eBid - Buy and Sell online

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

adjustable ride height

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Main technical forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rich r

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 21:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem Dave is that he's in Cornwall Smile Far from any embassy or decent sized university, and there aren't that many Japanese people in Cornwall either. I guess there might be a sushi place in somewhere like Truro maybe?

(don't worry - I'm half Cornish. My mum is from Saltash, and my parents live in Bude now).
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 21:27    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

jimmyw
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 23:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

That LHM stuff is probably very similar to what is in it. How would you describe the smell?

I used to use LHM in my mountain bike brakes because it is the same as the mineral oil for the brakes, only it is a fraction of the price! Is there not someplace that you can send a sample to and they'll tell you what it is? I know you can do that with engine oil to tell you what kind of oil it started off as, what has leaked into it, and what is suspended in it, i.e. bits of bearing.
surfinnerd

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

We dont have universities here in Cornwall.We only got schools a little while ago. Laughing

The fluids page is the key...thanks rich...top job (Saltash... ged on....u nearly a janner then lol)

The system is probably circa 1L of fluid total so looking at the two lowest items(right hand page) suggests ATF/ATF SP or a GL4 spec.

(Toying with translating Japanese i.e order of words etc gives very close results to the ATF SP entry and the heading on the other page about the systems operation).......although I might as well be reading a sushi menu.  

Higher spec ATF's also are documented to conform to GL4 spec....so as these fluids seem to be intriniscally linked by their specifications.

ATF is also pretty passive so doubtful it will ruin the seals.

Also now knowing the approx viscosity range suggested for these type of gear type pumps the cst of ATF SP and GL4 seems in the correct range.

I think we might have cracked it met.

I need to get a couple of metal hydraulic lines made to replace some rusty ones but looks like Ill be putting it all back together soon.

Wish me luck Very Happy

thanks to everyone for their efforts and discussion.
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

surfinnerd wrote:
Hi

ATF is also pretty passive so doubtful it will ruin the seals.

I am in the process of trying to change the rubber pipes that go to my ATF cooler and have been in touch with several hose companies.

The overwhelming advice is that ATF is very aggressive and attacks lots of rubber compounds and only certain ones are suitable for ATF.

THIS PAGE says:

Quote:
O-Ring materials that are NOT SUITABLE for using in the environment containing Automatic Transmission Fluid include

Butyl: Butyl (IIR) is a synthetic rubber, a copolymer of isobutylene and isoprene.
Ethylene-Propylene: Ethylene-propylene (EP) is a copolymer of ethylene and propylene.
Natural Rubber: Natural rubber is a product coagulated from the latex of the rubber tree, hevea brasiliensis.
Silicone: Silicone is a semi-organic elastomer with outstanding resistance to extremes of temperature.
Styrene Butadiene: Styrene-Butadiene rubber (SBR) has properties similar to those of natural rubber.
Vamac: Vamac is the tradename of a class of Ethylene Acrylic elastomer (AEM).
surfinnerd

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 13:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

oh dear lol

Take out a rubber o ring seal in ur cooling system and it will have been attacked in time but only in contact with water/antifreeze, brake fluid attacks seals in ur braking system,gear oils attack certain metal parts of diffs and LSD's.....  

I have read stuff in hydraulic forums about compatibilty is different depending on whether seals are dynamic/static/hi pressure or lo pressure.Which also adds to the confusion.

There are no o ring seals on the high pressure in the system side and all o ring seals on the lo pressure side are static.

I have got a small supply of o rings and had already thought about getting a litre of each for a compatibilty test.

Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes Laughing
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 13:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a bit of a minefield!

I have got some NBR rubber pipes for my cooler that almost everyone says is OK - except one supplier who says it will be dissolved by ATF.

So I am still searching for something that is compatible with ATF and might end up at the dealer and buying OEM pipes - but the dealer isn't an option for you if they haven't any idea on your system.
Roadrunner2110

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried the Australian Mitzy websites as they were importing Mitzys, Nissans and Toyota's from Japan before the Brits could even spell Japan  Wink  Laughing also the American and Malaysian websites as they also speak English and were importers of Japanese cars.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Main technical forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: