QuoteSeek comparison service

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Running swb 2.8 on 50/50 veg oil no modification?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Bio-diesel / SVO / alternative fuels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Simon_W

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 14:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

rich r wrote:
This is what I do (not that dissimilar):.................

If you get your tank dipped at a random roadside check and can't demonstrate that you're keeping records then you're liable to get a fine for tax evasion...

I started off by pouring from the jerrycans into the tank, but I couldn't find a funnel that fitted well into the filler. Then I tried a spout for the jerrycan, and that didn't seal well so I ended up with fuel spillages. The jerrycan pump (circa £30) has been one of my better purchases. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fuel-Transfer-Kit-Pump-For-Jerry-Can-Siphon-Syphon-Race-Racing-Rally-Kart-/301180074075? In case anyone is interested.

Very sound advice about record keeping. I update a spreadsheet with every fill, and keep records of my oil purchases too. I didn't realise that a mixture counts as biodiesel as far as HMRC is concerned. So thanks for the info.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 14:18    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

rich r

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 15:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I find the jerrycan spout doesn't leak on my 10 litre can, but it does on my 20 litre one, which is quite annoying. I have to admit that it's a lot easier using a funnel to fill the tank if you get someone else to hold it steady. I use the sort with a corrugated hose, which curves nicely down the filler neck.

I'm probably going to get a pump of some sort as I'm likely to be getting my veg oil in significantly larger containers soon which I'll need to pump out into the jerry can. And it'll save my back a bit getting it into the Pajero too! I've got an old drill powered pump around somewhere that might do the job, but I suspect veg/diesel might make the seals leak. So one like you have may be a better bet.

And yes - according to the document on the HMRC site ('Biofuels and other fuel substitutes', Notice 179E, August 2011), it becomes taxable as soon as it's classed as fuel for a road vehicle- which is when it enters the tank on a vehicle in this case. So that means if you put in 20 litres of mixture, it's classed as 20 litres of biodiesel regardless of the makeup of the liquid if it's anything other than pure diesel (as you've paid tax on that already at the pump). Hence 20 litres of SVO is treated the same as 19 litres of diesel with 1 litre of SVO. It'd be difficult to prove or enforce much else to be fair.

You're exempt up to 2500 litres in any 12 month period though, so for most people that's more than sufficient. By making something that's a diesel substitute, you're effectively a private biodiesel producer. Smile It's worth keeping a printout of Notice 179E in the car too, with the relevant sections for veg oil/diesel mix highlighted. If you use (or sell) more than 2500 litres in a year, you need to register with HMRC as a producer and submit a tax return along with the tax that's due.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Bio-diesel / SVO / alternative fuels All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: