Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

806 timing marks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Other vehicles technical Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dieselldean

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 19:55    Post subject: 806 timing marks Reply with quote

Hi guys I've got a s reg Peugeot 806 1.9 diesel the idler went on the serpentine drive belt and needs replacing while I was doing this I heard some nightmare stories of it knocking the cam belt out a tooth or two , the vehicle was still running fine but chucked out a lot of black smoke from exhaust , I've stripped car down and still have cam belt on and I'm trying to find out how to time it up before I take old belt off , Haynes don't do a manual for it and I have had no joy in finding images of an engine clearly showing timing marks if anyone can shed any light on where to look or where the marks should be I would be very grateful cheers
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 19:55    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

hutchy

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 21:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

if it has the same 1.9td 306 engine have a read....

1, park car, handbrake on
2, loosen drivers side front wheel bolts,
3, crawl under car use 22mm socket and breaker bar to loosen the crankshaft pulley bolt, it'll probably be quite tight, once undone nip it up again not to tight,
4, open bonnet,
5, jack drivers side of car up, put on axle stand
6, remove wheel
7, loosen and remove intercooler bolts, then intercooler
8, find 6mm allen key
9, behind the starter motor there is a hole in the gearbox housing, put the allen key in it, (may be easier to undo and remove the 3 starter motor bolts)
10, get a 22mm socket put it on the crankshaft pulley bolt, turn the crankshaft bolt clockwise whilst at the same time pushing the allen key into the hole (easier with an assistant but can be done solo) keep turning until the allen key drops into the hole(you'll understand when you do it, may have to turn the engine for quite some time reasonably slowly),
11, thats the engine now on it's timing marks,
12, now put a trolley jack and block of wood under the sump and jack it up until it takes the weight of the engine,
13, remove the left hand side engine mount, basically move the fuel primer to one side, remove the rubber bung if there, then carefully undo the 4 5/8 size bolts and remove the top half of the mount (careful engine doesn't suddenly slip of jack and trap your hand),
14, now remove the 10mm bolts holding the front cambelt cover on, then do the same for the rear cover, except there is one bolt at the back of the cover which is 11mm,
15, now looking at both of the exposed pulleys you will 2 timing holes with a threaded insert behind, on the cam pulley it's at about 4 o clock and i think 2 o clock on the fuel pump, now find the 2 short bolts from the intercooler, they are the right size to fit in the timing holes,
16, now under the arch, remove the crankshaft pulley bolt and pull of the pulley,
17, now remove the lower cambelt cover, all 10mm bolts,
18, now look at the new belt tensioner and you'll see a square hole in it, find the same hole on the car, a short 3/8 socket extension will fit in there and you can then use a ratchet to apply or release the tension,
19, undo but don't remove the two bolts holding the tensioner, now use your ratchet to push the tensioner towards the windowscreen, whilst holding it there use your other hand to release the belt from behind the tensioner,
20, with the belt now loose remove it from round the rest of the components,
21, now replace the waterpump,
22, now replace both the tensioner and idler pulley, to do this you'll need to remove the rest of the metal engine mount, the bolts are quite obvious,
23, replace the belt in the same manner you removed it,
to tension the new belt pull the ratchet towards you then tighten the tensioner bolts at the same time,
24, with the tensioner tightened push the belt in the middle between the two pulleys you should have about half an inch of deflection if correct (check the old belt before removing to give you an idea),
25, now remove the two timing pins in the pulleys and the allen key,
screw the crankshaft pulley bolt into it's hole (leave the pulley off) if you keep screwing it in then the engine will turnover,
26, turn the engine over by hand at least 8 times, then put the timing pins back in as you did at the start, if you've done it all right it'll turn over with no issues
27, recheck the tension again,
28, if alls well then refit the lower cambelt cover,
29, refit the crankshaft pulley,
30, refit everything you've removed, torque all required bolts correctly (except crankshaft pulley which is done last)
31, remove the allen key (2 intercooler bolts will have already been done when fitting the covers and intercooler,
32, turn the engine over again by hand to check there's no rubbing on the cam covers or any other issues,
33, if alls well then top up the engine coolant as you'll have lost alot when doing the waterpump, bleed it properly,
34, put the road wheel back on, lower the car to the ground then torque up the crankshaft pulley bolt,
35, job done start her up then tidy up
dieselldean

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 21:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I've taken all covers off and starter motor , this Is where I got confused because I turn over car using ratchet with socket I thought I located the hole in flywheel with a drill bit but my cam and pump holes are way out is it possible that flywheel has a couple of holes drilled into it ?and I've located the wrong one as it's looking like my flywheel pin is 180 degrees out
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 22:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

dieselldean wrote:
it's looking like my flywheel pin is 180 degrees out

Try turning the engine another complete turn - the piston travels up and down the cylinder twice to the camshaft turning once.
dieselldean

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 23:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that's what I was wondering but the drill bit in the fly wheel felt like it located ? , that's why I asked if it had 2 holes in flywheel ,
hutchy

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

the best way to find out would be turn the crank and line up the cam and injector pump holes and then see if the drill bit will locate into the flywheel,it may also be a case of when the cam and injector pump is lined up if the drill bit does,nt go in ..slowly turn the engine and locate the pin in the crank at the same time....the belt may have stretched a bit with age which is normal or maybe a previous owner has done it and not quite got it righ.. could just be something like half a tooth Wink
dieselldean

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I concentrated so much on lining the crankshaft that I didn't look at the holes on the cam and pump pulleys I'm going to rotate crankshaft one whole turn as peteinchad has suggested then go from there , cheers for all info you have supplied it's more than I found
trekker

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 20:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your engine is the 1.9 XUD, there's good cover in the Haynes Peugeot 306 1993 - 2002 manual.

The timing instructions given below are spot on.

dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Other vehicles technical Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: