eBid - Buy and Sell online

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Need an Engine Degreaser

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Pajero / Shogun / etc - non-technical
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GCMS2012

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 13:52    Post subject: Need an Engine Degreaser Reply with quote

After fitting a new oil pressure switch, doing a fuel and oil filter service.

And then being able to look underneath properly when having a De cat fitted (see thieving thread).

I now need to clean /degrease the engine bay.

What do you all recommend??

To get into difficult places, I'm going to be using a garden pressure sprayer with lance, so a water bases one would be better other wise the sprayer will probably disintegrate.

People say to use gunk, or is there other stuff out there that maybe better??
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 13:52    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

tom fenton
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Leo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 14:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any engine degreaser will do, spray it on let it soak then with engine running jet wash it all off. Leave engine running to get hot and evaporate all water off. I use my compressed air line to blow it off as well. Do not spray the jet wash directly at anything electrical.
Have done this for many years on many vehicles.
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 14:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got some no-name stuff in an aerosol from the pound shop on Friday.

Got the engine just slightly warm and then sprayed on and left it for 10 minutes - washed off with a garden pressure sprayer and then started engine to dry it off.

I clean my engine every month - so any cheap stuff works for me because there isn't much crud to clean off.
rich r

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 15:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

You two - never look at my Pajero's engine bay Smile

I've interpreted having a leaking rocker cover and driving from Cornwall to North Yorkshire with a split turbo oil return hose as a rustproofing treatment for the engine bay and underside of the chassis and body... Actually it's not that bad really, just a bit of burnt oil round the exhaust manifold and down that side of the block, plus a coating on the gearbox and chassis rails to about halfway down.

There's a certain amount of veg oil in the area below the filter after doing a filter change at the weekend - I suppose I could have put a bucket or something underneath to catch what comes out when you bleed it though, but I don't see any issues with letting it soak into the grass.
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 15:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like a shiny engine  Cool

Once it is clean it is only a 30 minute job once a month to keep it that way.
rich r

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 15:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only have to drive up the rough gravel road to my house when it's been raining though to get the engine bay covered in muddy water.

My Subaru's engine bay is fairly clean though - the undertray covers more than the Pajero's bash plates, and there's a big plastic engine cover that protects the block and heads from anything coming through the radiator.
tom fenton
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Leo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 16:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't make a habit of it. In my opinion doing it too often is detrimental. I do it when I have an oil leak to sort out, as its then much easier to see where its coming from, or when I have a large job to do, as its much nicer working on a clean engine rather than one blathered in oil and grime.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Pajero / Shogun / etc - non-technical All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: