2Gether Insurance 01945 585322

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

New (to me) 2.8 pajero with pretty major gearbox fault ?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission & 2WD / 4WD Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Truxx

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

KEVINBUK wrote:
Truxx wrote:
So I've been to scrap yard and bought another set of selanoids which show as OK as far as resistance goes...
Fitted them but still no real change.
It now works fine in 2wd mode although no lights at all on dash. Switch to 4h and I get all 4 lights and a slightly lower engine note. If I give it throttle it tries to move really slowly but no real drive to speak of and there's still a grinding noise that comes from the OSF wheel area...

So had a check in the wheel area and found this:
[youtube]http://youtu.be/JikgOkiFCw8[/youtube]

Lots of jingling noises coming from it ? Is this a simple bearing needing replaced or something more serious?
And would this cause the 4wd issues I'm having?
Reading back through this it does seem like its the cause of all my problems but it doesn't explain the no bottom lights when in 2h...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated... Think I'm close now Smile

Thanks
Dave

This any good for you mate?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1995-MITSUBISHI-SHOGUN-PAJERO-LOW-MILEAGE-2-8-SWB-AUTO-FRONT-DIFF-/131433585827?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1e9a0d5ca3

K  Wink

It may well be... But theres that many different things that could be wrong I'm working through the easy jobs first Smile
I'll stick it in my watch list anyway just incase..

Thanks
Dave
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:36    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

Truxx

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 14:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I've got to the bottom of it...
The OSF half shaft wasn't staying fully engaged into the diff mainly because the snap is missing so there's nothing to keep it in.
So I've put it back together with new bearing but no snap ring yet and everything now works (other than the 2wd lights)  I now have 4wd and 2wd Smile

This whole thing caused by a little snap ring lol  

Got the 4x4 for 1350 and its cost 7quid for new bearing and probably another 20 for rocker gasket plus 30 for 2 sets of selanoids plus whatever mitsi charge for snap ring...oh and 34 quid for new downpipe.
No rust anywhere immaculate condition inside and out almost new tyres.has 6month mot and only done 112k miles.  
Not sure how much they generally go for as there doesn't seem to be too many of the mk3 for sale but I think its cheap Smile  

Thanks for the help lads
Dave
Mike terra

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 16:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done, glad that I was partly right saying the problem was between the transfer box and the wheels. With more than a million kilometers in 7 pajero's I have never had a drive shaft problem beyond the occasional CV boot.
Truxx

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 19:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike terra wrote:
Well done, glad that I was partly right saying the problem was between the transfer box and the wheels. With more than a million kilometers in 7 pajero's I have never had a drive shaft problem beyond the occasional CV boot.

Yup you called it Smile  

Cool  

Having been underneath and seeing how things work I'm feeling fairly confident about any future jobs.
Worse job up to had been the downpipe lol had to grind the bolts off and lots of mud/rusty crud in my eyes. Was not fun. Hopefully tackle the pitman arm tomorrow if it turns up see how much hassle that is Smile

Thanks
Dave
kenthepipe
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 22:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Truxx wrote:
Mike terra wrote:

Yup you called it Smile  

Cool  

Having been underneath and seeing how things work I'm feeling fairly confident about any future jobs.
Worse job up to had been the downpipe lol had to grind the bolts off and lots of mud/rusty crud in my eyes. Was not fun. Hopefully tackle the pitman arm tomorrow if it turns up see how much hassle that is Smile

Thanks
Dave

If it has,nt had the pitman arm done previously it can be done free of charge by Mitsi as a re-call  Wink
Truxx

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenthepipe wrote:
Truxx wrote:
Mike terra wrote:

Yup you called it Smile  

Cool  

Thanks
Dave

If it has,nt had the pitman arm done previously it can be done free of charge by Mitsi as a re-call  Wink

They'll do it now on a 16yr old car?  Seems too good to be true but lll see what they say...
Thanks
Dave
Truxx

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just spoke to Vic Young's in south shields about the recall and they say they have no way if knowing if the recall has been done as my reg number isn't registered on there system? Guess this means I'm not getting it done for nowt lol
Worth a try...
Got my spring clip though £4 Smile

Thanks
Dave
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can request recall information HERE - scroll down to the form lower down the page.

I did and got my Pitman arm done.
Truxx

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 15:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

peteinchad wrote:
You can request recall information HERE - scroll down to the form lower down the page.

I did and got my Pitman arm done.

Request sent Wink  
Thanks
Truxx

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 19:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

mitsibushi wrote:
Having checked, it would appear your vehicle was not originally imported into the United Kingdom by us and, as such, we will need to refer your enquiry to the factory to check if there are any outstanding recalls.  This process will take around 15 working days and I will contact you once I have further information

Parts just turned up from eBay and I'm itching to fit it lol
Replaced the rocker cover today and stripped and cleaned the egr... Engine is now leak free Smile

Next on the list is the full fluid change  Confused  Hate messy jobs like that but needs done...
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 20:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

About two weeks seems the average time from Mitsy.

Although mine only took three days.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission & 2WD / 4WD Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: