Automotive handbooks / manuals

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Mechanics Quote

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> MOT / Servicing Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greg204

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 18:59    Post subject: Mechanics Quote Reply with quote

Hi, my first post on here and hope to get some opinions on some work I need to get done. Indeed thanks for taking the time out to read this!

I am a first time owner based down in Gibraltar, I have a quite basic understanding of mechanics but do believe all the following quoted work genuinely needs to be done. I would just like to know if the parts and labour time and prices seem reasonable.  Indeed car parts themselves are a bit more higher than the UK here and 2nd hand vehicles hold about double the price in comparison too. I have a 2.5 Manual diesel 1993 MK2 Model......

Stabilizing bars £43.92 each
Front discs £117.12
Front pads £66.47
Rear discs £161.05
Rear pads £36.60
Gearbox select seal £60
Transfer box input seal £ 59.80
Oil filter £27
Air filter £33
Fuel filter £32
Oil £19.95

The labour for all work needed is 12 hours at £35.00

I just want to make sure these prices doesn't seem too OTT for the work.

Many thanks,

Greg
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 18:59    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

dean82

Zodiac: Libra

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 19:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

take a look here
http://www.milneroffroad.com/mitsubishi-japanese-import/pajero/v24p-2-5td-swb-1991-22000-imp-import/v24p-brakes/v24p-brake-disc-front-0

then its up to you Smile
venn105
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 19:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard to comment on the prices,like you say they do differ,here in UK pads are around £20 for decent ones,discs iirc around £50 for 2.........cheap(prices may differ now)

£35 an hour is a good rate,not sure on 12hrs time though..............seems a bit ...........well long.

Again ,dont know how it works,some jobs i would do if you can,certainly brakes etc as plenty of guides on here if have time of course(from someone who never has time due to kids).

If get stuck just ask,always an answer here,may cut your bill in 1/2 and worth a bloody knuckle and swear word or 2 Wink
venn105
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 19:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could buy a K&N air filter or pipercross for a few £ more(as in around £30) and done for life with an annual clean.

Parts are certainly steep,as above,maybe importing parts could be an option..............sure though Greece is a pita for importing iirc,may get hammered in tax and then a months wait!!!
hutchy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 19:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

well as gibralter belongs to us importing parts wouldn,t be a problem...if the spanish play ball..i would use guides on here and do the bulk of the work yourself like the brakes and service,anything your not sure about either ask and we can help or get your mech to do them
KEVINBUK

Zodiac: Leo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 23:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess is the big job for hours would be the front discs...

Other jobs are around an hour each, including looking for spanners and dropped stuff, but excludes the inevitable seized nut/bolt that can take bloody hours alone  Evil or Very Mad

K  Wink
Simon_W

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those prices are extremely high.  With very little research it's possbile to save a lot of money here.

Milners have already been mentioned above. They ship worldwide and their rates look reasonable to me.  So comparing your list with Milner's pricing and sourcing the stabiliser bars on eBay there's a saving of £437!!   Shipping costs will reduce this a little, but not much.

Many of the jobs implied by the parts list are DIY-able, if you have the time and some basic tools. The savings you can make will soon pay for some decent tools anyway.

I don't think it's sensible to run a 22-year old vehicle and not do at least the simple jobs yourself. It will cost you much more than the vehicle is worth otherwise.
Greg204

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 21:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you everyone for taking the time out to reply and sorry about my slow response.

Indeed I feel that they are trying it on now for sure, and now having researched the parts and given it thought of physically how long it should take etc.

It's a pain not having a trusted mechanic, though likewise forces me to learn more which is a good thing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> MOT / Servicing Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: