Automotive handbooks / manuals

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Aftermarket temp gauge fitment & 4WD light relocation

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Challenger / Sport modifications
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Simon_W

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 22:16    Post subject: Aftermarket temp gauge fitment & 4WD light relocation Reply with quote

The general wisdom is that the standard temperature gauge is useless, so I want to fit a more accurate one on my 2.8 Challenger. But I also want to keep the 'stock' look of the instruments as far as possible. So my plan is to move the 4WD indicator lights to the main dash and use the empty slot in the binnacle for the temperature gauge.

So having acquired a 52mm white on black temperature gauge and sender, this is what I have done.  

The starting point is the standard binnacle:

Bezels removed:

4/wd cluster and voltmeter removed:

Used bezel from voltmeter to create mirror image copy in white plastic for temp gauge mounting:

Rough assemble and remove excess material from housing:

Trial assembly:

I then realised that the gauge needed to be set back in the housing. So I scribed around the mounting plate and trimmed it to fit inside the housing:

Like this. (The mounting plate is supported by four plastic legs):

Carefully cut the perspex face (I used an abrafile) and reassemble instruments:

Wire them up:

And the finished job, ready for fitment in the Challenger:

Part II will be to move the 4WD lights.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 22:16    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

venn105
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 23:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome work,that really does look oe Cool  Cool  Cool
Simon_W

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 0:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

venn105 wrote:
Awesome work,that really does look oe Cool  Cool  Cool

Thanks venn!  Very Happy  Very Happy   I'll be pleased if I can get the 4WD lights to look oe too. Hopefully it won't be much more difficult than this was. I've also got the advantage of having a spare instrument panel so I can experiment a little without fear of damage.  Smile
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks good Simon - much better than a garish plasma display.
Simon_W

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

peteinchad wrote:
That looks good Simon - much better than a garish plasma display.

Thanks Pete. Although I do think that the plasma displays can look good with an LED bulb dash upgrade. Some of the bright blue set-ups are very impressive.

This has reminded me of the display on a 3.0 24v Vauxhall I had. It looks very dated now!  Confused

peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 13:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went for the standard look

with blue LED backlighting

Simon_W

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 13:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

peteinchad wrote:
I went for the standard look
with blue LED backlighting

That looks great!  Very Happy  Very cool indeed.  Cool  Cool
venn105
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 13:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW that dash has brought memories back 8-)except the astra gte 16v with digital dash,that was one of the motors to have!!! My mate had one and the novelty never wore off,i decided on the cavalier gsi 4x4 instead with boring clocks Laughing ..........but i had an mpg computer.........4mpg was my record and lets just say the needle was off the max speed .My dash always made a noise after, as it must have sprained a plastic gear or alike inside........as it clicked Rolling Eyes (i was 20 at time and stupid..........still am now just not quite as Laughing ) Rolling Eyes
Simon_W

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 13:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

venn105 wrote:
WOW that dash has brought memories back 8-)except the astra gte 16v with digital dash,that was one of the motors to have!!! My mate had one and the novelty never wore off,i decided on the cavalier gsi 4x4 instead with boring clocks Laughing ..........but i had an mpg computer.........4mpg was my record and lets just say the needle was off the max speed .My dash always made a noise after, as it must have sprained a plastic gear or alike inside........as it clicked Rolling Eyes (i was 20 at time and stupid..........still am now just not quite as Laughing ) Rolling Eyes

Ah, those were the days! I thought that my Carlton GSi 24v was the dogs nuts. 200+ bhp, sub 8 second 0-60 and as near as 150 mph as made no difference. Except that I always wished it was the Lotus version!  Rolling Eyes
What I find extraordinary is that my diesel Mercedes can virtually match that performance and better 40mpg with care - i.e. not often!
venn105
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 14:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the lotus carlton,awesome beast 3.6 twin turbo iirc,my dream car at the time(early to mid 90s) and only in dark green flavour Cool  Cool .
The carlton gsi was out of my price range at time iirc (1995 ish) and was only 20 at time,still the saphire cosworth was the muts nuts for fun,rwd too.........loved it for the 9 months i had it,then i rolled it several times Shocked That was probably the most i paid on a car at £8k but no bills or kids Laughing and £1850 a year ins(cheap compared to these days as group 20 at time and that was top group)  After this i got the cav gsi,iirc paid £6500 on a H 91 plate and almost paid same again over 3yrs in repairs Mad  and mods Very Happy

Good old days............i feel old Laughing
Simon_W

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 14:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

venn105 wrote:

Good old days............i feel old Laughing

Well I've got 20+ years of motoring and other memories on you! But my family and friends are still waiting for me to grow up. Personally I hope it never happens. Wink
venn105
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 16:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing  Laughing  thumbright
Simon_W

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 18:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

After an enforced interval caused by a broken finger, I've finally moved my 4WD lights!  Smile

First, the finger. Yes, it did hurt a bit! But I had fantastic service from the NHS. Just two days from turning up at my local Minor Injuries Clinic to being operated on by a consultant plastic surgeon.  Very Happy  Very Happy

On to the project.  I used a connector directly into the existing 4WD light plug, and used a 10-wire data cable to take the feeds to the new light position. All very simple and very little work.

Then I ran the cable down to the base of the centre console. I soldered another connector and two 5mm LEDs onto a circuit board. LED bezels finished the job off nicely. One LED is for the front axle engagement, the other for the centre diff lock. No rear diff lock  Sad  No need for labels at this stage.  

So job done.  Smile

Last edited by Simon_W on Tue Mar 03, 2015 20:44; edited 1 time in total
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 19:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

A nice neat job - I'm surprised that you managed to find a connector to fit the one in the dashboard.
Simon_W

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 20:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

peteinchad wrote:
A nice neat job - I'm surprised that you managed to find a connector to fit the one in the dashboard.

Thanks Pete. To be fair it's not a perfect fit, but it's got the standard 2.54 mm pitch and enough of the pins match to make it work.  Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Challenger / Sport modifications All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: