Automotive handbooks / manuals

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

No front wheel drive engagement

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission & 2WD / 4WD Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
linchil

Zodiac: Libra

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 19:10    Post subject: No front wheel drive engagement Reply with quote

Hello. Classic shape L200, 2005 model. I've posted in the L200 forum, but there aren't many in that forum, and the system is the same on the front axle of the 2nd generation Shoguns, anyway, so someone here may be able to help.

No front wheel drive. Have replaced solenoids, and very rusty vacuum pipes to actuator. No better. They couldn't have made the system more complicated if they'd tried!

When I disconnect the actuator rod (behind the rubber gaiter) the part that goes into the front diff appears to be stuck - will only move about 1 mm (the other part of the pin, the bit that goes into the diaphragm on the right hand side will move against spring pressure about 12 mm.

Can anyone explain what the mechanism inside the diff looks like, or how it works, or how it may have seized / broken / failed?

I don't really want to strip the diff, in case I can't get it back together and the vehicle is immobilised... Local dealer has a waiting time of 6 weeks!

At one point, I did manage to shoogle the rod a bit, and obtained front wheel drive, but no green light and the rear diff lock wouldn't work (it needs the green light on, in order to operate).

I've also seen contradictory statements regarding which way the rod moves when 4x4 is engaged. Does it go into the diff, or out of the diff, to engage 4x4? Anyone know?

Thanks for any help.

Linton
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 19:10    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 19:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Often the problem is a stiff actuator rod caused by not regularly using 4WD - I would keep working it with lots of lubrication until it moves freely.
linchil

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 20:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, but 4x4 gets used almost every time I drive it...

And, I can't actually get the rod to move now. It's not stiff - it has a mechanically locked feel to it. When I pull it out of the diff, it moves 1 mm, then stops abruptly, with a "click", as though something is jammed.

Any other thoughts?
linchil

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 20:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although, yes, I will try more lube tomorrow. As I can't move the rod, all I can do is squirt WD40 at it, hoping some of it will run alongside the rod, into the hole into the diff.
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 20:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

linchil wrote:
Thanks, but 4x4 gets used almost every time I drive it...

Any other thoughts?

Have you been driving it in 4WD on tarmac?

If it is the same system as on the Sport (which I am almost certain it is) then it doesn't have SuperSelect so it should only be used on slippery surfaces.

If it doesn't have SuperSelect then you may have transmission wind up, in which case lift the front wheels off the ground and see if the wind-up releases by watching the wheels spin.
linchil

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 20:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Shogun has the Super Select system, but the L200 is only part time 4x4.

I occasionally spend a short time on tarmac in 4x4, when easing into / out of the woods, so it is possible that I've jiggered something. Also, I gave it some stick at a recent RTV trial...

However, it certainly isn't stuck in 4x4 at the moment - that would be preferable to the current situation of being stuck in 4x2...
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 20:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try jacking a front wheel off the floor and see if it has wound up - other people on here have had problems with the actuator and it turned out to be the strain in the drivetrain stopping it moving.

If that doesn't work then I would try working the actuator loose by hand and lots of lubrication.

I would use silicon spray rather than WD40 as a lubricant.
linchil

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 19:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fixed it today - all A-OK now.

I squirted WD40 into the diff, on the right side of the vehicle, hoping that some of it would find its way through to the free-wheel unit.

Then, a few gentle whacks on the outside of the unit with a 10 pound sledge hammer... (this really seemed to free up the actuator for the free-wheel unit).

Then, replaced the diff oil.

Then, perhaps the most effective action(?): drove it for 20 miles with the free-wheel unit engaged (but with only 2 wheel drive selected). To achieve this, I had to disconnect the vacuum hoses to the free-wheel actuator, and then manually pull the actuator over to the right side, in order to engage the free-wheel unit. In this way, I hoped to keep the free-wheel unit spinning with the axle, in the hope of really sluicing the clean diff oil all around and through the free-wheel unit, in order to clean out 10 years of sludge which was possibly jamming it.

It seemed to work, as, after 20 miles on the road, and then after connecting it all back up, it now works perfectly. I've drained the diff oil a second time and replaced it - from now on, I reckon I'll change the diff oil every year or so, as someone else has suggested.

Thanks again for your suggestions, gents (and / or ladies - can't necessarily tell from your monikers!).
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 19:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you got it sorted.

I change my diff oil every year even though it's not strictly necessary.
linchil

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 19:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easier than 3 days of sweat and hassle!

Thanks again. Happy motoring...
trekker

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 19:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good thinking and perseverance there linchil.  There is a way around just replace, that's prevent it, or fix it !   Laughing
assassin

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grease the rod with silicone grease.
assassin

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grease the rod with silicone grease.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission & 2WD / 4WD Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: