Automotive handbooks / manuals

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Heater controls lighting

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Challenger / Sport technical forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MDD
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Leo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 17:15    Post subject: Heater controls lighting Reply with quote

Hi all,  I have a 2004 shogun sport 2.5 TD & the illumination for the left hand side of the heater control panel has gone off, does anyone know how to access these bulbs, Thank,s Mike.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 17:15    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

rich r

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 17:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about the Sport models, but if it's anything like the older Pajero/Shogun then you'll need to remove the heater control unit from the dashboard and dismantle it from the back to get to the bulbs.
Simon_W

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 19:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've got to remove the main dash panel. This exposed the heater control, which can then be removed for access if necessary. There's a bulb on the left. Pics might help you:

Bulb harness/holder is shown just to the right of the grease gun icon.
MDD
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 21:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for replies lads, Simon your drawing is my dash, when you say the main dash panel is it the one that appears to clip in surrounding the heater / radio & instrument console, If it is have you ever removed one & if so where are the best positions to insert something to pry it off, On my dash the trim I am referring to is silver clipped into a black dashboard. Regards Mike.
Simon_W

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

MDD wrote:
Thanks for replies lads, Simon your drawing is my dash, when you say the main dash panel is it the one that appears to clip in surrounding the heater / radio & instrument console, If it is have you ever removed one & if so where are the best positions to insert something to pry it off, On my dash the trim I am referring to is silver clipped into a black dashboard. Regards Mike.

By 'main dash' I mean the component which I've highlighted below:

There are two screws at the top of the main instrument binnacle. Look at the main instruments, then up into the surround. You'll see them.

These screws need to be removed. Once removed, pull the panel (circled in yellow) towards you - it's held in place by clips (once the two screws are removed).  Be careful of any wiring to switches, as you'll have to disconnect them once you've pulled the panel far enough out to get your hands behind.  The heater contols, hazard switch, rear window heat switch and A/T switch (if present) will all remain in place as they are mounted on the structure behind the panel.

Yes, I've had my dash panel off a few times and I've never had to use any tools to do so (apart from a screwdriver). But if it does need any assistance then I guess a trim removal tool could be used. The image shows you where the clips are.

Once you start, you'll realise that it's an easy job to remove and refit this panel. Good luck!  Smile
MDD
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for more detailed description Simon, The light came back on but keeps going out & with a sharp tap it will come back on, No doubt I will get sick of that & will give it a go, Thanks again for info, Regards Mike.
Simon_W

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad it was useful. Strangely enough I noticed the other night that the left light is out on my heater control too. I need to remove the dash panel soon anyway so that I can complete the move of the 4WD lights, so will do mine at the same time.
MDD
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 13:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon the backlighting on my radio has gone out, One side went out a while ago but now the other side has gone out, The lcd? display still works but you can't see it in the dark, The radio is a Mitsubishi  MZ312636 which I believe is a Panasonic MEX-850CDC Have you any experience of this, Is it bulbs or LED ?. Regards Mike.
Simon_W

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 13:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

MDD wrote:
Simon the backlighting on my radio has gone out, One side went out a while ago but now the other side has gone out, The lcd? display still works but you can't see it in the dark, The radio is a Mitsubishi  MZ312636 which I believe is a Panasonic MEX-850CDC Have you any experience of this, Is it bulbs or LED ?. Regards Mike.

Hi Mike
Sorry, no experience of that unit at all. If you pull it out and can take the covers off it may be obvious.
Good luck. Simon
MDD
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 19:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Simon, I am going to order a pair of radio removers, The type that look like a wire horseshoe, only trouble is I can't find any with a 34mm distance between pins, Anyway as said thanks for your trouble providing me with info on dash removal & if anyone else has any info on radio please respond, Regards Mike.
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 20:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

MDD wrote:
Hi Simon, I am going to order a pair of radio removers, The type that look like a wire horseshoe, only trouble is I can't find any with a 34mm distance between pins,

Make your own from a wire coat hanger
MDD
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

To late Pete already sent for at 99p but a good suggestion, Thank's Mike.
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 17:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

MDD wrote:
To late Pete already sent for at 99p but a good suggestion, Thank's Mike.

You will soon be skint if you keep buying expensive tools!  Very Happy  Very Happy
MDD
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 20:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All, Followed Simons instructions & managed to get front dash insert off took out 4 top screws of heater control but could not remove it. Fiddled on trying to get bulb holder out in limited space & succeeded but lost bulb down innards of dash. Does anyone know what these bulbs are & where I can get them, Bye the way Simon I replaced radio, Regards Mike.
Steve_C

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 18:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dredging up an older thread!  I may have to have a go at this as the blower switch, heater temperature switch and the right-hand end of the recirc lever are all out in mine.  Not sure if the A/T switch should be backlit or not, but it ain't on mine.

Question 1;  once the main panel is off, is it necessary to dismantle the heater control unit to get at the bulbs or do they just clip in?
Question 2;  is it any easier to remove the stereo / cubby and go in from underneath?
Question 3;  I've looked at quite a few posts to try to determine what sort of bulbs are required - is it easiest just to go the a Mitsubishi dealer and get them to supply?

Slightly ironically, the bulb behind the illumination dimmer switch is out too, but I imagine that one should just pop out with a little persuasion.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Challenger / Sport technical forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: