Help the Club - Click to Buy!

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

DIY spray painting

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Other vehicles technical Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Simon_W

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

The procrastinator wrote:

I though you were supposed to apply the clear coat while the colour coat is still tacky?

Too late, if that's correct!  Embarassed

I've been getting all the various patches sorted (it is an S210 Merc, so there are plenty of them) and sprayed with metallic paint and then covering them all with clear coat.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:31    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

Simon_W

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

tom fenton wrote:
You can do wet on wet when using "proper" 2 pack lacquer that has a hardener in it, as that dries/cures/hardens/goes off due to chemical reaction, but I wouldn't recommend it when using rattle cans as they rely on the solvent evaporation.

If at all possible I would try to use 2 pack lacquer if you can. The stuff in aerosol cans just isn't hard or durable enough for your repair to stay looking good over time.

Case in point, I did the wheels on my Shogun in silver, I lacquered them with spray can lacquer, even within a month or two they looked awful and the brake dust had permanently marked the wheels.
Re did them and used 2 pack lacquer and plenty of it, they still look good now 2 years later, and just a wash with a sponge and soapy water and they cvome back up like the day I did them.

Thanks Tom. I suspect I will get rust bubbles reappearing long before my one-pack lacquer fails.  

I am grateful to you for your tip about the wheels though. That's my next project so I will definitely take your advice and use two pack lacquer. Thanks.

There's some corrosion of the alloy under the current paint layer on the wheels. Do you know if standard 'etch primer' is OK on alloy or should I be using a yellow chromate?
tom fenton
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Leo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acid etch has always worked for me, the spraying of the wheels is the easy bit, its the prep that takes the time. To be honest its a close call as to if its worth it, there are places near here that will do an acceptable job powder coating from £20 a wheel including blasting them first, and other places that will do a top job at £40 a wheel.
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 13:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon_W wrote:

I've been getting all the various patches sorted.

You've got me started now Simon!

Thought that I would sort out the scratches put on it by the previous owner - he sprayed them with little patches of the wrong shade of silver.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Other vehicles technical Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: