QuoteSeek comparison service

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Why does my LWB pull away in 2nd/3rd gear and not in 1st???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission & 2WD / 4WD Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
erebus74

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 21:56    Post subject: Why does my LWB pull away in 2nd/3rd gear and not in 1st??? Reply with quote

I have looked on the forums, and can not find anything similar to the issue i am having. Since i brought the car last year, it has always been sluggish pulling away and in reverse. It is much much worse when cold, and get better the warmer the box gets. If i put the gear selector to "L" it pulls away a lot lot better than in drive or "2".  The oil is a lovely colour red and is the right level when cold and warm. No issues with overdrive and kicks down very nicely. I have tried driving in the different modes "Hold/PWR" and there is a difference, but always seems to pull away in 2 or 3rd gear regardless, and never 1st.

I drove my mates SWB 2.8 (same engine and box as mine) and pulls away very fast compared to mine and uses 1st gear to do so.

Any Ideas what could be causing my issue?

Cheers and Thanks
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 21:56    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

ian lunn

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 23:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

check brakes for binding.
trekker

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried pressing the pedal to the floor as a trial pull off from stationary ?  Perhaps it will kick down into 1st under that demand.
KEVINBUK

Zodiac: Leo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 17:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you car is locked in "Hold"

As Jowter explained in an earlier post...

Hold will lock it in second gear for pulling away which is handy for ice or grass as it helps to prevent wheelspin due to the high torque of first, it will also prevent Kick-Down operating which is handy for easy cruising in hilly areas - nothing worse than it kicking down as you apply just a bit more pedal & finding it revving like mad but actually slowing down.

Now you need to figure out why its in Hold

K  Wink
erebus74

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 21:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys and gals,

Thanks for the suggestions, My brakes are not binding, they have just been serviced, and i have checked them again and they are fine. the gearbox does kickdown, but only when in an higher gear, it will not kickdown into 1st. If i shove it into low, then put foot to the floor, she flies like my mates car, but she does not like using first unless i select manually. I have checked the hold/normla/pwr button, and it does work as it is intended, but even under pwr, it will not take off in 1st. but pwr does hold the 2nd gear longer like it supposed too.

Think i need to do a filter and oil service on it, hopefully that may fix or shed some light on the issue
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission & 2WD / 4WD Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: