Help the Club - Click to Buy!

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

radio swap - reversing camera install ......

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Pajero / Shogun / Montero insurers / insurance
View previous topic :: View next topic  
malky79

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 20:43    Post subject: radio swap - reversing camera install ...... Reply with quote

Hi,

I was looking at pulling out the mitsubishi  sports  oe stereo and the little cubby beneath it and putting in a 2 din 6" tft touch screen multimedia system which will give me a reversing camera / blue tooth phone kit / a stereo, a dvd player and a cd payer all in one (and possibly gps if i do it right) - has anyone done something similar in the past? are there any write ups of the process?

look forward to  your responses.

Thanks

Malky
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 20:43    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fitted an Erisin unit into my MkII last year - it works fine.

It has Bluetooth for phone, DVD, Radio, CD, SD card for music, Sat Nav and Digital TV - and everything works as it should.

The basic functions work just by plugging it into the ISO connector on the truck wiring but there are a LOT of extra wires for functions like the reversing camera, subwoofer, front camera etc. So there will be some extra wires to run through the truck.

All the wires are labelled - which is a good thing because the instruction manual is a typical Chinese one that isn't much good.

If you get one with DTV then you will need a better aerial than the one that comes with the unit - I got a Moonraker one HERE and it picks up more channels on FreeView than I get at home.

It is touch screen with a few mechanical buttons which look and feel a bit flimsy but seem to be holding up well.

Venn on here bought a Eonon one and he had trouble with the SatNav - but the SatNav on mine is faultless and is very quick and accurate. The maps on mine are dated 2011, but you can buy up to date ones off eBay for £25.
malky79

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now thats what you call a cracking reply , thanks very much for that.

Can you remember how tight the fitment was for space behind the unit? the unit I have ordered is 150mm  deep.  I have normal sized hands so I suspect the fitting and wiring is going to be an act of extreme patience!!

I don't have a problem with running in the wiring for the reversing camera an all of that type of thing but working in a confined space with hands like 2 pounds of sausages gets a bit frustrating Very Happy

I've got a few days til all the bits arrive, will probably be able to make a start on it on saturday if all goes well with deliveries. Thank for the tip on the dtv ariel.

cheers

Malky
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

It takes a bit of squashing to get some of the cables into the space, mainly because they have those big phono connectors on them but they do fit in. I managed to get them into a space just below the unit, rather than directly behind it.

After I had wired everything up I found I had some unused wires so I removed them from the multiplug that goes into the socket on the back of the head unit. They are held in by a small locking tab.

I have a Kenwood active subwoofer in my back door which connects to the speaker wires so I could remove the sub wires from the unit. Same with things like the front camera wire - I have a dash cam so didn't need another camera pointing forwards.

I had enough room to get my hands in - the wires are quite long so it can be connected and then pushed into the hole in the dash. Mine had a double DIN opening and the brackets from the standard unit fitted onto the new unit and it just pushed into the hole and is held by four screws.

My reversing camera is a cheapy off eBay - about £12 - could possibly have been better to get a more expensive one as it is not very good at night.
malky79

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

tft unit and double din cage arrived today - just waiting the reversing camera  and we will be goo to start !! Very Happy
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would start fitting the unit now - it takes a while because of all the wires - the camera will have arrived by the time you have fitted it  Very Happy

If your unit has SatNav then there will be a square antenna - I stuffed mine up under the dash near the passenger side windscreen air vent and held it with cable ties.

It works well through the plastic dash - and it is hidden out of sight.
malky79

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 17:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its pretty much in - no gps - blue tooth works a treat, radio is good, i by passed the brake sensor and tv seems to be trying but no antenna yet - dvd not working will need to look further into that.

The non iso plug on the back of the unit caused me a bit of work - I took a harness adaptor from halfords for the single plug post 93 model cut of the iso plugs and soldered  into the harness adapter supplied with my unit creating my own harness adapter plugged it into the motor and its ALIVE!

I still need to fit the reversing camera however I ended up working this weekend and  didnt get enough time to do that as well as all my wiring nonsene etc.  I also suspect the camera I have been delivered  is NOT  the exact model I ordered  but it looks and feels solid and its actually a dead wringer for the cameras used on the plant at work which produce very good quality images.

As an aside can a mod move this thread to a more appropriate location please?  I have no idea why or how i posted in an insurance board?? I'm not usually that much of a muppet...honest.

cheers

Malky
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 18:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you have got it mostly working - it takes a while to get everything working.

I just earthed the handbrake wire - there is an option in one of my menus to switch it off anyway.

If your TV aerial is the little stubby thing then it is useless - I tried two others before I got the Moonraker one - but it is quite large and needs a 12V supply. I have mine fitted under my rear parcel shelf and it picks up hundreds of stations

I had an ISO adapter from Halfords which I bought years ago for the old Sony head unit I had in previously and it was a straight plug in to get the basics working.

I put a screen protector on mine today - bought one for an iPad and there is enough to cut two out of it.
malky79

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 19:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

peteinchad wrote:
Glad you have got it mostly working - it takes a while to get everything working.

I just earthed the handbrake wire - there is an option in one of my menus to switch it off anyway.

If your TV aerial is the little stubby thing then it is useless - I tried two others before I got the Moonraker one - but it is quite large and needs a 12V supply. I have mine fitted under my rear parcel shelf and it picks up hundreds of stations

I had an ISO adapter from Halfords which I bought years ago for the old Sony head unit I had in previously and it was a straight plug in to get the basics working.

I put a screen protector on mine today - bought one for an iPad and there is enough to cut two out of it.

Quality Tip Pete - I'm off to e-bay now Very Happy cheers
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 20:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you get one for the big iPad - I got two for my 7 inch screen out of it.

It is also matt so cuts down the reflections.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Pajero / Shogun / Montero insurers / insurance All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: