2Gether Insurance 01945 585322

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Darn Lucky

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> EVO discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EVO_PAJ

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:40    Post subject: Darn Lucky Reply with quote

So i normally keep some old *beep* carpet on the garage floor to stop any oil getting on it (not that the girl has any leaks mind you) as well as a rug that we don't use anymore. (its also much more comfy than the stone driveway to lie on Razz )

I was working on the car when i asked a mate to stick his head under the car and listen for the traditional Squeak our paj's seem to suffer from.

"You got a rag wrapped round your tail shaft" he said...

Well i cant possible imagine how a rag would get up there so i clambered out of the back and stuck my head under for a quick peep.

"What Rag you talking about ?"  I laughed jokingly...

"That one wrapped up under the car". he mentioned.

First thing that jumps to my mind, is the picture of the BMW driver who drove over a mattress, the whole thing coiled up under her tail shaft making a massive knot of metal and.... well more metal...

I look to the rear right wheel arch and low and behold the rug i used in the garage has gotten stuck to my tyres and rolled itself around the inside of the wheel, ball joint , break lines, discs and sway bar. (can you

imagine the costs of a repair like that... ouch !). My mate was being painful calling it a rag.. it was definitely a rug

Now here's the lucky part, I was working on the car so i drove it about 10 meters in reverse then drove beside my garage for another 10 meters 2 hours later when my mate popped round i hadn't driven the car.

The fact that i had driven the car in reverse then exactly the same distance in forward, when i first pulled the car out to work on it, meant that the Rug was looser than expected. it had gotten just about to its threshold in the 5 meters i reversed then I unwound it unknowingly by driving forward again to park.

It took a bit to remove it but in a whole we unraveled it once and pulled it out no issues...

I had planned for a big drive the following day and if i hadn't randomly, for no reason, asked my mate to check a squeak i don't normally care about, things could have been alot worse.

Starters i reckon my break lines would have been first to go, closely followed by myself.

Lesson out of this. if your car don't drip oil , you don't need carpets or rugs on the floor that could potentially get stuck to your tyres...

Or nail your carpets down in your garage Smile

Last edited by EVO_PAJ on Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:46; edited 2 times in total
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:40    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

Simon_W

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

A fortunate outcome indeed!  

I'm sure you couldn't have foreseen that the rug would end up wrapped around the axle, so thanks for the warning.  Smile

My own Challenger is currently 'drip-free' for the first time since I've owned it. A new oil pressure sender fixed the last of the leaks. Well, for the time being at least.  Rolling Eyes
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 14:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a drip - perhaps use a plastic tray instead of a rug - they don't wrap round tyres easily
T04GTR

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol. thats heaps lucky.

i noticed that both my engine mount top nuts were missing a while ago aswell....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> EVO discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: