2Gether Insurance 01945 585322

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Water pump question (MK2 2.8)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Main technical forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mightyandy

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:27    Post subject: Water pump question (MK2 2.8) Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

This is my first post as I've just purchased my MK2 2.8 LWB Pajero

I have abit of a stupid question, I pulled off the viscous fan & shroud earlier in the week while removing the alternator and I noticed excess play in the water pump so purchased one online which has now arrived.

I haven't been back out to look at the original water pump as I'll be replacing it tomorrow during day light, but I noticed a hole on the new water pump, is this for a grease nipple or what is the hole for?

Sorry I cannot upload a picture as I'm a new user

Thanks for your help
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:27    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

Simon_W

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome.
The small hole is a weep hole. There are normally two of them. There's a good explanation here: http://www.flowkoolerwaterpumps.com/info/common_waterpump_failures.html
I fitted a new water pump to my 2.8 last year and also didn't know what the holes were for.

I hope you enjoy your Pajero.
trekker

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1.

And coolant dripping from the bottom hole will also be the first indication of seal failure.
Mark3
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

As above  Very Happy
mightyandy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I'm glad I didn't try and thread it and put a grease nipple in it then  Razz
Simon_W

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

mightyandy wrote:
Thanks! I'm glad I didn't try and thread it and put a grease nipple in it then  Razz

Indeed!  Smile  Mind you, I'm sure you would have spotted the same holes and absence of grease nipples on your existing pump before you'd attacked the new one with a drill and tap!  Laughing
Roadrunner2110

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 14:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hole below the pump spindle at the front was known and still is as a 'tell tale' hole which indicates the pump seal is leaking if coolant fluid emits. Some people refit new seals but invariably the bearing is also defective which is usually the cause of the problem so I always bin defective water pumps as new ones are as cheap as chips.
mightyandy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 22:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again, new water pump is on along with new glow plugs. Now starting on the button without the nasty embarrassing cloud of smoke!

I wouldn't of actually taped it, it was on first looking at it I was confused by the hole then on closer inspection it wasn't threaded so I actually had no idea what I was looking at.

I only purchased the vehicle a week or 2 ago, just preparing it for MOT then I'll be on the road and hopefully an active member on here.

Had the pajero over around the farm for about 2 hours through some mucky stuff and was overall impressed by it until I eventually got stuck Razz

so I think I'll definitely invest in a winch and maybe down the line air lockers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Main technical forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: