2Gether Insurance 01945 585322

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Auto Challenger radiator

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Air Con / Heater issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emax
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 14:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello vijay

Brilliant, thanks for that. I will give it a go....  if it stops raining.

It is difficult to see where it is leaking. Judging by the previous posts I read the plastic tank cracking seems to be the usual culprit. I can't really see why that seal would start to leak, so Mine is probably cracked as well, in which case it will be chemical metal strikes again Laughing  

see me puddened up
emax
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 14:47    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

emax
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

The plastic tank was cracked right where it joined the metal part of the rad. I tried Chemical metal which did not work. I cleaned it all again and Araldited it with some fibreglass scrim, that did not work either. I admitted defeat and bought  a new rad.

Up side was, I changed the ATF  Laughing

see me saving for the next disaster Very Happy
emax
vijay

Zodiac: Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

it was worth a try Smile  What rad did you get and from where?
emax
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 15:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitley worth a try. Had it been in an easier place to access I think i could of done it.

I read all the radiator posts on here, some said  it was  alright to use the thinner one (32 mm) and some say it was not and to only use the 42 mm.

In the end,  as it is almost mot time and I don't know what I will have to buy next Confused , i got the cheapest one from ebay (£65.00 inc del 32mm).
There was one seller on fee bay selling heavy duty rads "good for towing", but there were no measurements given and I rather suspect it was the same as all the thinner ones but just more expensive, looked that way anyway.

I will take the top of the old one and see if it is furred up. Should be interesting as I have had the intrepid Paj for nine years and it has  been flushed every year and new antifreeze with distilled water for re filling.

The old one is all copper and it is a weighty item so I should get a few quid scrap for it  Laughing it's Probably worth more in scrap than the new one cost. Laughing

see me weighing in  Laughing  
emax
vijay

Zodiac: Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 17:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume you have a Pajero/Shogun rather than a Challenger?
emax
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 18:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assumption corrrect Laughing pajero (94)
emax
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Radiator research

I have had the vehicle for  11 years not 9 as said before Confused . It had a lot of soft stuff like silt inside. what it looked like inside.

after it dried  out a  bit

After I washed it with a hose pipe .

I can't imagine what the sludge was, as I said I have always used radflush and distilled  water with new antifreeze. I would hope that had I used radflush again that it would have removed all that stuff.

The ATF cooler/heater was hollow which I did not know.

jimmybond

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like oil been in there to me.
it always goes grey or white like in your picture.
emax
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

JB ...Ain't you just the cheerful one  Laughing  Laughing

I am hoping you are wrong, but to be honest  I thought the same, however I would almost certainly say that it is not oil as when it dries, it dries hard and cracks, and if you rub it between your fingers it is not oily, also although it is difficult to see it in the photos it is a copper greenish colour.

The other thing that gives me a bit of hope that it is not the dreaded, is I have read on here many many times  when a head gasket is suspected/confirmed the owner has said there is no oil in the water or water in the oil. I would have thought that if it were oil it would have shown in the water. The expansion tank was clean and the antifreeze mix  was not cloudy when drained. It is not overheating or bubbling so hopefully it is ok.

If it is not oil I think it may have been the pink antifreeze I used, which reacted with either the cooling components or the blue antifreeze I put back in. The red stuff was very difficult to remove and I was never really confident that I got it all out.

Strangely enough it seems to have been running cooler since the new rad was fitted. Not sure why that would be as I thought the thermostat would keep it as the same temperature Confused

I have a long drive this week so I will be able to give the new rad a real test.

Good or bad news I will report back after the good test.

See me sweating !!!!!
emax
emax
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 18:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

All good... and the head temperature is 10 degrees cooler with the new radiator.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Air Con / Heater issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: