Automotive handbooks / manuals

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Indicators stopped working, advice welcomed - Now Fixed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Electrical issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pegasus79

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 20:09    Post subject: Indicators stopped working, advice welcomed - Now Fixed Reply with quote

Hi All, bought a 96 Shogun LWB 3.0 last week. There are a few faults which I am working through but in the meantime I have a major issue with the indicators..  When purchased indicators worked all okay and also hazard lights etc. Car does have a towbar fitted which previous owner had not used for last 8 years. As I tow a caravan and the single 7 pin socket was corroded badly, I took it to my local trailer shop and they fitted a new 7 pin socket and tested it on a light rig in front of me. Drove away and all worked well, same day I stripped rear door and took out the corroded number plate lamps for repair.

Left car for two days and then drove it today, indicators worked with the alarm/ central locking. Got to the end of street and indicators worked for a few seconds then slowly stopped.. Now nothing when I try to indicate or use Hazards nothing lights up at any of the indicators and or the turn lights on the dash, weirdly the aftermarket bulb on the dash which should only work when towing does come on when you indicate. There is no relay clicking and the alarm still flashes the lights when unlocking and locking.. For reference the number plate light loom is unplugged still but can't see how this would affect the indicators?

Any ideas before I start looking for the flasher relay and or taking switches apart? Will check the wiring at the 7 pin plug which the trailer shop did, but it all worked when he showed me and I drove home around 10miles.

Any advice would be welcomed, Matt

Last edited by Pegasus79 on Fri Jul 10, 2015 14:58; edited 1 time in total
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 20:09    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does sound like the flasher relay has died.

I doubt it is the column switch as you have no flashers with the hazard switch either.

Seems a bit odd that it happened after the trailer place did work on it.
Pegasus79

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

peteinchad wrote:
It does sound like the flasher relay has died.

I doubt it is the column switch as you have no flashers with the hazard switch either.

Seems a bit odd that it happened after the trailer place did work on it.

Thanks Peteinchad, I had that thought also or maybe the Cat 1 alarm was playing up somehow as it now won't recognise the back door is shut and you have to lock/ unlock doors on the key.

The only thing I can think is that the flasher relay needs upgrading for the extra lights and towing pack? It may have had one when the towbar was fitted but in the last 8 years been replaced with a standard type and then testing with the light board/ connecting to my caravan has Finished it off.

Will look in towing section for any details on an upgraded relay.
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

My towbar electrics have a slave relay to take the strain of the extra lights off the truck one - maybe yours has had it removed sometime in the past.
Pegasus79

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 15:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

peteinchad wrote:
My towbar electrics have a slave relay to take the strain of the extra lights off the truck one - maybe yours has had it removed sometime in the past.

Thanks Peteinchad, where is your slave relay located out of interest? Also anyone confirm if the Flasher Relay is in the driver kick panel behind the plastic cover?

Thanks, Matt
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 15:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flasher relay HERE

My slave relay is behind the plastic panel that encloses the rear air con unit.
Pegasus79

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 15:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

All fixed now, thank you for the pointers Peteinchad

Turned out it was the flasher relay that was sticking (original blue Hella type) now replaced with new generic type of ebay for fraction of price mitsi spares wanted.

Also rewired my towbar electrics and used the main earth point under the rear seats which improved the lights immensely on the caravan.
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 15:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you got it fixed.

Apparently there is a connector in the cubby hole under the rear seats for the towbar electrics - one of those things I intended looking for but never got round to.
Pegasus79

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 19:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

peteinchad wrote:
Glad you got it fixed.

Apparently there is a connector in the cubby hole under the rear seats for the towbar electrics - one of those things I intended looking for but never got round to.

I found the main loom that runs inside the cubby and also 2 connector plugs which the larger supplies the rear lights/ indicators etc out and under the rear of the car. Previous owners can used scotch blocs on these terminals which I ripped out and soldered correct 7 core trailer cable into, replacing the 2 x 1.0mm household flexes that had been used... Never ceases to amaze me the bodges you find. Used the earth behind it as said above.

Now got the job of fitting Cat Back exhaust system tomorrow - weather permitting.
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 19:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScotchLoks  are wonderful inventions - they let people with absolutely no ability make a total mess of any wiring job. They should be banned!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Electrical issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: