Automotive handbooks / manuals

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Shogun Sport Glow Plugs not heating up for long enough

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Electrical issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fruitandveg

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 19:46    Post subject: Shogun Sport Glow Plugs not heating up for long enough Reply with quote

Hi POCUK,

Right, I've hit up search good and proper and not found what I'm looking for so hopefully one of you good folks can help please!

I have a 2007 Mitsubishi Shogun Sport 2.5 (4D56 engine) which was having trouble starting. Took glow plugs out and two were completely dead with very high resistance. All 4 replaced. Now after replacement, the glow plugs are either not glowing long enough or not glowing at all. The timing for the plug relay is corresponding to the glow plug light on the dashboard, it lights up when the glow plugs are heating up.

If I put a lead to the relay switch, leave it 10 secs then start it with the plugs glowing, it starts up fine. As a result, the plugs and the relay system seems to be working fine, it just seems the control signal to the relay to turn it on isn't coming on or not for long enough.

So, my question is, where does that signal come from? If it comes from an ECU, where is this module? Also, on a Canadian forum, they've been manually wiring the relay signal in - anyone done this or any views on this?

Thanks very much.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 19:46    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

trekker

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 20:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have 1 or 2 relays ?

Did you fit 6.2 Volt or 12 Volt plugs ?

What is the time between the first click as the relay energizes and the relay dropping out ?

It's fairly common for owners to wire in a push button to energize the relay, and also to repair the glow control unit. More to follow depending on the above.
fruitandveg

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 21:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Trekker,

Just the one relay on my vehicle.

4x 12v glow plugs fitted, NGK Y-733J plugs exactly as the ones replaced.

Energises for about a second after key turn, i.e. turn key > click on > 1 second > click off.

Thanks very much.
trekker

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like a faulty glow timer in the control unit.

The manual operation is simple but needs to be done properly due to the inherent risks in electrical modifications.

Disconnect the thin activating wire at the relay and insulate this wire. Run a slightly thicker wire from the Pos + terminal at the battery and straight into an in line 10 amp fuse, right there at the battery, and from there into the cab via a grommet and connect this to a "push to make" (non latching) button switch, and from the other terminal to the relay activating terminal. Be sure the back of the switch cannot earth or short to any other connections.

Fit the fuse, hold the button in for 8 seconds, start the engine and release the button.

Of course, to retain originality, you can have the ecu repaired.
fruitandveg

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much appreciated, thanks - can you tell me where the glow plug ECU is please? I'm struggling to find it!

Thanks very much.
trekker

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 14:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have your model, but pretty sure it's in the passenger foot well, just below the glove box. A thin rectangular metal box. Plug in one side.
Podge

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 15:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it a possibility the ecu is getting a wrong signal from a temperature sensor in the engine? The ecu reading that the engine is warm. Easiest way to elimate the ecu would be to try it in another truck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Electrical issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: