2Gether Insurance 01945 585322

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

different size tyres part-time 4wd

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Wheels, tyres, suspension, brakes and steering
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alexhenderson

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 0:51    Post subject: different size tyres part-time 4wd Reply with quote

Hello,

I have 205/80r16 on the front, and 215/70r16 on the back. I have part-time 4wd (2H,4H,4L).

Is it ok to use 4wd briefly on loose surfaces when I need to and switch back out into 2wd?

I have been doing this for a while now and it has seemed fine. I'm thinking that the loose dirt or sand will allow any size difference to scrub out?

What do you think?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 0:51    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

trekker

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 7:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

From your post, it seems you're aware of the risk of damage to the transmission, as on our part time the front and rear propshafts have to rotate at the same speed, it's a solid mechanical drive.

Those tyres have 1 inch difference in dia, so 3 inch rolling distance difference for each revolution.

So it's not a good idea, as not all loose gravel surface is loose, some invariably has good grip. Yes the tyres will have to give, but there'll be strain too.

But for a few metres, you can stop, engage 4WD, then back into 2WD and later into 4WD again, all whilst on the move.
Simon_W

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 7:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

For very short distances at low speed on loose surfaces I would think it would be OK.  But you're going to increase tyre wear and may lose a small amount of traction due to slippage.
alexhenderson

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 2:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alrighty thanks. I think I may get some new tires - all 205/80r16
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Wheels, tyres, suspension, brakes and steering All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: