eBid - Buy and Sell online

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Ford Fiesta Mk4 top mounts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Other vehicles technical Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The procrastinator

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:47    Post subject: Ford Fiesta Mk4 top mounts Reply with quote

I've got a 1999 1.2 fiesta thats had new front suspension top mounts and also ARB D bushes. After a test drive there is still a rattle coming from the front. Checked the lower arms which are fine, and the track rod ends, but something is making a noise.

After more investigation the noise is coming from the drivers side front wheel area. Shaking the wheel, in the traditional way doesnt produce any noise. In fact the lower arms, top mounts and ARB check out fine. In a moment of frustration I kicked the tread on tyre which produce a definate metallic clunk. Other than outer CV joint (which does not make the usual noises) and strut road, what's left to check.

Any ideas?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:47    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

The procrastinator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 16:17    Post subject: Re: Ford Fiesta Mk4 top mounts Reply with quote

The procrastinator wrote:
I've got a 1999 1.2 fiesta thats had new front suspension top mounts and also ARB D bushes. After a test drive there is still a rattle coming from the front. Checked the lower arms which are fine, and the track rod ends, but something is making a noise.

After more investigation the noise is coming from the drivers side front wheel area. Shaking the wheel, in the traditional way doesnt produce any noise. In fact the lower arms, top mounts and ARB check out fine. In a moment of frustration I kicked the tread on tyre which produce a definate metallic clunk. Other than outer CV joint (which does not make the usual noises) and strut road, what's left to check.

Any ideas?

Had another go at this today. I can remove the strut in about 30mins now including jacking it up! Laughing

Removed the spring to check the damper unit for play but its all good. Struggling to find this noise now. I am pondering on removing the driveshaft but in my heart I dont think its the right sort of noise for either a failing CV joint or worn carrier bearing?
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 16:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't help with the Fiesta but my son's Saxo had a rattle on the driver's front wheel when lifting off the throttle.

I checked everything and couldn't find it - so I replaced the driveshaft and that cured it.

It didn't sound anything like the normal CV joint noise.

I got the complete driveshafts from HERE for £32 each with a three year guarantee.

They will probably do them for the Fiesta
The procrastinator

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 8:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="peteinchad"]I can't help with the Fiesta but my son's Saxo had a rattle on the driver's front wheel when lifting off the throttle.

I checked everything and couldn't find it - so I replaced the driveshaft and that cured it.

It didn't sound anything like the normal CV joint noise.

I got the complete driveshafts from HERE for £32 each with a three year guarantee.

They will probably do them for the Fiesta[/quote

Thanks. I really can't convince myself it is the driveshaft as it doesnt make the usual CV 'click' noise when cornering etc. It also only makes the noise on rough tarmac. It is not a 'rotational' noise or a noise affected by speed, but a random metallic chatter, two metal components hitting together. I've worked on a few KA's and Fiesta's over the last 6 months and have become quite an expert on issues with 'top mounts' and 'lower arms' but this noise is different. I cant find anyone who can confirm that a driveshaft or carrier bearing can rattle over rough ground when worn but not make noise otherwise Confused
tom fenton
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Leo

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 9:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anti roll bar links?
The procrastinator

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 14:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turned out to be the mounting bolt for the drivers side lower arm slightly loose? It was tight, but not fully torqued up. All done  Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Other vehicles technical Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: