Automotive handbooks / manuals

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

newbie needing help plz

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Newbies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcclelland87

Zodiac: Leo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 13:54    Post subject: newbie needing help plz Reply with quote

hi guys been looking through forum for a couple of days looking for some help bought myself a pajero. The person I got it from saying it had a british engine put in at some point. As having a uk engine there are some wiring diffrences on the top coolant housing only the coolant temp sensor is connected i know by reading through some posts that one other of the sensors is at temp sensor but have no connector for it. Reason i am saying this that i have a gearbox problem when put into drive as if its in like 3rd gear or limp mode not got much power going up hill struggles can put into 2 n gives it a little burst of acceleration will go to 60/70 but takes an age and no kickdown. Things i have tried are adjustment of kickdown cable, adjustment of tps and also tried another tps as i have a pajero i can try part off of, also tryed another speedo and the sensor at the back of the gearbox, fluid is fine also, also tried disconnecting the black connector at speedo and tried unpluging my gearbox ecu and reconnecting it (although mine is yellow connector as i have read others are blue) and no change if someone could help or point me in direction please starting to pull my hair out and just want to go out and enjoy the thing .
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 13:54    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 14:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm assuming that it is a 2.8 because of the electrical connector on the speedo - what year is it?

I didn't think that there were any major differences between a Shogun engine and a Pajero engine - but I may be wrong

If I understand you correctly, the gearbox changes OK but you have no Overdrive (4th gear)

I assume you have not switched it off accidentally on the gear selector - if the dash bulb has blown then it is difficult to know if it is switched on or off.

Try removing the connector off the sensor with the white socket and joing the two contacts together with a bit of wire pushed into them. This will rule out a faulty sensor - with those contacts connected you should get Overdrive.

The sensors are shown below

mcclelland87

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 14:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is a 1996 swb auto. sorry  if i have not described it properly when its in drive it stays in one gear the hole time and does not have any power goin up hills with no kick down and the overdrive lights up if a press the swich same with hold and power the connector you are describing is not pluged in an as if there is no connector for it but looks like a diffrent housing on mine
Andy1966

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 15:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

we had a similar problem problem on our 2.8
it seemed to struggle and no overdrive the wire for it is blue and white with a single spade connector on the end of it
the wire on ours was hanging down the side of the pump
what i did was use a lenght of wire i put a ring connector on one end of it and a male spade connector on the other i plugged the male spade into the blue and white wire and put the ring connector to the earth point on the pass side inner wing
took it for a test drive and hey presto overdrive worked it drove alot better
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 15:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mitsy changed the sensor in February 1996

Up to that date it had a single wire - LIKE THIS

And after that they fitted a 2 wire sensor - LIKE THIS

Have a read of THIS

and check the adjustment on your kickdown cable LIKE THIS

As said above - the wire will be dangling somewhere.
mcclelland87

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 16:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks guys have a look back at it again tomorrow and try get a pic up of the wiring i have. I take it its overdrive problem thats giving me the hassle as i thought it was stuck in limp mode as its only in what feel like one gear and does not go up or down any gears fells slugish and can get a slight burst of acceleration if slot into position 2 on the gear stick.
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 16:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did you check the ATF level?

It should be checked hot as follows:

1 Once up to temperature - put handbrake on and foot on footbrake.

2 Put the selector into each of the positions for 20-30 seconds.

3 Return the selector lever to Neutral

4 With the engine still running remove the dipstick - wipe and replace.

5 Remove dipstick and the ATF level should be between to top two marks.

It should be a dark cherry red and shouldn't have a burnt smell to it.
mcclelland87

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 20:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just waited till it was running at normal running temp will try that way also
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Newbies All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: