind, bit late now.
AntonBgood

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought some veg/sunflower oil on a special price, but im interested if its safe to use it during the winter? Because in croatia where i live its never below 0. Mostly around 5-10 degrees celsius. So what do u recommend? If its ok what should be the right percentage of mixing diesel with veg/sunflower oil?
rich r

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 14:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was running a 50/50 mix of veg oil and diesel the other year when it got down to -19C here. Took a little longer to idle smoothly when started, but after 30 seconds or so it was fine.
Simon_W

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 17:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've run 50/50 diesel/vegetable oil at 0 deg C. No problem starting at all.

It may be that petrol is a better viscosity reducer than diesel. You can put up to 20% petrol in, is my understanding. I'm going to try this soon as it's a more cost-effective mix.
AntonBgood

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

So even without a fuel heater at these temperatures its ok.. well thats nice to know Smile
Simon_W

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntonBgood wrote:
So even without a fuel heater at these temperatures its ok.. well thats nice to know Smile

That's right - no heater in mine. What I did find was that the vegetable oil caused the pump seals to leak, and as a result I had it overhauled. I might have tried the brake fluid trick to stop the leaks if I'd known about it at the time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Bio-diesel / SVO / alternative fuels All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: