Help the Club - Click to Buy!

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Clunkity clunk

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Challenger / Sport technical forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
saltire

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 17:07    Post subject: Clunkity clunk Reply with quote

Hi folks anyone  got any ideas on this mostly when i go in reverse i get a clunk from the back off the sport .I replaced the rear calipers and its still doing it , was thinking it might be the universal joints on the propshaft so i greased them up and still happening .Its intermittent  and does not do it all the time .Could it be a bush somewhere @ the back  or possibly the rear brake shoes which are housed in a drum ? any suggestions most welcome .
Thanks
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 17:07    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

Simon_W

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 20:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impossible to diagnose remotely, I would have thought. Too many possibilities.

I'd put the rear axle on stands and then wiggle all the various bits about - wheels, prop shaft etc. Use a pry bar on the suspension components to see if there's too much play anywhere. Are the brakes binding? Handbrake binding? Is there excessive play in the rear diff when you rotate the propshaft?  

Is the spare wheel firmly in place? Nothing rolling around in the bins at the rear or under the floor panel?  Wink
saltire

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 9:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fitted 2 x new rear calipers  and i think i will put on my pals ramp and put it into reverse   and see what happens .Only thing is there will be no weight on the rear suspension but @least i can check the rear suspension bushes . To me now is sounds like the joint is freeing its self off  on the propshaft  but ???.I could also loosen off the rear brake shoes just to make sure it aint them .The fact that it is intermittent is the biggerst pain .
saltire

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 17:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had it up on the ramp and used a pry bar on the rear suspension bushes but all seemed ok .No issues with the bakes binding  but what i have found is the transfer box mounting bush is  totally  shot  i can lift the box up and down so i ordered a new one from Milners so here's hoping it cures this issue , and if not then a new set of propshat joints will be next on the ajenda.
Simon_W

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 17:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

A shot gearbox mounting has got to be a strong candidate for the clunk. I hope it turns out that way.
saltire

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Propshaft joints next as its still doing it and if this dont cure it then i will need to put it into a garage and see if they can track down the culprit .
Gave my pal a run and he recons its the torsion bar , i have never had any dealing with ajusting  or replacing these so i think i might need to go to a garage .
J.F

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 19:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

you say you " found is the transfer box mounting bush is  totally  shot  i can lift the box up and down so i ordered a new one from Milners"  Can I ask did you order this item http://www.milneroffroad.com/mitsubishi-uk-europe/challengersport/k94-2-5td-81998-22009/k94-transmission/k94-transfer-box-mounting

If so it's not supposed to be a solid bush, the inner is supposed to separate from the outer (so it appears shot)

Below is a quote of the installation procedure from Mitsubishi official workshop manual.

"When new a transfer roll stopper consists of one part, but will separate into outer and inner part during use. This is normal."
saltire

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 18:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats interesting  but mine had no outer rubber left at all the transfer box will flex now with a new bush installed and not move all over the place   .I should have taken a picture  and yes that was the one i ordered from Milners.I had an l200 up on a ramp today and his was the same as mine no outer rubber left @ all.Milners did comment that they sell loads of these bushes .
I will have a look at mine in a few weeks and see if it has seperated.
Any how  still at a loss as far as the clunking .
One thing i noticed was the L200 would rev round to 4500 rpm(same age /same engine) with litte effort and mine struggles to go past 3000rprm , i measured the ajusting screw beside the turbo and both trucks were set to exactly the same ?.
pauliexjr
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may sound stupid, but is your hydraulic jack secure in it's little cubby hole under the O/S rear seat?

We had a similar thing, went all over our Sport's rear suspension, it was only when we had my son and his wife in the back he mentioned something 'clunking' underneath him, checked the bottle jack and it had come loose and was sliding about under braking!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Challenger / Sport technical forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: