QuoteSeek comparison service

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

GETTING STARTED ON USING VEG OIL - some info

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Bio-diesel / SVO / alternative fuels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jay reKx
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Cancer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 14:49    Post subject: GETTING STARTED ON USING VEG OIL - some info Reply with quote

Hi I have a 2.8 lwb mk2 shogun (4m40 engine etc.)

I've been reading around the forums, but opinion seems a little divided in places, and then there are other places selling conversion kits for huge sums of money, saying you can't do this that and the other, but ...

Can I, could I, take a bottle of svo from the supermarket, chuck it in a jerry can of deisel (50/50 or whatever ratio) give it a shake and chuck it in the fuel tank? Is it really that simple?

whats the worst that can happen - i.e fuel pumps/filters/seals -&  how hard is it to rectify these possible problems one may hypothetically ecounter oneself?, and what is the recommended procedure for starting off with svo?

the other option is to sell her and buy a fec king micra or something, and that well, isn't really an option at all

thanks folks  Cool
reKx
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 14:49    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

mark dale
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 15:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes   Laughing

I've been running on SVO and WVO for about 6 years now, after meeting a load of delica folks at the first Mega Meet   -  Taz also at same time became a bit of a convert .....

things have changed a bit over the years about the best way to do it etc, but probably the easiest start up now is :

Create a mix outside of your tank in a jerry can etc  , to ensure even mixing

start with a low percentage at first, in case your engine doesn't like it - eg go 5%, 10 % then 20%, 30%, 40%, 50 %   over a few top ups - you can add petrol to say 10% of the mix, and some 2 stroke oil - 100ml or so

never fill up the full tank, until you are comfortable that it runs Ok at that mix, thus it allows for you to dilute it down with more diesel if eg only 1/2 a tank has the new mix in

change the fuel filter a few weeks after you have started

maybe fit an inline filter

be prepared to sort the fuel pump seals  (£200ish fix with Club contacts - Chris Cars, or Mark3 Mobilemechanic) - this may or may not need doing

If using WVO, cold filter it down to at least 1 micron

read loads of info on Pocuk, and the Biodiesel forums, and don't blame anyone as it is all experimentation !! Laughing

enjoy the savings

hope this helps,

mark the chef " cooking in fuel" dale

Last edited by mark dale on Mon May 19, 2014 9:08; edited 1 time in total
subzero

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 20:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you can

The kits heat the oil up to make it thinner so you can run more veg oil all year round

Front pump seal weak point on the 2.8
Jay reKx
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 20:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the replies guys, this is just what I was hoping for!

cheers all, and hope you had a good start to the new year Smile
bobblake

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you can.
Only trouble with supermarket oil is it is nearly the same price as diesel.
Get your oil from bookers £15 odd for 20 lt = 75 p lt

Always mix out side the tank.
Fit a flat plate heater, this will thin the oil which wont put added strain on your pump.
When you 1 st use oil you can find it picks up all the cr*p in the tank and lines,
Blocking your filter.
So you should always carry a spare fuel filter and know how to change it at the side of the road.
Don't forget the tank filter Question

I ran on 95/90% WVO + 5/10% Petrol for 3 winters.

Your car must be in good condition to run oil.
Make sure your 4 glow plugs are working.

I am now on biodiesel which i make but can always revert back to WVO if i haven't got any made.
bob
KanesFist

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 0:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

pointed here by mark ... now bookmarked
Walt

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been running on supermarket oil for good few months now, changed the fuel filter only once, wasn't that bad.  recently have been using almost 90%:10% (diesel and a bit petrol) - starts very rough and have to use hand throttle for good few minutes, she does smoke at start up, and as if there's a BBQ or a chippy outside the paj  Laughing   but once warmed up, she runs sweet.  Very Happy

I always mix it outside the tank (just a shake shake shake)

apart from rough start, I haven't encountered any other issues whatsoever  Wink
slipshave

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 15:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. bit on the late side I know but the hey!!
Ran my Paj 2.8 td lwb on 95% veg oil 5% diesel. Had diesel in fuel line to start her up but the tank had been filled to brimming on pure veg oil from cash and carry. 15 lt bottles so not to much up and down with my bad back. I then drove my baby (for tis her name) from Weymouth on route to Skegness (just for the hell of it, and continued to Lincoln, Mansfield (2 nights), High peaks Derbyshire, Jodrell bank, Caernarfon, Bedgellert (1 night), Mid Wales,Barry Island, Bristol, Bath and back home. The run from Bedgellert to home in one hit). Did 250ish miles and stopped to retank with diesel. Worked out at 22 to the gallon as she wasn't empty, I just knew she wouldnt start from cold on 95% oil.
The engine pulled OK all the way but it didnt like going 40 and below and seemed a bit smokey when I pulled in for a cuppa. At no time was it run on less than 33% oil, mostly on 60-75% all told I did 1200 miles and not once did she complain. Would recommend no more than 60% mix in summer and around 10% in winter due to hard start. I do have a VOW2 inline fuel heater fitted but in the winter months it doesnt help with starting.
I never add petrol to my mix and as I said I had no problems.
Hope you find this useful.
Mark. Cool
bazza1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:52    Post subject: bio veg oil Reply with quote

Hi after having the fuel pump for my truck rebuilt at a cost of £2700 because this was the cheapest option than a replacement pump at £4000 on my 3;2 did I commented on the price of diesel and was told that I should put good quality diesel in the tank and also that people think  that by using biofuel they are saving expense and the planet. Truth of the matter is that existing fuel pumps can't cope with running on bio diesel proffesionaly made or otherwise because the pumps have such fine tolerances due to modern injection engine build ups that putting anything other than diesel trough them wreaks the pumps then finally the injection units. This advice don't come from a government official or a fuel company it came completely free and willingly from the fuel technition from Colchester fuel diesel pump repairs ,he said that he wasn't worried that people were listening to manufacturers governments and furl companies ie shell bp etc cause this keeps his business very busy rebuilding these pumps as they are horrendously expensive to replace. Draw your own conclusions
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Bio-diesel / SVO / alternative fuels All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: